“Service was slow, and a little confusing”

Descanso Beach Club Dining
Ranked #6 of 50 Restaurants in Avalon
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Surrounded by the rugged beauty of Descanso Canyon and the clear blue Pacific Ocean, Descanso Beach Club features Avalon's only beachside restaurant and bar, where you can enjoy appetizers, entrées and signature cocktails, like our famous Buffalo Milk. For the ultimate beach club experience, you can have your food and drinks delivered to your own private cabana or chaise lounge. Descanso Beach Club also serves as the Base Camp for the Zip Line Eco Tour, Catalina Falconry Experience, and a 32' Climbing Wall. Kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, and snorkeling are also available. Seasonally, Descanso Beach Club's party scene is well known among locals and visitors alike, DJ tunes and live music on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Waitress was confused and slow, took 25 minutes to get drinks.

Reviewed 18 August 2010

During our 5 day stay in Catalina we spent 4 of them lounging, kayaking, and swimming at Descanso Beach Club. Our family of 10 ( cousins, Grandparents, etc) loved the beach service and family friendly atmosphere. 4 of us were under the age of 6 and had a blast playing in the tidal pool area.

All the staff were polite despite that they were quite busy. I, twice, ordered the Ahi Tuna sandwich and loved how fresh the filet and Asian slaw was. It was just right for our crowd!

2  Thank 4Ridgely
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We had a late lunch at a tble after doing the zipline. Absolutgely the best atmosphere! Clean, colorful, and great service. Typical beach bar type food, but well done. Pricey, but no more so than the other touristy places ont he island. Our drinks were great and strong! I had the Descanso Destroyer, loved it, and came back the next day for another! There is no fee for most of the area, and there are nice, clean restrooms and changing areas for free.

1  Thank Michelle731
Reviewed 6 July 2010

When you're in Avalon, Descanso is a must see. It's a very short walk from downtown and offers casual seaside dining with tasty appetizers and great margueritas. The location is magnificant. Wait for a table...it's worth it! We only spent an hour or so there which was plenty but a fun experience nonetheless.

Reviewed 7 August 2009

We rented a kayak from the rental shack, and had a little time to wait before we were taking off, and ordered drinks from the bar. I was waiting a while, they were busy. An older couple came up and stood beside me, and right then the bartender came to our area and they got their order in first, which was kind of irritating since I knew she saw me standing there for a few minutes, but since they were older and maybe did not realize they "cut in line" I didn't say anything, but I must have made a face, because the bartender, long blond hair, snapped at me that I needed to "speak up". Whatever. The Island Tea I ordered was kind of gross, but at $9 I finished the entire thing.

We sat on the beach at Descanso, and did not pay a fee or anything like mentioned in other reviews. We've been before and never ran into a fee for the beach. We just walked right on to the beach with our drinks.

After kayaking we went back and sat at the tables adjacent to the bar, and the cocktail waitress was on top of things and very nice (if not for her, they'd have gotten 1 star for service. She was a 5, the bartender was a 1). We ordered the buffalo chicken tenders. Exactly what they sound like, but they do not have blue cheese, only ranch. Pretty much all they have is fried crap. Like most of the island. Drinks were good, a bit pricey, but that is the way it is everywhere.

Interesting side note, they do have those "plastic" utensils that are made from plant products and are completely biodegradable. So that was cool to know that they are one of the few places that will go that extra step towards being "green".

1  Thank Allens08