“Better than expected.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Pasadena, California
“Better than expected.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Catalina Island Inn is so nice. I've seen some questionable reviews about it so I was hesitant about my decision but went with my gut instinct. Glad I did. Not only were all of the employees friendly, but also helpful and honest with recommendations. Called the front desk for an iron. Got it in 2 min max. I understand it's their off peak season, but still great. We got Rm 214. It was so inviting. It has a ton of windows, of which a few open up to an ocean view. Right outside our door is access to a very cozy balcony, which my daughter loved. I loved that Vons was next door. Very convenient. My only 2 heads up : The shower stall is compact. I had a comfortable shower, but if I had needed to shave, it may have been a little tricky, since I'm not a size 2. To those of you who might have a problem with it, the Vons brings a lot of customers. It's tranquil most of the day. No one should really be in their rooms in such a beautiful island anyhow. The noisy ones come at night, probably to buy alcohol. No worries. Vons closes at 10 pm. I found it amusing. Just ask for a room further back. I wouldn't think twice about staying at Catalina Island Inn again, nor would I hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jennnifer F, Manager at Catalina Island Inn, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thanks for staying with us at Catalina Island Inn and writing your kind review. Our staff works very hard and cares about every guest. As you stated, we are located next to Von's, just 1/2 block from the harbor and center of town. From time to time street sounds do carry up to some of our guest rooms. But we try everything in our power to insure each visitor a peaceful and pleasant stay ---- thanks for your understanding. We look forward to having you with us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Wellington, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

We have stayed at this hotel in the past and had very good experiences. While the hotel itself is quite unique (no elevator) and 30's & 40's themed, we were unhappy with our last stay in January. We accepted their Winter rates special that included boat and taxi fares. What we received was a VERY TINY ROOM with Queen bed. Room was nicely appointed, but it felt so claustraphobic that we were uncomfortable the entire time. This room was barely large enough for one person. It was our 30th anniversary and we were looking forward to a leisurely time but felt we needed to be out of the room most of the time.

Room Tip: Be sure your room is adequately sized before you book.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jennnifer F, Manager at Catalina Island Inn, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thanks for your review of the Catalina Island Inn. We're sorry that your recent visit didn't meet your expectations. Our classic Queen non-view rooms are economical in size and price. But we have some tremendous deals for winter travelers to save up to 50% off all of our suites with fireplaces and King Bed harbor view rooms with balconies. When guests call the hotel asking for an anniversary trip to remember our staff can give exact room dimensions, amenities and their best recommendations. We also have photos and details on our website. Our least expensive rooms figure prominently into the discount packages and work great for many travelers. But package upgrades are also available for an additional fee. We hope you'll give Catalina Island Inn another try. We care about our guests!
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

This is a nice hotel. It appears to have been updated recently and the rooms are very nice. No view on the lower floors, so book a room on the third or fourth floor if you want a view. As with most of the hotels on Catalina Island, there is no elevator, so be prepared to carry your bags up the stairs. You are close to the beach, restaurants, shops, etc. You can walk anywhere from this hotel, even the Catalina Express is not too far to walk. The complimentary breakfast is just ok, but nice to have. We have stayed here several times and it is always a nice stay.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the harbor, book a room on the third or fourth floor. Call and ask which room...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jennnifer F, Manager at Catalina Island Inn, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thanks for your review of the Catalina Island Inn. We are a Victorian style hotel built originally
in 1907. Our newest ground floor rooms and suites opened in July in 2013, but we completely redecorated and upgraded in 2010. We are quintessentially Catalina. We take pride in our many repeat guests and visitor recommendations. We look forward to having you stay with us
again soon.
Glendora, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Well my boyfriend and I came to Catalina Island for my birthday in Jan 2014. It was my first time to the island so I chose a hotel at random based on the website. Well I was not disappointed! This hotel was wonderful! It was a beautiful place and nice and cozy. It was located close to all the shops and restaurants so it was very easy to get everywhere. We arrived way earlier then our check in time but they took us right away. And we had a pleasant surprise when we arrived. Our queen room on the third floor was upgrade to a king room on the first floor with a private patio and fireplace at no extra charge! The whole staff was very friendly and made us feel very welcome! The room was clean, modern, and beautiful! They have a small continental breakfast in the morning. Simple stuff like coffee, juice, oatmeal, muffins, etc. For us it was perfect and they even provide trays so you can take it back to your room. And after we checked out they even held our luggage for us until our boat left later that afternoon. I give this place 5 stars! When I come back to Catalina Island I am definitely going to choose this place again and I already started recommending this place to all of my friends if they ever visit Catalina Island! Thank you so much!!

1 Thank Meg_641
Jennnifer F, Manager at Catalina Island Inn, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for your review of the Catalina Island Inn. Belated Birthday wishes! We love pampering our guests and having them appreciate our efforts. Our owners encourage the generosity and special concierge-type service for visitors that our staff so ably provides. And we have all of the amenities you so kindly mentioned available for all guests to enjoy. Thanks for acknowledging what we "love to do". It will be a delight to host you at the Catalina Island Inn again soon.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed here just after New Years. Easy walk (with luggage) from ferry to the hotel. Were greeted by friendly staff and were able to check in early. Had read in earlier review that rooms were very small. And indeed our queen room was very tight, but for two people for 2 nights, it was do-able. Don't expect to share the shower with your significant other though! The finishes were modern and everything very clean so it made up for the lack of space. Room was quiet except for the morning hours when trash was dumped outside in alley-way by the grocery store next door. But we were awake before they did this so didn't bother us. Other details...shower had great pressure and plenty of hot water so that was a big plus. Also got a peek inside one of the king suites and it looked very spacious...will consider that next time. Overall beautiful hotel and great experience. Would recommend and will visit again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Jennnifer F, Manager at Catalina Island Inn, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thanks for your review of the Catalina Island Inn! We pride ourselves on an efficient layout in our rooms which is important on Catalina where the use of space is of premium importance. Our King balcony harbor-view rooms are large and lovely. The ground floor King bed fireplace rooms with private patios are even more fabulous. Check out photos of all of our rooms out on our website and come back to stay with us again soon.
Orange, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

My stay at the Catalina Island Inn was one of the most pleasant experiences at any hotel I've been at. The staff greeted us courteously and allowed us to store our bags and check in early given the timing of the Catalina Express arrival times. I did notice some hotels had private shuttles for picking up their guests, and I could offer that as a suggestion to Catalina Island Inn to make the guests really feel the red carpet treatment from the time they get off of the boat. However they do provide taxi vouchers which are just as easy.
I stayed at the Catalina Island Inn as part of their Winter Package and opted for the King room with a fireplace and private patio. It was one of the most immaculate rooms I've ever stayed at. Everything is brand new, extremely spacious, elegant, even the soap smelled amazing. As part of the package there was a bottle of champagne waiting for us on ice which was a pleasant surprise. The patio had a retractable canopy and the patio chairs were so comfortable it was great to sit out there and have breakfast and just relax at night. The fireplace gave the room an incredible ambiance and the flatscreen TV with DVD player was very modern even if we didn't use it much. The king size bed was very comfortable. Truly a 5 star experience.
I have been to Catalina once before and have seen the reviews of other hotels being old and outdated. I knew this to be a possibility so I was skeptical at the pictures of the Catalina Island Inn, but the Catalina Island Inn delivered above and beyond what I imagined. I recommend this hotel to anyone interested.

Room Tip: I thoroughly enjoyed the Patio / Fireplace rooms, although I've read good things about the Balco...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of the Catalina Island Inn. It's an enjoyable 10 minute stroll from the harbor to the hotel or taxis are readily available. (They charge a flat rate of $10.60 irregardless of the number of passengers). And as you stated ---those visitors booking a vacation package with us receive a complimentary taxi voucher. We're glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our new private patio suites--- they are spectacular! You had such nice compliments, we look forward to sharing your review with our hard working staff! Thanks from everybody at Catalina Island Inn. Come back again soon!
Duesseldorf, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed at the Catalina Island Inn in January 2014. The inn is centrally located in Avalon, next to a Vons. The inn is a beautiful old building (early 1900s) and as such has no elevator, which is not a problem. The staff was friendly and courteous during check-in.

Our room was a no-view queen on the 3rd floor. The bedroom was spacious enough, and the bedroom set was beautiful. However, there was no closet, just a rung with hangers. There was a small fridge on the floor.

The bathroom was very small, and the vanity was located in the room itself. The shower felt tight, but the space was adequate for me (187 cm / 6'2"). Larger persons may find the space too small.

The one negative was that the rooms do not have very good noise isolation and you can hear most noises from the hallway.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay and I would return. The hotel's central location and reasonable pricing make it a good choice for Avalon.

One note: we took a taxi from the port, but the inn is located relatively close to the port, so we should have probably walked. The taxi was overpriced at $11.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Jennnifer F, Manager at Catalina Island Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thanks for your review. The Catalina Island Inn is pleased to offer a variety of lodging options and amenities ranging from family accommodations to luxurious private patio suites and harbor view rooms with balconies. All of the room types (pictured in detail on the Inn's website) reflect what you will experience when you stay at the hotel. Our reservation staff is happy to assist guests in selecting a room that fits all needs, plans and budgets. Operators can answer specific questions about the size, configuration and location of each room within the hotel and it's proclivity for hallway sounds.
We hope you return to stay with us again soon.