“A lil slice of paradise”

Casa Mariquita Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
“A lil slice of paradise”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Went on vacation with my boyfriend to Catalina island. A place I've always wanted to go - it was wonderful. Stayed at the Casa Mariquita hotel, a quaint, beautiful property with tropical foliage and small but clean rooms. There's complimentary continental breakfast and luggage storage if you arrive early or want to hang out before you leave. There's no elevator but just a few stairs to the 2nd and 3rd floors with a terrace and views. The hotel staff was personable and very helpful. They even scheduled our ferry ride for us which was convenient. They're located right across the street from a motorized bicycle & golf cart rental shop (sorry forgot the name). Loved that bike too! Lol. Relaxing retreat! Will definitely go again sometime.

Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Carmlprncss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here for one night traveling with family. It's a cozy, little, Spanish style hotel with quiet enough location, we had one of the inner rooms and it was pleasant serving well for the purpose. Beds were comfortable and I liked for once not having filthy carpets in the hotel room. Decoration fabrics of the rooms are a bit outdated, but I loved the sink in the bathroom, very unique. Front desk staff was professional and pleasant.

Room Tip: I would stay clear of the first floor room facing the street.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JoSoCal
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My boyfriend and I decided after staying here that the hotel was average at best. The hotel was located up the hill on Metropole away from the busy main street so, while the walk up was fine for us, its location on a hill might need to be a consideration for some guests. Our room was clean, and although there was construction going on next door because they are building a new Catalina museum, we had a quiet king-sized bed guest room (room 7) with a window facing away from the direction of the construction....the end result being that our window faced the walkway that other guests walked past, meaning that we had to keep our shades closed. We woke up to a stuffy room, however, because we had to keep the air conditioning unit turned off because it was very loud. And while I was fine with the pillows, they were so uncomfortable for my boyfriend that he used an extra blanket in the closet as his pillow on the second night.

One suggestion for improvement would be directed to the staff at the front desk: We went up to the front desk twice so there were a total of four different employees. While none of them were rude, there wasn't a smile to be found from any of them upon greeting us. On the other hand, they were willing to accommodate us with holding our luggage after checkout if we had needed them to do so.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Sharon32655
Valley Center, California
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I booked a double queen room at Casa Mariquita for myself, hubby and 14 yr old son. The young man at the front desk was entirely accommodating; we were able to check in early which was great. Had we not been able to check into our room, they did have storage room for luggage so we wouldn't have to worry about it. The hotel is located just up the street from downtown, a very easy walk. In the evening, we asked for a couple extra bath towels, when they came to our room within 5 minutes they were warm! Not sure if that was simply good timing, but was nice. Room was small, but we weren't in it much. There was a small refrig, no microwave. Beds were not terribly comfortable, but fluffy pillows, and all towels smelled fresh. continental breakfast in the office was donuts, danish, bananas, boiled eggs, OJ milk, coffee, I think I saw instant oatmeal packets. The donuts were surprisingly yummy! they have nice trays you can take breakfast to back to your room. Check out was a breeze. All in all, I found myself saying over and over to the front desk how accommodating they are. I will definitely book them for my next stay in Avalon.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, we did have a couple sets of around 3-6 stairs to climb.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Rachel A
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Casa Mariquita

After reading all of the positive reviews here, I have to say that mine is far more mixed. There are many little things lacking that could turn a mediocre stay into a fine one.

1) The room. Though basic, the furniture and bedding were attractive and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The room was small (particularly the bathroom), and had just one window overlooking the passageway where people were constantly streaming.

2) The amenities. This is where small changes would make a huge difference. There was a bottle of conditioning shampoo given, where some body lotion is usually provided as well and would have been appreciated. The continental breakfast was a bit weird. They served very good coffee, some pastries, juice, and boiled eggs. They served instant oatmeal, but looked at me quizzically when I asked for milk and brown sugar. I ended up using white sugar and emptied some creamers into the cereal. You'd think that others may have also asked for milk, which leads me to the next problem...

3). Customer service. The front desk people didn't see to have many answers. We wanted a breakfast recommendation, but they didn't have a clue where to send us. We walked to a nearby hotel, where the front desk gave us an excellent recommendation. (Though she wasn't at the desk for most of our stay, Lauren was everything you'd want as a hotel receptionist. She was courteous, helpful and knowledgable).

One particular young woman had no social graces. She simply answered questions with yes or no answers. "Do you have milk for the cereal?" No, "Can you make a reservation for a Segway ride for me?" No, only for water or jeep tours. Which leads me to the next problem..

4) Phone and Internet service. No phone service is available from the room. Ignore the sign that says "dial 9 plus the number for outgoing calls." Won't happen. There is no Verizon reception in the rooms. Therefore we made a request to the front desk to ask about the non-forthcoming Segway reservations. My husband had to walk a couple of blocks to ask about a tour, because there was no way to call, and. The front desk clerk wouldn't help us. Free internet is provided, but the login disappears every time you leave your device offline. It was a hassle to put in userid and password all the time,but free internet is always useful.

5) Noise from other guests. Possibly true at every hotel. Saturday night and Sunday morning were considerably noisy, with guests coming in from partying and/or leaving the next day. One couple, who stayed a couple of doors away, screamed obscenities at each other in the middle of the night for a very long time. One locked the other out of the room, and door pounding ensued. I found out later that the young man was locked up in jail, because apparently he smashed the office door in in an attempt to get his key. Made for a wonderful evening--not. Sunday night was very quiet.

All in all, I would stay here only if I couldn't afford better. I learned to ask for the very friendly management if I ran into a problem. The place is well-kept and in a good location, and as I said earlier, a few changes could make a world of difference.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank jaelsne
Las Vegas
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We booked & stayed here for our anniversary, we had private balcony rm, the hotel & room was nice & clean, continental brkfst... was good! It was a great 1st stay for us, CON: very noises on the main drag to town, & there was construction right next doors, whom worked thru the ngt, double shifts & our balcony faced the street, so we had all the traffic noise, & the hill to climb coming to hotel is a bit steep. One problem we did have was after the maid, would made up the rm, she would turn our a.c. unit off! & open up the drapes, when we we're there California & Catalina was having record breaking heat wave, so rm was hot when we returned!

Room Tip: No pool, no elevators, no safes
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Doris S
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 May 2014

we spent our spring break at Casa Mariquita hotel. it is right off the Island busiest street: walking distance to all the shops, the nearby beach, famous Island landmark etc..yet it is very quite. the hotel has it's unique design: it's zigzag stairs ( my 8 year old son had a blast just by walking through the 'maze' ), roof top terrace over looking the ocean makes you feel you were spending a vacation in Greece, rather on the island an hour away from California. the room furniture are antique looking, European style good quality ones. the staff there are super nice. the room is cozy and clean. the price is very reasonable compare to others. great value with
the accommodation. definitely will be back and stay there.

Room Tip: suite with the ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family