“Glenmore Plaza, the old gal better than she used to be” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glenmore Plaza Hotel

Glenmore Plaza Hotel
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Palm Springs, California
“Glenmore Plaza, the old gal better than she used to be”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

We first stayed here back in 1980 when the finish line for the Catalina Marathon was right in front of the hotel. The ladies gathered in our bay window room on the 2nd floor and cheered us on. Of course, they had a couple glasses of wine by then and we had just run 26 miles through the remote back country and mountains of Catalina Island through herds of buffalo and past wild pigs. Have stay couple of times since and always enjoyable. This trip was 3 days and 2 nights.

After we had checked out there was a 5-hour span (noon to 5pm) until we needed to get to the ferry boat landing. The staff stored our luggage and gave us two beach towels and told us of a small patch of grass right at end of beach, perfect for an afternoon nap. And it was too!!

Hotel situated half-block from the esplanade along the waterfront, the staff were just great and friendly and most helpful. No elevator so the schlep to the 3rd floor this time was an effort. Great king bed in nicely appointed but small room (#314) with artistic prints of the Catalina environment on walls. Nice 36" flat screen. Room 314 may be economical but noise from ice make down in alley below going on and off could be a bit annoying. No view but you are only a short 1/2 block to Avalon Bay.

Convenient to everything, a minimal continental breakfast served in lobby every morning. Overall a good stay.

Room Tip: Front rooms on 2nd and 3rd floors have bay windows providing views out to the harbor and along the s...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Phineasfogg25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Huntington Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I don't know where to begin here with my experience! This was a trip planned to celebrate and have a wonderful weekend away without any kids for my boyfriend and I. when we first got to the hotel we were told our room was not ready and could leave a phone number to call and check in once it was ready. Not a big deal, except when we continued to called and kept getting different answers on the avaiablility. finally once our room was ready we were in a hurry to change and get to an evening event we had purchased tickets for. We walk into the room and couldn't believe my eyes!!! Walls had marks and stains, bed type was not what we had booked (we booked a queen bed and got a room with two doubles), the bathroom was so gross the floor was stainded tile with chips and cracks, Towels look like they were just used and terribly worn, not to mention I go and look at the bed linen and there were stains on it! My BF tried to turn the tv on so we could quickly change and it didn't work. I immediatly looked at my BF and said I will not sleep here.

I go down stairs to speak with the front desk and express my concern with a number of the issues in the room and the one that got me in response was, "well we can upgrade you to a suite", I say ok great what are the amenities offered in the suite from the room we are just in. The gal at the front desk serious said nothing other than it has been upgraded!!! Are you kidding me, I was not going to pay an extra $229 over the already over priced $200 a night i just paid for just a cleaner room...so rediculous! I asked why the linen and towles were all stained and was so gross. The response I got was sorry we are trying to get new ones they are clean though just old and couldn't get the stains out.

I asked if there was another option as the Island was sold out and we couldn't get a room else where. We were told another room was being cleaned and we could change in the room we were just in and move to the other room and leave our bags while it was cleaned. So we did just that. We went and enjoyed our evening came back to the hotel around 8pm as I was not feeling well and ordered a pizza and stayed in. I was so grossed out once we got back. The floor had stuff on it, the sheets on one bed had stains (we didn't touch that one), the bathroom had a stained shower curtain, walls in shower were craked and grout was gross, the toilet didn't flush well (there was a plunger next to the toilet so I imagine this was typical for this room), the towels again were stained except one, there was missing a towel rod and a whole in the wall behind the bathroom door! As I type this I am still in such disbeleaf of this condition of the hotel. We paid good money for what should have been expected of a public restroom! I would advise if there are no rooms left on the Island when you travel here to pick another date please don't stay here shuch a waste of money and discusting experience!!!

There was a reason they were the only hotel that had rooms avaiable when we booked! I took a shower the minute I got home and still feel grossed out by the filth that we stayed in.

Room Tip: no tip other than don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Tedmonds81

Travellers are raving about these Avalon hotels

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

This review is a little overdue but better late than never. My boyfriend and I are from Chicago and traveled to CA in Feb 2012. We decided to take a trip out to Catalina Island for my birthday. From the moment we got off the boat, we were blown away by the service at the Glenmore. Although the hotel is only a few blocks from the port, we were picked up by a free shuttle. The van may have seen better days, but there is a 10+ year waiting list to get a full size car on the island, so can you blame them? The owner, himself, picked us up and gave us a tour of the charming town of Avalon. Upon arriving at the hotel, we began to chat about Chicago since he is from there and Catalina has such a huge Chicago influence (Wrigley's). He recommended many places to go, see and eat within Avalon and beyond. He also upgraded our room to a suite that looked out over the street in front! The room had a whirlpool tub and a wicker sitting area near the front window. The room was very clean & had charm. The rooms/hotel is not new, so do not go in there thinking that it is going to be modern. What can you expect from the oldest hotel on Catalina? Such nice people there. The staff couldn't be better! If you want to be taken care of, from the shuttle to the breakfast, stay at this charming old hotel and really experience Catalina the way it was originally intended.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Brittany B
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

From the pick up at the boat to checking out, we had the best service! Quite hotel and comfy beds. Clean, but not new. The staff was fantastic! Made us feel very at home. Overall experience was great and I would stay again and recommend this to anyone looking for a perfect location in Avalon.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank recsav
Newport Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Great Stay. The Glenmore Plaza Hotel location was great, they are right in the middle of town, so most of the tours,shops and restaurants were all very close. The room was clean,quiet and very comfortable. The staff was so personal and friendley, it was refreshing. The free shuttle service and breakfast in the morning was nice. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jason f
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stayed in this hotel, the second oldest operating hotel in California since 1891. Our Room is clean and neat, good for the válue I paid for. The FREE continental breakfast is excellent, staff aré very nice especially Dianne. The only problem is the hassle on their construction of the 3rd and 4th floor. I will recommend this hotel for the excellent service I got.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Renato L
huntington beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Disappointed. Paid good amt...$159.00 per night, and was not pleased with what we got. Hotel is being renevated so lots of hammering. Rooms are OLD and hard to get clean. VERY small and VERY plain. No pics old carpets, screens falling off, doors won't lock or shut well.Would rather pay and stay where I am comfortable.

Room Tip: pick Portofino or St. Lauren Hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends