“A super wonderful small friendly staff, a lovely hotel, and nothing spared in the owner's remodel.”
Review of The Avalon Hotel

The Avalon Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Laurie of The Front Desk was a delight to book with, and a gracious hostess. The hotel is lovely, with a gorgeous rooftop and courtyard breakfast by the koi pond, with a fireplace. Laurie gave us the best tips on where to eat (on an island where fine dining isn't exactly fine) so that navigation was very helpful! We forgot a drawerful of socks and "zoom!" they sent them home to us after giving us a call. We hope to visit again soon, and repeat our shuttle up to the airport with mountain bikes to bike down through the eucalyptus allee.

• Stayed: October 2011

Reviewed 3 November 2011

What a lovely hotel! This was truly a home away from home for our family. We were on Catalina Island for business, as my husband was one of the artists performing at the Jazz Trax Festival and Laurie made it feel like it was a mini vacation for us instead of work. Our daughter was thrilled when she got to feed the koi fish every morning, as we enjoyed a lovely breakfast on the patio in front of a warm fire pit. Oh, and we were fighting over the yummy bath products that smelled like tangerine! There was a body scrub & butter that I actually used on my hands and it made them so soft and smelled divine! We will definitely stay here again! Thanks guys for treating us like royalty!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2011

This is one fine hotel! The rooms were clean and comfortable; the bathroom was spacious. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We appreciated the little touches such as the complimentary bottled waters and iced teas in the room, the cookies and coffee offered in the lobby, the luxurious soaps and lotions in the bathroom - even Q-tips and cotton balls.

The continental breakfast in the courtyard had a very good selection of food and drinks. g. We ate while listening to the gurgle of the koi pond. We had a room on the second floor (#201) and enjoyed the big balcony view of the harbor. We enjoyed our stay and we would definitely recommend The Avalon. Jam & Kathy wil return.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

The Avalon is a small hotel a few doors up a small street from the waterfront. Our room's balcony had a view of the harbor and two chairs for relaxing. The room was well-appointed with nice furnishings, flat-screen TV, refrigerator (stocked with water and juice), microwave (popcorn and coffee in cabinet), a safe for valuables, and a large light and airy bathroom with nice toiletries and robes. Everything was very clean. All the rooms are on three floors though, be aware, without an elevator, and there are stairs to reach the front door. There is a roof deck overlooking the harbor and the surrounding hills set up for daytime sun-bathing (beach bag with big towels are in the room) or evening cocktails. The substantial breakfast was presented in a pretty garden surrounded by tropical plants and a koi pond. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. We would highly recommend the hotel and hope to return again some day. And October was a great month for visiting Catalina.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Avalon Hotel for the Jazz Trax Festival. Having visited Catalina on many other occasions, we toured this hotel in 2004 and did not forget about how impressed we were. The rooms are well designed and comfortable. Lots of space in the bathroom and everything is so clean. Luxurious shower and bath products are provided for your personal use. Beds are comfy. The patio is very pleasant each morning with breakfast waiting for you. The sound of their fish pond is very soothing and relaxing. We loved the roof top deck where you can sun, sleep and share a glass of wine. I would say it is a thoughtful property and the interior is well appointed. Water and juice is placed in your room refrigerator as well on the top deck. Additionally, a big beach bag with towels and beach amenities is in your room along with coffee and popcorn for morning and evening snacks.
Laurie and Ken attend to your needs and will go out of their way to accommodate your requests. When a sore foot left me unable to hike with everyone to the Wrigley Memorial, Laurie invited me to assist her in feeding the incredible Koi fish in the pond. The property feels like you are in a home not a hotel. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the patio have the relaxing sound of the fountain and pond and you can still see the ha...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Avalon was very clean, comfortable, cozy, and pleasant. Anna and Lori were very wonderful and accomadating to us. Im going back to stay there next year on our anniversary. We absolutely loved it!

Room Tip: a balcony room if you smoke and great to see the harbor/ocean
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I've never had such a nice experience in a hotel. I don't consider myself a fussy traveler; all I want is a clean room and a comfortable bed. Of course, The Avalon met my expectations and then some. I arrived late on a Saturday evening from New York and Ken knew my name and got me checked in and into my room within minutes. He even helped me with my bag! The lobby was already modestly decorated for Halloween, which I loved, and I managed to restrain myself from the bowl of candy. My room was beautiful, great bed with a flat screen TV and a mini fridge with water and juice. The bathroom was clean, white with towels galore. The robes were luxurious as well as the tangerine sage body butter and other toiletries (Are those for sale guys?).

Since I arrived later in the day I had a quick bite at Sam's Steakhouse and drifted off to sleep. When I woke up at 7:30am I stepped out onto my balcony in absolute awe; the view of Avalon and the Pacific Ocean literally took my breath away. I was on the third floor, and the patio on the roof found away to surpass it, with 360 degree views that made me look like I took photos for a living. I enjoyed complimentary continental breakfast in the courtyard, which was also beautiful.

I had a wonderful time sightseeing in Avalon. The hotel is off the main street so it's not as noisy and I had no problems getting around on foot to the restaurants and stores. Whenever I left the hotel I always got a wave goodbye and a welcome back. The entire staff was professional and friendly.

I would definitely come back to The Avalon Hotel. Laurie and Ken were both amazing and absolutely pleasant to deal with. I was so sad I had to leave that Laurie gave me a hug! I'm already planning a spring getaway with my sister and I've told all my friends THANKS AGAIN

Room Tip: Room 301 is hands-down the nicest room, although any of the balcony view rooms would be nice
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo