The Avalon Hotel
Catalina Island Inn(Avalon)
Aurora Hotel(Avalon)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
All reviewskoi pondrooftop deckcraftsman stylecatalina islandhumming birdswrap around balconycontinental breakfastcomplimentary snacksfire pitbeach baggarden viewmurphy bedwine glasseslittle touchesbath productsbottled waterboiled eggs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My daughter and I visited Catalina Island last weekend and had a wonderful time! We stayed at the Avalon Hotel on Whittley Street in room 102. The accommodations were perfect. From the comfy bed and robes to the continental breakfast, everything was wonderful! We had a balcony with partial ocean views....all you had to do was walk out and look to the right. If we wanted more, we could go to the rooftop deck and see for miles: bright sparkling turquoise water, yachts in the harbor, and the rest of the island around and to the back of us. The staff was very friendly and helpful in every way. There was even wine and cheese on the patio our first night. The Hotel Avalon reminded me much more of a B & B than a hotel. It was very quaint. Be sure to take a cab from the ferry over to the hotel. It is included with your reservation. Loved our stay at The Avalon Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side can be a little noisy with people bustling below.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Nancy37129
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My boyfriend gave me a trip to Catalina for the weekend as a Xmas present. He chose a weekend in July, flew us over by helicopter and then booked the best room at The Avalon Hotel, 301. It has a wrap around balcony with an amazing view of the harbor and casino. The hotel staff was amazing, helpful and extremely nice. Morning breakfast in the courtyard of on the lighter side, Friday afternoon wine & cheese on the courtyard. Coffee, cookies and drinks all day along available. There is also a roof top deck with lounge chairs and BBQ. Full sun, no need to fight for a space on the small beaches.

Room 301 was a nice size. I did peak into other rooms that seemed much smaller, so I loved our room. They provided wonderful smelling soaps and shampoos in the bathroom. Everything was so clean, neat and warm. We sat out on our balcony to get some sun and enjoy some champagne that the hotel was kind enough to put in our room the first night. Diana was extremely helpful and made sure everything was wonderful. The Innkeeper, Lori, was gracious and just what you would want from a B&B owner.

Loved Catalina. Highly recommend the zipline on the island. Jake and Matt were the best guides. Had a blast and cant wait to return to the island and the Avalon Hotel. We will certainly be back for another adventure.

Room Tip: Must get Room 301. Book early as this room is worth the wait. Although on the busy street, the windows and doors are sound proof.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patty L
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My husband and I were trying to squeeze in a trip to Catalina around a demanding business trip schedule in late June. As I search for hotels, condos, b&b's, etc., I was lucky enough to find one night vacant between two longer guest reservations exactly when I needed it. I was delighted to find the avalon Hotel. Two days before my arrival, I received a call from one of the staff who was just checking to see when we'd be arriving. As it turned out, she made the ferry reservations for me, too.
After a day of cross-country travel that began at 3 a.m. EST we were exhausted. We were so glad that there was a free taxi from the ferry! Upon arrival at the hotel, we found that the staff made us feel like longtime friends who were coming for a visit.
We didn't realize that the hotel offered "happy hour" but we were so glad that they did! we needed a quick shower and then a glass of wine to relax. The views and the weather were wonderful!

We also didn't know that breakfast was included but we were so pleased that it was. At the cocktail hour and at breakfast, we met friendly people and chatted with them.... like you do at boutique hotels. Laurie and Marie (???) were very accommodating and kind. Our room had one little glitch - a toilet that didn't want to flush - but they took care of that as quickly as we mentioned it. The views from the rooftop were picturesque. Our room had a little balcony right on Whittley. We enjoyed coffee and a nightcap there. Although we are not "city dwellers" we found that the golf carts were quiet enough- especially later in the evening - that we kept the windows open during the night for the refreshing breezes.

On our way back to the ferry, we elected to walk. We had very litle luggage and the weather was spectacular, so we shopped and snacked our short distance from the hotel to the ferry for our return trip.
All in all, I heartily recommend this hotel. it is more like a friendly "inn" than a hotel. One caution... I didn't see an elevator and the steps throughout Avalon - not just at this hotel - are a bit steep.

Room Tip: For the best views, ask for a 3rd floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Just had a 2-night stay and I thought it was AVERAGE. The biggest thing was the lack of communication. They never told my party about the "free" taxi ride from the dock. We thought the hotel was close to the dock so hauled all our stuff and it turned out to be considerably further than we thought...upon arrival they told our sweaty selves that there was free taxi service. We took advantage of it when we left.

If you stay here, DO NOT accept a room above Whitley Street. The gas-powered golf carts might as well be driving through your room. Intolerably loud. It is so bad that if they don't guaranty a room in the back, I wouldn't stay there.

The rooms are spacious though the queen beds are too small for my taste. The people are friendly and accommodating. I had a bad experience because I was stuck in a bad room. However, at $500+ a night there is no excuse for that kind of experience.

Room Tip: Get one that is away from the street. VERY noisy!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Don R
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed in room 301 for 4 nights, 5 days, ocean view with wrap around balcony. It was a splurge but well worth it. From the moment we entered the room we were stunned by the beautiful views of Avalon bay and the hillsides. You are close enough to enjoy breath taking views but far enough off the main street as a buffer for the night life noise. The place is close and central for walking to everything in Avalon.
The outdoor balcony had a fridge with a freezer where we kept our frozen peas for the fish in Lover's cove and also our wine and booze. The interior of our room also had a fridge where they kept it full of water and snapple. All of the hotel folks were so nice. Laurie made sure everything was taken care of.
The room had everything we needed from cork screw to thick bath robes. The big catalina tiled bathroom was stocked with great coconut shampoos and soaps and even a hair dryer. The bed was so comfortable.
We woke up to the peaceful courtyard to a wonderful breakfast and the sound of the beautiful fountain with huge koi fish that they let us hand feed with koi food from the receptionist. I always was the early riser and they would light the fire pit to take the morning chill off. It was the most wonderful way to spent every morning planning our day's adventures.

Room Tip: 301 ocean view if you want to splurge but so worth it. Wrap around balcony was so nice to soak up the sun and enjoy the views! No elevator as advertised but we took it in stride.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple