“Dirty”

Avila Hot Springs Resort
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Why waste so much potential? If cleaned up, maintained to a basic standard, this place would be totally nice. But it's seriously gross - water clouded, debris everywhere, changing rooms need a bleaching. NOT a fan.

1  Thank voxboston

Reviewed 4 July 2012

My family is a "water family." We love everything water: the beach, pools, rivers, you name it. I brought my two kids here when they were little quite a lot, since I lived in San Luis Obispo when they were young. Now it's time for my kids to bring their kids. On our recent visit to Avila Hot Springs I was very concerned that the three lifeguards sitting together at one edge of the pool were not paying attention to the three dozen kids in the pool. They seemed more interested in talking among themselves and looking cool than they were about the safety of the swimmers. I believe lifeguards should be walking up and down poolside, each in their own area of responsibility, never taking their eyes off the swimmers. I was afraid to take my eyes off my grandson during our entire visit. Only one lifeguard seemed to be responsible, and that was the young woman working the water slide.
I agree with other reviewers who were not impressed overall with this attraction. However, the water is warm, the pool area is nice, and, on a sunny day, it's a good alternative to the beach - for kids.

2  Thank Franki44_11
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Very commercialized hot springs... More like swimming in a heated pool. Definitely did not get the "hot springs experience" that I have gotten at other hot springs.

1  Thank Korina W
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We arrived on Thursday before Memorial Day weekend, for our first time being at this place. It was almost impossible to back into out spot. ( Space I) The spot is very small and to very close to the neighbors. After extending our camper's awning it almost touched the trailer parked in the space next to us.

On Friday, when the other neighbors arrived 12 people poured out of 2 vehicles with their music blaring and started a very intense argument with management about the size of their trailer and why I wouldn't fit in the super small space.
While helping the neighbors back into the space and fighting, the manager helped himself to toys at our campsite and threw them into the trash. My son was devastated!!!!!
I tried to confront the manager regarding the toys and his explanation was that he thought the toys belonged to someone else. SO WHAT!! What a bully!!!

This place is old and in disrepair.
While showering, after swimming, a shower head popped off and hit my daughter in the face. The showers reeked of urine. We also used the laundry facility. When the washer discharges the water to change cycles the dirty used water is expelled onto the floor.

If you are looking for something nice look somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank casualcamper2012
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We paid their crazy rates to be rudely treated by patronizing lifeguards. There is no tot area at all so we tried swimming in the large pool but it was freezing. My kids were turning purple and shivering. When we tried to put our feet in the warm pool area we were rudely ordered out. The little blond boy lifeguard was very snoty. At least the other girl lifeguard tried being kind when she claimed, "It's dangerous for the kids." Well so is hypothermia. I've been a mom for a long time. I know if they simply put their feet in hot water a couple minutes to warm up their body core it's not going to overheat them. I was also a lifeguard and swimming instructor for many years and I know that the kind of attitude adopted at this facility towards its patrons is shameful. (And on Mother's Day!) We are local and I had hoped to add Avila Hot Springs to our list of activities. But we have visited other pools in the area that charge 1/8 of the price for much better, well-appointed facilities that are courteously run. There is nothing for the young child. You can't tell me with the prices they charge here that they don't have the funds to put into a warm tot pool. You can do better all the way around Avila Hot Springs.

3  Thank Robin F
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The place is stinky, which I expected, but you may not, so be forewarned. The food is okay but not great (especially for the price). The people who work there seem to be more focused on how cool they are than on actual service. This attitude usually comes from the top down and having met the food service manager a few years ago I wasn't surprised. Don't know if she is still there as we have not been back except to use 2 gift certificates we were given as gifts for the little shop there. It was hard to find anything we wanted but we knew we didn't want to come back so we settled for a robe that was made out of lovely material but only came in size huge. The exception to all our negative comments is a massage I had there once years ago. It was amazing and came with a free hot tub. I was a little unsure about the sanitation because it looked (and smelled) pretty funky but I never caught anything gross and the massage was great. I have friends who love it there but for me....not so much.

1  Thank Sheree B
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This pool is always heated and the spring pours piping hot water into the small soaking pool, both are outside in the fresh air, with trees everywhere, and little cabins to be rented for vacationers. It's a 5 minute drive to the sunbathing beach of Avila Beach, and the Avila Beach golf course.

1  Thank 4tomorrow
#7 of 29 in Pismo Beach
Avila La Fonda Hotel
Avila La Fonda Hotel
#1 of 5 in Avila Beach

Been to Avila Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!