“Good Times In Avalon!”

Casa Mariquita Hotel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I booked a double queen room at Casa Mariquita for myself, hubby and 14 yr old son. The young man at the front desk was entirely accommodating; we were able to check in early which was great. Had we not been able to check into our room, they did have storage room for luggage so we wouldn't have to worry about it. The hotel is located just up the street from downtown, a very easy walk. In the evening, we asked for a couple extra bath towels, when they came to our room within 5 minutes they were warm! Not sure if that was simply good timing, but was nice. Room was small, but we weren't in it much. There was a small refrig, no microwave. Beds were not terribly comfortable, but fluffy pillows, and all towels smelled fresh. continental breakfast in the office was donuts, danish, bananas, boiled eggs, OJ milk, coffee, I think I saw instant oatmeal packets. The donuts were surprisingly yummy! they have nice trays you can take breakfast to back to your room. Check out was a breeze. All in all, I found myself saying over and over to the front desk how accommodating they are. I will definitely book them for my next stay in Avalon.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, we did have a couple sets of around 3-6 stairs to climb.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Rachel A

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Casa Mariquita

After reading all of the positive reviews here, I have to say that mine is far more mixed. There are many little things lacking that could turn a mediocre stay into a fine one.

1) The room. Though basic, the furniture and bedding were attractive and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The room was small (particularly the bathroom), and had just one window overlooking the passageway where people were constantly streaming.

2) The amenities. This is where small changes would make a huge difference. There was a bottle of conditioning shampoo given, where some body lotion is usually provided as well and would have been appreciated. The continental breakfast was a bit weird. They served very good coffee, some pastries, juice, and boiled eggs. They served instant oatmeal, but looked at me quizzically when I asked for milk and brown sugar. I ended up using white sugar and emptied some creamers into the cereal. You'd think that others may have also asked for milk, which leads me to the next problem...

3). Customer service. The front desk people didn't see to have many answers. We wanted a breakfast recommendation, but they didn't have a clue where to send us. We walked to a nearby hotel, where the front desk gave us an excellent recommendation. (Though she wasn't at the desk for most of our stay, Lauren was everything you'd want as a hotel receptionist. She was courteous, helpful and knowledgable).

One particular young woman had no social graces. She simply answered questions with yes or no answers. "Do you have milk for the cereal?" No, "Can you make a reservation for a Segway ride for me?" No, only for water or jeep tours. Which leads me to the next problem..

4) Phone and Internet service. No phone service is available from the room. Ignore the sign that says "dial 9 plus the number for outgoing calls." Won't happen. There is no Verizon reception in the rooms. Therefore we made a request to the front desk to ask about the non-forthcoming Segway reservations. My husband had to walk a couple of blocks to ask about a tour, because there was no way to call, and. The front desk clerk wouldn't help us. Free internet is provided, but the login disappears every time you leave your device offline. It was a hassle to put in userid and password all the time,but free internet is always useful.

5) Noise from other guests. Possibly true at every hotel. Saturday night and Sunday morning were considerably noisy, with guests coming in from partying and/or leaving the next day. One couple, who stayed a couple of doors away, screamed obscenities at each other in the middle of the night for a very long time. One locked the other out of the room, and door pounding ensued. I found out later that the young man was locked up in jail, because apparently he smashed the office door in in an attempt to get his key. Made for a wonderful evening--not. Sunday night was very quiet.

All in all, I would stay here only if I couldn't afford better. I learned to ask for the very friendly management if I ran into a problem. The place is well-kept and in a good location, and as I said earlier, a few changes could make a world of difference.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank jaelsne
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We booked & stayed here for our anniversary, we had private balcony rm, the hotel & room was nice & clean, continental brkfst... was good! It was a great 1st stay for us, CON: very noises on the main drag to town, & there was construction right next doors, whom worked thru the ngt, double shifts & our balcony faced the street, so we had all the traffic noise, & the hill to climb coming to hotel is a bit steep. One problem we did have was after the maid, would made up the rm, she would turn our a.c. unit off! & open up the drapes, when we we're there California & Catalina was having record breaking heat wave, so rm was hot when we returned!

Room Tip: No pool, no elevators, no safes
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Doris S
Reviewed 13 May 2014

we spent our spring break at Casa Mariquita hotel. it is right off the Island busiest street: walking distance to all the shops, the nearby beach, famous Island landmark etc..yet it is very quite. the hotel has it's unique design: it's zigzag stairs ( my 8 year old son had a blast just by walking through the 'maze' ), roof top terrace over looking the ocean makes you feel you were spending a vacation in Greece, rather on the island an hour away from California. the room furniture are antique looking, European style good quality ones. the staff there are super nice. the room is cozy and clean. the price is very reasonable compare to others. great value with
the accommodation. definitely will be back and stay there.

Room Tip: suite with the ocean view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dj z
Reviewed 13 May 2014

good sleep , nice bed. room was small , a little overpriced for the size. free wifi which is great. friendly staff,
strong shower, mini frig. charming décor, mostly Spanish style. walking distance to good food.
continental breakfast

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sbd0512
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Casa Mariquita is a recently renovated hotel within a short semi-uphill walk from Avalon beach. It's just 3 blocks from the Green Pier. While we were there, major construction was ongoing at the intersection of Metropole and Crescent, so we just walked on the other side of the street. The ground and steps throughout feature charming Spanish tile. The room with a king bed and air conditioning was a wonderful value for the island and convenient location! Although not very big, it had the essentials in the bathroom and bedroom. The toilet and shower are separated from the sink, a good design for concurrent use. The sink was a marvelous sparkly finish with a fountain flow from the faucet -- delightful. The tub features a non-skid floor and a newer, sturdy rubber shower curtain with a pretty outer curtain. The bedroom has a good flat TV with cable channels. The bed is comfy with real king size pillows. The continental breakfast has a danish assortment, croissants, coffee, orange juice, and hard boiled eggs. All the staff were friendly and responded well to special requests, like extra towels. We will return!

Room Tip: If stair climbing is difficult for you, ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank johnsbigb
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My fiance and I stayed here for a weekend. I had stayed here before with a couple girlfriends and remembered it being decent. The location is great, just a quick walk to the beachfront with all the shops. The room was very clean and the bed was nice and comfy. It was just very small. We had a queen bed that took up most of the room. The bathroom was also small so it was very hard to the 2 of us to move around the room. Also- we were on the 4th floor and there is no elevator so we had to lug our suitcases all the way up, although this may be the case with most hotels in Avalon.
Overall I think the Avalon hotels are overpriced for what you get. Not sure if I would stay here again but not sure if the nicer hotels that are much higher price would be any better.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple