“Good Food! Good Service!”
Review of Seaport Bistro

Seaport Bistro
Ranked #28 of 49 Restaurants in Avalon
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Seaport Bistro at the Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa offers culinary excellence with an international flair. Executive Chef Gregory Wenger treats you to a sampling of his favorite dishes from seaports near & far. Sample flavors from the shores of Mediterranean Spain, Greece, Morocco and Italy. We, of course, highlight our own Pacific shores & bring you our favorites, including local Catalina offerings, when available. There's something for everyone - from delicious comfort food to unique global flavors. Get away from it all at the Bistro at the Canyon.
San Marcos, California
“Good Food! Good Service!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I both enjoyed our dinners. She had the sand dabs, caught by the chef that morning, in a light wine and lemon sauce. I had the paella which had an outstanding amount of seafood - not a fork full that did not contained seafood or fish! Different presentation as the base for the paella was tomato sauce based but still enjoyed it. Also the dinner portion salad was large enough for two to share. Service was excellent with both the waitress and busboy inquiring about our food. And to top it off, the chef came out to say thank you for the compliments. May the dinner! It is worth the walk up the hill.

• Visited May 2014
lisakate111, Guest Relations Manager at Seaport Bistro, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for the great review. We find that people who have a short walk before dinner have an even greater appetite - we're glad you enjoyed the portions and the abundance of seafood. We appreciate the comment on our service and we're glad that Chef Greg was able to meet you in person. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are on Catalina Island.

Seattle, WA
“Not much ambiance but you won't notice because the food is so amazing”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We had the Spanish paella and the Moroccan tagine. Not many restaurants can handle that level of diversity on the menu. Both were as good as anywhere we have been served. The service was friendly and warm. We plan to eat there again tomorrow night. Why go to a touristy place and eat overpriced food that isn't as good? This is a definite must try on our list.

• Visited October 2013
Brea, California
“Way over-rated in previous reviews.”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

After reading the other reviews of this place, my wife, daughter and I were really excited about finding a decent eatery on Catalina (where there are very few options for good food). Unfortunately, our expectations were WAY TOO HIGH. On the positive side, the Tapenade was interesting and the Child's Mac and Cheese offered a surprisingly good update on normally similar fare from every restaurant. But, the excitement stopped there. My Crab and Lobster Ravioli lacked anything that would make them remarkable, my wife's Snapper had a strong fish smell and my daughter's Eggplant Parmesan lacked anything that would make you want to come back and try it again. (My wife should have returned her Snapper, but our granddaughter was getting tired of sitting and the service was slow enough that it didn't seem worth the effort.)

I judge service, in part, by whether or not I have to ask for a refill on my water or ice tea. We were never offered water and I had to ask for a refill on my ice tea. We even had to ask for a service setting for our daughter and granddaughter. To me, this is a real "fail" on service.

The decor is minimalistic; which makes it look like someone just moved some tables into a room, put up a few pictures, put some material over the lights and called it "done". But, to be honest, we had read that in other reviews and went there for the food; not the ambiance.

Needless to say, our expectations from all the other reviews were seriously shattered. I simply cannot believe the disparity between our experience and what others had to say. We will not be back.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bob S
“Go for the excellent food, not the ambiance”
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a stylish, hip, or romantic setting -- this is not it. The dining space reminded me of a room where you might eat the free continental breakfast at a Holiday Inn Express. Right down to the Formica banquet tables and conference room stackable chairs. BUT... If you want fabulous food and don't care about the setting, then RUN to eat here. The chicken tagine was amazing, as was the fried chicken and sand dabs. Prices were reasonable... Most things $15 to $20. Easy walk from the heart of Avalon. I recommend the food without reservation.

• Visited August 2013
Los Angeles, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden Gem of Avalon”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Went there three nights in a row!! So much variety and everything we had was incredible. Started off with some tuna tartar then had a wonderful Sirloin steak while my friends shared the Dips and Dabs which was locally caught by Executive Chef Greg himself!! Then we finished off with Creme Brulee and Peanut butter pie. If you're visiting Catalina, its a must!!

• Visited July 2013