“It was close to everything, and excellant for our budget.”
Review of Catalina Lodge

Catalina Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Catalina Lodge
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Simi Valley, California
“It was close to everything, and excellant for our budget.”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My BFF was turning 75 and had never been to Catalina. So we took the Catalina Express (free on her birthday) I printed out all of the hotels in Avalon in price order. The least expensive was Catalina Lodge. I called and made a inquiry, made the reservation, thinking I can always call to cancel. The other hotels were more than double that price. So fortunately I was able to keep my reservation. And so glad we did. Right across the street is where you book and take your tours. Vons just around the block. Flat walking, no hills. Coffee in the office ready at 7:15am. Micro and little fridge in each room.Very clean. The parents owned it in the 70's and now Roberta and her husband own it. In the summer months the prices go up so we were blessed that this hotel was in our budget and will stay again every summer.

Room Tip: From what we read we asked for a quieter room and Roberta obliged us. We're seniors so we don...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank YoungSeniorCruiser

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Catalina Lodge and had a great experience. The Lodge is located in an ideal part of Avalon. No need to walk far to get to anything. It is located in the flatlands which make it a easy walk/bike ride coming back from the beach. The rooms are very comfortable and have everything you need including a flat screen TV(with cable TV), small refrigerator, microwave, hairdryer and FREE Wi-Fi. The rooms were small but very comfortable, clean and cozy for our family of 2 adults and 3 kids. The owners did everything they could to make sure we had a enjoyable time. They provide beach chairs and towels for all guest so no need to haul those to the island from home. Mrs. Black (the owner with her husband) was always very helpful to give us recommendations on the best deals for all the various activities. She also saved us on food costs including $1 Taco's at the Sand Trap. We will definitely return to this quiet, clean, affordable and comfortable lodge the next time we come to Catalina. It is a true find.....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jack B
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I guess I've just been spoiled by the amenities at other $200 a night hotels (including taxes). This ten unit lodge is run by a very sweet husband and wife team. Accordingly, the main desk is often unmanned although we never had a problem finding the owners during our stay.

I think this is the first place I've ever stayed that did not have air conditioning. It was sometimes slightly uncomfortable but not a deal breaker as the cool ocean breezes generally suffice. There is also no hair dryer, no in room safe or ironing board.

On the positive side, it came with a small microwave and free wifi, both cost extra at the Hilton.

It's a short block and a half walk to the beach and downtown. Roberta, the owner, gave us the low down on all the deals - saved us a lot with the groupon deal for the Catalina Flyer.

Our room was clean with a small bathroom - shower only, no tub. Very clean.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Go_with_God333
catalinarb, Owner at Catalina Lodge, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
I am happy that you enjoyed your stay at our family run 15 room on Catalina Island. However, I am puzzled that your didn't find the hairdryer or request an iron/ironing board if needed. The room amenities were listed in the confirmation email ~ hairdryers are in each room (black bag labeled with red lettering) and iron/ironing boards are available upon request. I would have gladly provided your family with the iron and ironing board if asked, as I did with the beach towels when you requested them. Our property was built in the 40's and 50's and we have been working hard to improve each room. Unfortunately, air conditioning is not feasible for us. I do make sure to let each guest know when reserving their room that we do not have air conditioning and that the rooms do have desk fans. Thank you again for the input and I hope your children enjoy their memories of our beautiful island.
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We just returned from a very nice weekend in Catalina. We stayed at the Catalina Lodge after checking out several tripadvisor reviews and we are glad we decided to stay here. Our room was small, but very clean and well equipped. We had a fridge, microwave, hair dryer, along with the normal soap, towels, etc. Roberta had beach towels for us to take on our snorkling trip and a wine opener (and glasses!) for the wine we purchased. She was also full of great advice and pointers - since it was our first time on the island. The only downside is that our room happen to be on a busy corner - and the golfcarts driving by made sleeping very difficult until it got later into the night when town slowed down. If we stay again (and I would definitely return to this lodge) we will request one of the 'inside' rooms to lessen the noise. Otherwise, a great, clean place with a kind, caring inn keeper!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank likes2bike
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for 2 to 3 years every 1st weekend in May when the Old Boy Rugby Festival is going on. The Catalina Lodge has easy access right to the main boardwalk, very friendly and helpful management/owners, and they have upgraded many things within the rooms. New beds, rooms generally have tv, mini fridge and microwave. Clean bathrooms with good hot water and water pressure. I always get the stumble room, aka # 6, for it is right behind the office and right next to the sidewalk. After a night a bar hopping with my fellow rugger teammates, this is an excellent choice versus climbing stairs or navigating through a hotel to get to your room. I know I'm probably forgetting other ammenities offered but the point is I REALLY like this place and will continue to stay at the Catalina Lodge for years to come.

Room Tip: See my review regarding the stumble room...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Tyler S
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

Clean and comfortable and in the middle of everything. Looks a bit like a motel but in a charming way. The owners are personable and helpful. It's a great choice for those who want to to stay on Catalina without paying silly prices for accommodation. I really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank gracehanmoreclarke
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I was recently on Catalina for the Jazztrax Festival and happened upon this lodge on TripAdvisor. The reviews are spot-on. This is a very clean, comfy basic mom-and-pop hotel with friendly owners who will go out of their way to serve. The rooms are small, but neat, with efficient use of the space and comfortable beds. Catalina is really a place to go to be outdoors, so I doubt you will spend much time in the room except showering and sleeping. The beds are mostly queens (I think they have a few doubles in the front, street-side rooms.) All rooms have a dorm-size refrigerator and a microwave and the grocery store is a block away so you can grab something for breakfast and lunch to save some money. The owners did point us to a few of their favorites and these had, by far, the best food we ate on the island. Be forewarned, this is not a gourmet dining destination, but the scenery makes up for that. :) The bathroom was very clean and bright, although counterspace to set anything down was lacking. I travel a lot in Europe so I am prepared with my hanging bathroom bag, but the hubby did state that he needed someplace to set the contact case in the AM. Since we paid 1/2 the price here of any other lodge price I was quoted in town, I didn't mind a little inconvenience. They furnish blow dryers, shampoo and soap. There is an iron and ironing board in the office that you can borrow if needed, as well as beach towels and beach chairs. The water pressure is great with plenty of hot water. The towels are nice and thick and smell freshly bleached (I'm a nurse, and this is important to me. :) Good, hot, strong coffee is served in the office every morning. The owners are very nice and a fount of information on things to do. There is no A/C here, but with the fan on and the window open, it was more than cool at night. They do have heat, if desired. The flat screen TV worked well for entertaining the hubby on the day that it rained (luckily a Sunday football day.) We had a queen room, but they do have a larger family room with a queen and 3 twins that she showed me. I know others have complained of noise, but I didn't experience this and the lodge was full. I had the fan on and I always take my "white noise" machine traveling and only once heard anything after turning the lights out to go to bed and that was because I went to bed early and didn't hit the afterparty, and I heard people coming in around midnight on Saturday. This really seemed to be a place that the older, quieter crowd and families tend to stay. So I recommend this place for a less expensive Catalina get-away. Like I said, clean, basic and very friendly people.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends