“Don't book for the view when you open your sliding door all you hear is the refridgeration vents from the Von's rooftop”

Catalina Island Inn
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 28 September 2010

The hotel was very clean and the room was nice. I booked the 4th floor king bed suite with the amazing view.There is no elevator in this hotel so pack light. Lots of stairs when your on the top floor. When we opened the curtains we saw the Von`s roof top and when we opened the sliding door all you hear is the horrible noise from the refridgeration for the Von`s grocery store. Not worth the price for the noise. Also don`t expect a phone, no phone in the room you have to go down two flights to call the front desk, which also closes at nine.There is no air conditioning also. The front staff isn`t the most helpful as well. Tried to book trips and they didn`t seem very interested in helping us. Was told go to the tourist booth on the pier.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 15 September 2010

We stayed at Catalina Island Inn,We LOVE IT...Beatiful Place, Nice and Clean Rooms, Friendly Staffs,Very Close to Everything.We enjoyed our stayed There.....

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Great hotel with comfortable beds. Stayed as a family of two adults and two teenagers. Two single beds and one double or queen (can't remember). We didn't have a view but we were hardly in the room so it didn't matter. Hotel was freshly decorated. Expedia picture is outdated and does not reflect the remodeling. Good location. We were able to walk from ferry in less than ten minutes with luggage.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
las vegas
Reviewed 14 August 2010

stayed at the catalina island inn for 2 nights. got a room w/ king bed and balcony. this inn has been recently renovated. the room was very clean and nice looking w/ neutral colors of the wall, comforters, and bathroom. seems that everything appeared new. balcony was nice to have although our view was a rooftop of shops next door. this inn is very close to all the shops and restaurants available in catalina. front desk was very nice but they are not open at night. if you need extra towels or anything, you have to wait until they open in the morning at 800am. housekeepers were nice and they provided us w/ extra towels we needed. they serve continental breakfast (danish, coffee, juice) in am. room is small but i think all the rooms in catalina tend to be small anyway. vons is next door which is very convenient to have if you want to buy alcohol and just relax in your balcony or on the inns balcony on the 2nd floor. definitely need to rent one of those golf carts to view catalina! this inn is close to everything!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed 14 July 2010

My niece and I were planning to stay 2 nights in Avalon.The hotel I normally stay in was booked so we looked for another hotel in Avalon. After contacting most of the hotels in Avalon, we found the Catalina Island Inn. They had a cruise ship style room with 2 twin beds. Many of the hotels in Avalon were built many decades ago so the rooms tend to be smaller than what we experience on the mainland. Knowing this, I was not concerned about the space of the room.

The Catalina Island Inn is about about a half a block from the beach on Metropole so it was perfect! It was about a 10 minute walk from the Catalina Express dock. We checked in quickly and went up to the second floor room. The room was very clean and it looked like the hotel made improvements recently. Everything looked new. The flooring was clean and there were no stains. The bathroom was small but immaculate. I would recommend putting a towel on the bathroom floor because when it was wet from getting out the shower, it was slippery. The room had a ceiling fan. I am not sure if there was air conditioning because we did not need it. The room did not offer a view but we didnt go to Catalina to stay in the room. There is a balcony at the front of the 2nd floor hallway where you can sit outside and enjoy the view or just read a book. They offer a pastry breakfast from 8am to 10am on the first floor.

Only one thing I would like to mention for people who may be handicapped. I did not see an elevator so climbing stairs might be an issue.

In the past, I stayed in other hotels in Avalon but never made a recommendation. The Catalina Island Inn is where I will be staying everytime I come to Avalon.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
beverly hills, CA
Reviewed 9 June 2010

This last minute find was more than i ever expected from a quiet Catalina inn! The inn was only a short walk from the Catalina Express landing, and we didn't mind walking because the weather was beautiful and the ped-only street leading up to it was beautiful. Crescent Avenue (the mentioned street) was lined with eateries of all kinds, an charming candy shop, and coffee shops of all kinds. The street was also paved with beautiful ceramic painted tiles. First of all, the entrance is spotless, featured lovely and had a lovely picture window out to the street. The front desk area featured hard wood floors with a pretty compass rose design in it. The reason i was so pleased when is saw this was because it made me confident that my room would echo this clean and gorgeous theme. When i first arrived, the front desk employees (Salvador and Keani) were extremely helpful and not only helped me find a handful of tours to take, but also reserved my tickets right there! In addition, before i had left my house that morning, i had called to reserve a room, i asked about the newly finished descanso beach property, and Salvador ended up reserving a cabana for me in under 5 minutes! As for my room, i couldn't be more happy! I walked into my room to find a cold bottle of champagne and flowers. Although i did notice some noise early in the night, i think that this could have been unavoidable due to the golf carts driving past and the bay windows that looked out onto the street/beach/ocean that i enjoyed from my room. The bed was 10 times comfier than my bed at home, and the bathroom was wonderful! The linens, fixtures, bathroom, paint, and tvs were all replaced and the result was a beautiful and completely modern design! i loved the flat screen tvs on a swivel mount on the wall, and i also loved the continental breakfast in the morning. It was all you can eat, although i wouldn't have eaten all that much because it was all pastries, lemon squares, and breakfast breads. All in all, i loved this experience and i would recommend this hotel. The newly renovated interior and exterior was the selling point for me!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bbugbeverlyhills
San Diego
Reviewed 28 May 2010

I work at a hotel in Carlsbad and with summer a week away, I needed to rest up to better serve our guests. I took my daughter for a mini vacation to Catalina Island. We stay at the Catalina Inn & couldn't have been happier! The entire property had just been renovated and everything was was fresh, clean & inviting. We had a King bed, balcony with harbor view on the third floor. The beds were so comfy that when we arrive the first thing we did when we got to the room was take a nap (something I am never able to do at home during the middle of the day). I was shocked at the size of the room, I was a lot larger then I expected for Catalina standard. The bathroom was huge. Salvador at the front desk was always available to help with anything we needed. He is an asset to the Inn. The location was perfect, only a half a block to the water. Thank you for having us as your guests!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family