El Terado Terrace
Hotel Metropole(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$312
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
The Avalon Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$223
US$123
  • Breakfast included
Casa Mariquita Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$161
US$140
Hotwire.com
US$159
Hotel Mac Rae(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$145
Portofino Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$256
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsfull kitchennice kitchencatalina islandown mealssteep hillmini suitecomplimentary taxitaxi ridehome away from homethin wallsstarbucks coffeeocean viewa great place to staywill stay there againboat dockthe main streetivan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Wonderful place. Lovely, clean and airy room, even had an ocean view (although some less-than-scenic historic roofs do intrude on the view) and two beds for two traveling BFFs for less money than hotels with smaller rooms on a courtyard with only one bed and a promised cot. El Terado was Catalina-reasonable. No complaints at all. Other guests barbecued on the grill the hotel has available and ate out on the deck.

El Terado is up the hill, removed from the general hubbub of Crescent Avenue. This is great for quiet (it's located in a residential neighborhood) but tough on me. After some surgery, I have a hip that does nothing but hurt all the time. I had searched Avalon listings and it seemed that everyone had rooms on upper floors. I can walk up and down stairs but it requires a lot of energy. I didn't even think to ask El Terado when I reserved the room since most said, "All rooms on second and third floor, no elevators." To my surprise (and my hip's ultimate delight), I found there were only three small steps down from the street to El Terado's front deck. We just turned a corner on the ocean side to our room. No stairs encountered.

The room was a good size; it would be roomy enough for a wheelchair user but there are caveats so in disability ratings, I would only recommend the room for a person in a chair who can stand and take a few steps. The door to the bathroom is narrow and the shower is a step-in. No grab bars but (without a tape measure for me to say for sure) I think the bathroom would accommodate a chair so one could stand and turn to use the commode. Also, not using a chair myself, it's hard to tell if the walkway to the rooms is wide enough. It probably is but if you have a question about it, call El Terado and ask for Ivan..

Talk about terrific. We had asked how to get downtown and Ivan said everything was in walking distance... I told him he didn't know my hip. He told us to call him when we needed a lift. I didn't want to bother him, but when we needed a lift down the hill, he popped out and ran us down in his golf cart. It's sometimes embarrassing to have to ask for help for the small stuff but Ivan made it easy. He quickly brought in an iron and ironing board when it was requested. He had ideas about things to do and he was just a nice guy and a good conversationalist. We even saw him with his young family on the deck... just a nice, warm atmosphere at the hotel.

The place is fairly nondescript from the street. You might drive right by and be unimpressed. You might walk in as we did and be wowed.

Between the quiet, out-of-the-tourist-path locale, the sunny birdsong-filled mornings, a view of the bay (but those roofs DO spoil it somewhat), the clean and lovely room itself and THEN the warmth and help offered by Ivan made the place perfect. The next time I go to Catalina, I will not be searching for a place to stay. I already know where I'll unpack my suitcase-- at the El Terado.

• Stayed: July 2009
2  Thank peebyxerino
Reviewed 28 July 2009

First of all let me just say that the staff is OUTSTANDING! They are easy going, considerate and helpful. The owners have boundless energy and enthusiasm for making El Terado a family, vacationer and couples (wanting to get away) destination. There is a lot of privacy on the island view side, harbor views and quiet on the other side. El Terado is just a slight hill, walking distance from all the action of Avalon. I have 1 and 1/2 lungs, I was born with asthma and am overweight and the walk up the little hill was pretty invigorating, especially with the clean air and cool weather. We have been staying at the hotel for over a decade because of the kitchen and quiet, away from where crowds of Avalon abound. I felt safe there with my little seven year old who was a toddler when the new owners (related to the original owner) took over. The improvements in the rooms, staff and perks have made us life long El Terado vacationers. It’s like being in a private apartment where fun is endless. We go every chance we get. My daughter cried this July when we had to leave.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank irmarebecca
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We had a great stay at the El Terado Terrace this summer. We have been coming to this hotel for several years now. The newly renovated rooms are fantastic. The air conditioning was much needed and appreciated. We plan to stay there every summer, now that the rooms are so great. Ivan the manager is courteous, kind and helpful. His staff is efficient and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank californiagirlalways
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We wheeled our luggage a short walk from the boat up the hill because we wanted to enjoy walking along the waterfront even though the hotel would've paid for our taxi. Nice room with kitchen and air conditioning. Enjoyed eating our homecooked meals on the deck with a view of the harbor. Very quiet being a block away from the shops and restaurants. Missed not having a bathtub a little bit but all the other positives made for a very enjoyable visit. Very helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2009

From the time of reservation to check out the experience couldn't have been any better !!! Ivan treated us like royalty from taking our reservation days prior to checking us in. The room couldn't have had a better view. The cleanliness of the room could be held up to Ritz Carlton's standards. Finally the value for the room was exceptional!!! We have been to Catalina a few times before but Ivan and the El Terado Terrace made this the most memorable. We will be back!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple