“Newly Renovated is a stretch”

Glenmore Plaza Hotel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 16 July 2008

We went to Avalon to celebrate our 10th anniversary so I wanted everything to be perfect. We arrived on the island at 10 AM and transportation supplied by the hotel arrived within a few minutes. I thought this was a very nice service for them to offer. Just note, they are *not the only hotel on the island to offer this service as someone else stated. The Avalon Hotel has an arrangement with the taxi service on the island and they call and pay for transportation to and from the ferry landing. But I digress...

The van dropped us off in front of the hotel and that it was it. There was no assistance with luggage handling whatsoever. I'd requested early check-in, but our room was not yet ready. They took my cell # and we were told that they would call us as soon as the room was ready. We were told to store our luggage in the back room just beyond the front desk. Again, no assistance was offered or provided. I'm currently dealing with a knee injury so this would have been appreciated.

We took off to get something to eat and explore the area. After a couple of hours I called the hotel and was told that our room was ready. It would have been nice if they'd called like they said they would. We made our way back to the hotel and checked in. I'd requested an Ocean View room. I'd passed on the over-priced two-story tower room, but was very clear about wanting an one of the ocean view rooms they advertise on their web site. We were given room 315.

Again, no one offered to help us with our luggage and there is no elevator available. It was literally a hike to the room. Up a few stairs and then more stairs, through a door that you had to pull open while attempting to hold onto all your luggage and bags, down a narrow, crooked hallway and up more uneven stairs, through another door you had to pull open and then down another long hallway. For cryin' out loud! Our room was in a totally different building from where the front desk is, but it's all connected by the maze of hallways and stairs.

Our room was bright and colorful. An employee was in the room when we arrived. She was mending the bedspread, which I found interesting. There were several windows which offered nice light, but they were old aluminum windows that were difficult to open. (Shouldn't new windows have been part of their renovations??) The patio slider led out to the wooden deck. There was a table and 4 chairs. One chair rocked and reclined... but only one. Why not at least 2 motion chairs so one person wouldn't feel jyped? The screen door was off the track and hanging by a thread. Our "ocean view" was barely that. If we were sitting it was blocked by the overly high balcony railing. It was as though an extra "layer" had been added for safety reasons, but all it ended up doing was blocking the view. Then there was the restaurant roof and its very noisy fans that ran constantly directly in front of us. To the right were High Voltage power lines and poles and to the left was the other building of the hotel. All around were wires, lines and endless fans running. Oh, and the alleyway. Sure enough the next morning was garbage day and we were awakend by the lovely sound of garbage trucks stopping, starting and beeping. Awful!

The bathroom was awful. The woodwork was old and worn and I wouldn't advise turning on the jucuzzi jets. The tub looked to be 30 years old and I was truly afraid of getting electricuted!

I wish the staff at the Glenmore had mentioned that there was no elevator available to their "ocean view" room, or that it was actually a *partial ocean view. Although the room directly faced the ocean I would hardly call what they offer an unobstructed view given all the obsticles in the way! They also should at least offer to deliver your luggage to your room given the distance from the lobby to the rooms. Futher, what they offer for breakfast is a joke. Donuts, coffee and juice are not a "Continental Breakfast". Offering a variety of pastries - instead of dry donuts - and adding some fruit and yogurt would make all the difference. I had part of one donut and then we went out in search of food that we shouldn't have had to do.

The Glenmore's website states that the hotel is Newly Renovated. If they call painting the rooms renovating, then I guess that's true. They have a whole lot more to do to make this hotel the wonderful place they seem to think it is. I've always used caution when a hotel's web site does not have pictures of every room on the site. I called the hotel directly and they assured me they were one of the nicest hotel's on the island. Wrong! The Glenmore is old and in need of serious structural and cosmetic work. Their staff needs to step up and provide basic services like luggage handling and providing a decent breakfast, if that's what they're going to offer/advertise.

We'd planned to spend our last night on the island at another hotel. (Avalon) What a world of difference. We were still on the 3rd floor, but our luggage was taken to our room and all our needs were met. Our room was definitely smaller, but so much nicer and the panoramic view was to die for!

Use caution when booking a room at the Glenmore and don't believe everything you're told by the staff.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NoCaTraveler

Reviewed 22 June 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Glenmore as a last resort due to our first few choices being sold out. After the first few minutes at the hotel, it was apparent why their were vacant rooms at this establishment! I was hard pressed to find a level floor in the entire building, found that our telephone, sink and jacuzzi (we booked the "jacuzzi suite") where all non-operational, the dresser was missing a couple knobs, the ceiling drooped down, and our view was of a dirty alley. Additionally, their "continental breakfast" consisted of coffee and donuts. NOT recommended!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank taxguy007
Reviewed 18 June 2008

Catalina Island is a special place.

We stayed mid-week. Over the phone, The Hotel Glenmore offered to package the ferry and the room together, so that when we arrived at the ferry terminal at Long Beach, the reservation had already been called in.
The weather was perfect; the Catalina Express ferry was comfortable; the ride was smooth, and took about 1 hour to get to Avalon. The approach to Avalon is so picturesque.
Bonus: Transportation to and from the ferry was provided by the Hotel Glenmore.

I have a hip problem so I was glad to see the hotel lobby on the ground level. There were only a few steps up to our room. If you check out the other hotels in the area, you will notice that you have to walk up long staircases, sometimes to the 3rd floor to check-in.

The room was neat. The beds were comfortable (pillowtop).

Convenient location: The hotel is located on Sumner Street a few steps from where you can buy tour tickets and board the tour buses. And also, it is a several steps to the beach area.

The staff was helpful and friendly.
And, The Hotel Glenmore allowed us to leave our bags while we took a tour on our last morning.

I hope to return some day.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2008

Nice and quaint place to stay. When I made the reservations over the phone, they were quite helpful in telling me the things to do and see. They actually remembered my name and reservations that I made-how many hotels can do that! Once we landed they sent a shuttle to pick us up. This may not a big deal, but on the Island it is. I believe they are the only ones that have this service. The driver gave us recommendations on places to eat and visit and was very friendly and personable as he gave us a cute little joke.

The rooms are decorated to resemble the island feel and the manager gave us 2 set of keys to choice which room we wanted. Yes the rooms for less may not have a beach view, but we werent there to sit around in the room, we were there for the beach and other adventures.

The service was excellent, the staff was friendly and is officially on my short list of quality places to stay. If you're looking for glitz and glamour, then this isnt the place for you. But if you're into quality service and comfort, then check this place out.

Its about 100 feet from the Ocean and centrally located.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank bepell
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We went to Catalina for an anniversary trip and found a GREAT place to stay. We went on the trip just before the peak season started. The price was very good, the service was oustanding, the folks at the front desk were very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. They gave us a free upgrade to a king sized bed room on the third floor. There is no elevator but they cheerfully helped us up with our luggage. I never saw any pictures or description of the bathroom on their web site so I was very pleasantly surprised to find a jaccuzzi in our room. This is the oldest remaining hotel on the island. It's fun, funky (deep lavender walls, striped roman shade, etc), and comfortable. Besides the tub they had flat screen TVs in the rooms. They brought up a mini-fridge on request. And the location is superb! One block off the beach, one block from the best 18-hole miniature golf course I've ever seen, one block from Lappert's ice cream (yes, the same ice cream I get when I go to Kauai), across the street from an excellent Chinese restaurant, has a very nice art gallery on premises (but perhaps not associated with the hotel), and, well, just close to everything! Didn't see any air conditioners but the overhead fan was perfect for the time of year we went. Would stay there again in a heart-beat and recommend it to anyone! Sorry we didn't take any pix to show you. Gay friendly. Family friendly. Friendly staff, friendly guests.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 17 April 2008

We were visiting Catalina Island with friends who had booked us all into the Glenmore Plaza.

Our room (206) appeared to have been decorated recently but looked very shabby and tired. The view from the small window was onto the so called Courtyard. The wardrobe, a split cupboard with drawers underneath was not even big enough to hang a jacket. The very small bathroom looked as if it had not been cleaned properly. The towels provided looked grey and the bath mat did not look as if it had been washed. The bathroom had a mirror cupboard which was grubby inside and very little room for toiletries. The toilet would not stop flushing.
We did not complain about the room as our friends had booked it but if we had been on our own we would have walked straight out.

When we went to bed the sheets looked grey and unironed and the three pillows provided should have been thrown out along time ago.

We could not open the bedroom window at night as the noise of the air-con. units imediately below kept us awake. During the day time we also had to keep them closed due to the smell of ish drifiting from a restaurant.

We were out from 9am the following day and returned at 3.30pm to find the room had still not been serviced.

The so called courtyard was a small alley between the buildings where smokers congregated.

The reception staff did their best but fighting a loosing battle. As we waited for our friends before checking out, nearly everyone was complaining.

This was not shabby chic but just plain shabby and grubby. Even the furniture in the reception area felt sticky.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Silbury
Reviewed 17 April 2008

My family wanted to go to the island for a day or two. I liked the way the Glenmore plaza looked like a victorian hotel. We showed up bit early, and our room wasn't available yet...due to the 11:00am check out, but a nice young lady upgraded us so we could get a room right away with no extra charge. The room was very spacious, clean, and quiet. In our upgraded room we had a view of the mountians. We really enjoyed our stay and we will be staying at the Glenmore again IT WAS WONDERFUL!!!.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family