“Many thanks to Manager Ivan - From R.N.”
Review of El Terado Terrace

El Terado Terrace
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This weekend I was upset because I ended up not being able to get to Catalina Island. This meant I had to cancel my entire trip to the island. Hotel, activities, spa, etc.

The 3rd party vendor that I used to book the hotel over the phone, did not disclose the room cancellation policy (which was 14 days in advance of check-in date) , so imagine how upset I was to hear this for the first time 24 hours in advance of my scheduled check-in date.

I called the hotel and spoke to Ivan, the hotel manager, for a while. He was sympathetic to the situation and said he would try to get my room sold/reserved by someone else. If someone else booked it, then I wouldn't have to pay.

They were unable to get it booked last minute, but when I called today, I was told that they would void my credit card charge for the full night which is approx $189. (I hope that will be taken care of soon!)

I know that he made an exception this time and I am very surprised and thankful for this. Customer service isn't always black and white, and it says a lot when they took their time to review my situation. (I travel a lot for work so I have a lot of insight on hospitality)

I will be going to Catalina Island in the next few months when I can book my travel and look forward to staying here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RN201406

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We received a bit of a frustrated receptionist our last day there & noticed it wasn't just with us it was with everyone. Got upset with us for asking where luggage claims/drop off was and rolled eyes etc. another thing we didn't really like was that you cannot do a late check out even if you're willing to pay for it weeks in advance. Thought that was very strange. The outside of the hotel is not as nice as they make it look on their website & there is no lobby. Was a little scared when I got there and thought the rooms were going to be bad but they are actually very cute, spacious and for the most part was clean. (I say for the most part because our bed frame had make up ???! Stains or something and it looked like they just hid it with pillows instead of scrubbing) it did smell good though and everything else in the room/kitchen/bathroom was very clean. When we go back we will not be returning to this hotel but it may work for others even though it didn't work for us.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank NikkiGillette
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This place was nice but could definitely use an upgrade. Everything was old and a bit run down. They have accomidations that could make the experience a must, if they just stepped it up a notch. Example, The kitchen was a great addition to our 3 day stay, but we were never given clean cups or utensils so we used the same ones for 3 days. This hotel is also halfway up a big hill which wasn't super bad but if you're not into doing a lot of uphill walking, this is not the place for you. Overall, I'd stay here again. The price was great and the people were very nice. It's just nothing extraordinary.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank jen_knee13
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed with my family at the El Terado Terrace April 6 to April 10. The hotel was very reasonably priced. They covered our taxi to and from the boat dock. It's super cool--when you walk up to the place it's like an old-school 2 story motel. There is a window where you check in and there is a phone on the wall to call in case someone is not in the office. The manager Ivan lives on site with his family and when you call on the phone, he magically shows up within 5 minutes. Talk about accommodating!!! These people are all about customer service. We got there about 9:30am--way before check-in. They kept our bags for us and we went to explore Avalon. It's about a 5-7 minute walk down a pretty steep hill to get into town. It's a beautiful view of the harbor as you're walking down and the mountains as your walking up. Ivan called us when our room was ready and put our bags in our room before we even got there. Our room was large, clean, quiet and very comfortable! The full kitchen had everything we needed (the one grocery store in town was just one street over when we got into town). The TV was nice and big with a DVD player (we brought over a few movies for our kids in the evenings). We had a view of the harbor from inside our room!! The kids loved laying on our ultra comfortable bed and watching the boats in the harbor--especially the cruise ships. We never used it but there is a grill available on the patio. The bathroom was updated and in good shape. Do not expect a high-end, posh hotel. But if you are like us--very active, in and out of the room all day, want to save some money on food, and need a comfy bed to sleep in at night--this is the place for you!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Amber B
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was so looking forward to my stay at El Terado Terrace. They came highly recommended. I had made reservations a month and a half earlier. Less that two weeks before our arrival date I got a call from Ivan. He said that he had to cancel our stay because we only booked for one night. WTH, why was the room even booked, then ? Ivan did offer to book a room at another place, but as not knowing anything about the other place I declined.. Ivan also offered to give us a room at 50 % off the next time we came to Avalon.. Ivan, there will not be a next time..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Hash B
elterado, General Manager at El Terado Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank You for your review!! First off, we do not cancel reservations if they are 1 night bookings. In fact, we are one if not the only Hotel in Avalon not to require a minimum stay, off-season. Over 50% of our reservations are one night bookings.
The reason I told you I wanted to relocate you was due to some hotel repairs that were going to be taking place during the time you would visit our hotel, you declined and you canceled the reservation. I also offered a 50% off your next visit to Avalon, and you also declined.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I booked an overnight stay at the El Terado Terrace over Valentine's weekend, the person I'm assuming is the manager was very pleasant to speak with over the phone and gave me a fantastic deal considering the time I booked it. When we arrived we realized the uphill walk to the hotel was a bit rough but not terrible, and still in close proximity to great spots on the beach. The townhouse we booked was definitely dated, but again, for the price we got a LOT of room! My only complaint is that the walls are kinda thin, and sharing a wall with the townhouse next door was sometimes not easy to tolerate due to our neighbors. If I want a great bargain for a stay on Catalina, I'll definitely be looking there again.

Room Tip: *hypothetically speaking* If you go to the balcony of the town home and climb onto the adjacent roof...