“Wedding Bliss”

Glenmore Plaza Hotel
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
“Wedding Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

We got married on the Island back in July. Our wedding party stayed at the Gilmore. Accross the board we were all very satisfied. When we arrived the owner Jim was there to greet us along with the bellboy to help with all of our luggage.y wife and I stayed in the Amilia Airhart room. What a great room WOW. It was very clean and as for the wet room shower and jacoozy tub supper nice. The view of Avalon bay was great as well. We look forward to spending our anniversaries in the coming years at the Gilmore Plaza. Thank you to the staff and Owners for a great stay.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

The owner climbed the ladder to my roof top room (the Clark gable) $800 room and invaded my privacy instead of calling the room with a heads your knocking on the door and proceeded to to cuss at me for being on the roof (which had an unlocked gate leading up there indicating that it was an added feature as a sun roof ) and then proceeded to call the cops on me for being on the roof.there is no sign posted to not do that and the gate is there and unlocked i was pleased when I got there thinking it was such a awesome feature that they also gave you a sun deck with an added view.NOT THE CASE! They instead invaded my privacy , publically humiliated me and called the cops on me! Keep in mind this was an $800 room.in addition my room was not ready on time ,not clean and the wiring on the hot tub was messed up and it did not work and the nozzle for it was not connected so when I turned the water on it shot off.i am leaving in tears planning to take legal action.

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank LudaMala
James A, Manager at Glenmore Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Guest

We offer our apologies for your dissatisfaction as a result of your stay at the Glenmore Plaza. We aim to provide our guests with the finest service, and your feedback is greatly appreciated as we continue to work towards improving all aspects of our establishment.

The safety of our guests is of the utmost importance to all of us here at the Glenmore Plaza Hotel and unfortunately, rooftop access is limited to authorized persons only.

Thank you for your review! Hopefully we can improve your experience the next time you visit Catalina Island.

Management, Glenmore Plaza Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Avalon hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

Newly remodeled with keeping the historic features. Balcony with new easy sliding screen door. Refrigerator, microwave and table. We had a room with 2 queen beds. Some rooms are much smaller.I would stay there again. Shopping and tour meeting place is right out the door. Staff was nice and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Z00lady
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Catalina.

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and we are delighted your visit was enjoyable.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the island.

Thank you again for your review, we appreciate your feedback!

Management, Glenmore Plaza Hotel
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

By the time we booked our rooms, this was about the only hotel that was available. I had checked the reviews and read that there might be some problems but I was pleasantly surprised. Our room had been renovated and I really liked the clean looks of it. The staff was very friendly. One of the things that was especially helpful was that they allowed us leave our luggage with them before check-in and after check-out the next day so we could continue to enjoy the island before the boat came in. The hotel also shuttles its guests to the boat no charge. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank starbucks23
Avalon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I rated to stay at this hotel was terrible due to loud noise coming from the fan at laundry room downstairs. The fan was going all day and all night long and the front desk says it has to be on all the time. They said the reason I was assigned to this room was due to last minute booking. I do not want to go back and I want to get a money back if I am entitled to.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Chula Vista
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Please do not stay at Glenmore; I inquired about staying there and was told there was a $25 cancellation fee. So I booked two rooms. I later had to cancel and was charged 10% of the entire 3 day room charge for EACH room. When I explained I was quoted $25, they said what are you going to do, you can't do anything and we can charge your card whether you like it or not. I will never stay there, I would encourage anyone staying there to take pictures of your rooms so you don't get charged for something that 1) isn't there or two already broken, once management lies, they always lie.

Room Tip: Stay at the Atwater, that's better!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Donna B
Lake Forest, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

The front desk staff was wonderful. The maid service wasn't that great. The tub wasn't clean when we arrived & no toilet paper what so ever. A section of the hotel is going thru repairs which I'm hoping we stayed in a room that will be remodeled eventually since you could tell on the areas that had been patched up yet needs more love put in to painting etc. The clock was unplugged because there wasn't an outlet to plug it in. No phone in our room what so ever or a bathroom counter. Bathroom mirror is a medicine cabinet without shelves. The window is single paned so it gets cold at night & you can hear everything going on outside. The beds were very comfortable which was helpful for my back. It doesn't take long to walk anywhere & had fun learning some facts on the Ghost Tour about this hotel. The staff allowed us to stow our luggage hours before we could check in & keep it there hours after we checked out so we could go have fun before we had to leave the harbor. Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed May 2013