“Paradise at the Avalon Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Avalon Hotel

The Avalon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Folsom, California
“Paradise at the Avalon Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

We had room 301 with the great wrap around deck, we never had to leave our room except to go up to the fourth floor to have an even better view. Loved the girls working the front desk, really helped us with our plans. Have always liked Catalina, now love it!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Chandler, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

We just returned from our stay at the Avalon Hotel. The weekend we visited was the Flying Fish Festival and the island was hopping! I anticipated a lot of street noise into our hotel room but with our balcony door to the street closed, we didn't hear a thing and got a GREAT night's sleep. The attention to detail at this boutique hotel is amazing. Cozy robes to wear, complimentary drinks in the room's refrigerators, a beach bag and towel in the room, fantastic memory foam mattresses, super clean and very new looking hotel. We had booked a courtyard room on the 3rd floor to save money but then decided I didn't want to climb so many stairs and asked to be moved to the 2nd floor instead (with just a 2 day advance notice of the change). They not only moved us to the 2nd floor but gave us a balcony room that had a great view of the harbor (room 203). This upgraded room should have been a lot more money but they never said anything. A complimentary bottle of champagne was waiting for us when we arrived to celebrate my husband's birthday (I had asked them if something special could be done for him and they sure delivered and it was a nice touch!). Their breakfast was well laid out and very convenient to have trays to take it back to our room and eat on our balcony while enjoying the nice weather. What was also amazing was that even though the hotel was booked to capacity the weekend we were there, we didn't see a single person staying there the entire weekend. We truly felt like we had the entire place to ourselves and it was sooo quiet with the great sound-proofing. The friendly staff were amazing and gave a lot of background on what the island had to offer and some of the history. The gal at the front desk had family that had arrived there over a100 years ago! I will definitely stay here again when I return.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DebbieArizona71
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

For a "Thank you" I took my 82-year old mother to Catalina for the Silent Movie Benefit at the Casino. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and the hotel's website, I booked with the Avalon Hotel. It was a wonderful experience from start to finish. Everyone there was incredibly nice and professional; Martha was a "stand-out"...always going above an beyond.
The hotel is beautiful; my only pause (which I VERY quickly "got over") was that with the murphy bed down (amazingly comfortable) the room was a wee small. As I said, I got over it! I hope we are able to book the exact same room next year - as the entire weekend was so delightfully memorable we will now make it a tradition for as many years as we can. Highly, highly recomended and many thanks again to sweet Martha!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

We can honestly tell the world that this hotel is the most welcoming, warming, and peaceful hotel. The staff here are the most sweetest and caring people we have ever met. My fiancée and I are here for his pre-deployment leave get-away before he goes to Afghanistan and he tells me every night (here for a 5-night stay) that he chose the right place for our stay. I couldn't agree anymore. Hands down, perfect location, warm staff, very clean, and very professional! :)
When we checked in, Martha, one of the staff here, welcomed us, chatted with us, and shared with us all of her knowledge about this island. Right then and there, we knew we loved our little vacation already. She mapped him his running trails for his morning runs and he felt greatly appreciated. Sara, another staff, was very warm also. She shared with us where to dine out and we took her advice everytime! We were very thrilled and satisfied to feel so at home. And Alberta...what can we say...she's a total sweetheart! My fiancée and I met a Vietnam War Veteran and his Wife on the way here (they visited from Las Vegas) and enjoyed their company. The couple stayed next door to is at another hotel and the husband came to check on my fiancée one morning because he didn't see him run by on his morning run. Alberta was very courteous to him and made him feel very welcomed (he told us after during a breakfast). She came to our door herself to let us know he was waiting for us. I felt really special that she walked up to get us! Everyone here is soooo nice, understanding, and make our visit here a trip to remember! We still do have 2 more nights here left but I love it sooo much here that I had to share!! My fiancée has met a lot of nice people being in the service but he says the staff here made him realize this is why he is in the service...to serve and protect our warm & friendly fellow Americans, loving and caring for each other wherever you're at. God Bless!

With Love,
C & J Marquez
Orange County, CA

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank CJMarquez
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

I just spent a night at this wonderful hotel. My fiancée and I went with another couple. We were pleasantly surprised to find our rooms were ready early and that we could check-in. On check-in they, without us asking, opened up the balcony between our two rooms. A wonderful surprise. All four of us thought that the beds were the most comfortable we have ever slept on. It was wonderful. The hotel was clean. The staff was pleasant. It was a nice hotel with a B&B feel, wonderful! The continental breakfast was great, and they even had trays you can take to your room. I served my fiancée breakfast in bed! Absolutely wonderful! One more note. The rooftop is open and has a great view. We took a bottle of wine up there and watched the sunset. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank calitocam
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2010

We have not been back to Catalina since 1994, not much has changed which is why we love it. One change has been the Avalon. We can't say enough about it. The hotel, staff, and owners were outstanding. Breakfast in the garden, the roof-top, rooms, and service can't be praised enough. We wil be back this January.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

I just visited the Avalon Hotel for the THIRD time - I can't imagine staying anywhere else on the island. This time we took our 13 year old niece and our 19 year old nephew - they flipped out just as we always do. The AMAZING beds, the gorgeous view from our room, the YUMMY soaps and scrubs provided in the bathroom, the beautiful spread on the lovely patio at breakfast, the lush robes ALL got a BIG reaction from the kids - and these are SPOILED, world-travelling kids. The staff couldn't have been lovelier - providing beach towels, extra teas - even letting the kids eat ALL the salt water taffy at the front desk - it was a vacation we'll all remember for the rest of our lives... The only downside was it all went by too quickly!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family