“Overall A Very Nice Stay”
Review of San Luis Bay Inn

San Luis Bay Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Although at the time of this review the San Luis Bay Inn was rated on TripAdvisor as number 5 of 5, I feel it would be a more accurate reflection of a property's placement if the ratings were combined for all properties in the entire area...Pismo Beach, Arroyo Grande, Grover Beach, Shell Beach and Avila Beach. I really expected a room of better quality for the area and its reputation.. The room is due for remodeling in January, but that is a long time off for the repairs which should be done much sooner. Several things, though, shouldn’t be this way in the first place. The grout around the tub is dirty or discolored near the tub while being pristine white at the top; a matter for housekeeping. The kitchen faucet was loose from the sink. Tiles on the floor, kitchen countertop and in the bathroom were cracked and two edge tiles on the kitchen countertop had been replaced with tiles of a different color. Toe kicks under the cabinet was merely pieces of wood with no attempt to match the cabinets or even seal the wood. One of the lights in the vanity was burned out while two others were of a different color temperature than the other three. Draperies in the bedroom were misfitted to the point that we were awakened early by the morning sun beaming into our eyes.
This being said, our room had both a partial ocean view and a partial hillside view and the resort itself is quite beautiful with well maintained pools, landscaping, common areas and even the parking lots.

Room Tip: For the busy summer season, you may have to book a year or more in advance. Be sure to ask for an o...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ron P
Ben B, General Manager at San Luis Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Hi Ron,
Thank you for your response. I'm sorry that we did not fix all of your needs in the room while you were here. Please except this Apology for all the problems you had in your unit.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is not a hotel, but a time share and they treat you like the unwanted in laws. No clean towels or sheets allowed for non owners, as they informed us . Expedia was even apologetic as they were fully aware of this but chose not to disclose it us. There are other hotels in the area that can provide normal hotel amenities and you don't have to be hassled about buying their time share!!! So my advice is dont do it!!! Don't make a reservation here or even consider buying a timeshare for a place with such poor customer service

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Debbie T

First off, I want to apologize for the poor servce that you recieved from my staff. All guest should be treated with respect. I will be using this as a tool for training with my staff.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We've stayed here several times. It's actually a timeshare property but available to public as well. They are just across the street and down the road from the Avila Pier to the south, fishing markets to the right. Free parking, and good customer service. Very accommodating. All suites so stock up with whatever you will need. Even the smaller studios have full kitchen, and can sleep four. They have very clean BBQs around the property, movies for rent, fitness room, and a nice pool. Teh grounds are really lovely and they have lots of benches and grassy areas to just relax overlooking the ocean. It's so nice to have a full kitchen when traveling with kids!

Room Tip: They have a very detailed map so you can really just have them guide you through what is available...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank nhfn

I wanted to Thank you for all of the nice comments you gave our resort.
take care and hope you stay with us again.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the San Luis Bay Inn on 6/7/14. After getting home, I realized I had two shirts missing. After searching everywhere, I call the Inn and explained my situation. The lady I talked to was very pleasant and wanted to help me. She said she would check the lost and found, to which I replied, I can't imagine they would be in lost and found as I thoroughly checked my room three times before leaving and there was absolutely nothing left behind. She put me on hold for a minute, came back and asked me to describe the shirts, to which I did. She then said, "yes...yes, I have them and they were found by the pool. Now comes the interesting part... I was never at the "pool"...never walked by the pool, never sat by the pool and in fact, didn't even know where the pool was on the property! In addition, for the 3 days we were there, we had NO housekeeping at all...which is another issue! These shirts couldn't have fallen out of my bag, as my luggage was zipped while coming to and leaving the Inn. As I had suspected, someone entered my room, went through my things and took the two shirts! (I believe it happened while it was known that we were in an updating session for our timeshare) This is such a violation! I explained these things to the lady I was speaking to and that they have a serious problem on their hands! My shirts are being returned...but I will not be returning to this Inn!

Room Tip: If you can get a room on the 5th floor, you will have a nice view... But whatever you do...Check you...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kathy L
Ben B, General Manager at San Luis Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,
First off, I want to apologize for what happen here at the resort. We will be doing an investigation on your missing shirts. We are having a hard time understanding how your shirts ended up by the pool, but I wanted to Thank you on bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

First off let me say that we are Diamond Resort owners, we have stayed at Kaanapali Beach Club, Point at Poipu and Cabo Azul. San Luis Bay Inn did not compare to those in many ways. This is the equivalent of a beach condo. The pool was ok, not what I would consider a resort style pool. The building and rooms could definitely stand some updating as well. We are also use to an abundance of activities going on when staying at timeshares, this resort also seemed to be lacking in that category.

It's my understanding that this is one of the most requested resorts in the Diamond family, this absolutely has to be a result of the location, which zero complaints there! And as timeshares go there really aren't any options on the central coast, so for that reason we will probably vacation here again. I really hope that Diamond considers updating this property in the near future.

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Sabrina J
Ben B, General Manager at San Luis Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Good morning,
First off, I wanted to thank you for all of your comments that you had on the resort. Board of directors have plans to finish remodeling the rest of the rooms. We are a older resort, which start out as a hotel back in 1968, so we do have some restrictions, but over all you are right. It is the location that keeps people coming back, so we look forward to your next visit.
take care
Resort Manager

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I spent a week of traded timeshare at the resort. We were so lucky to get an ocean facing unit and the view is spectacular, the unit was comfortable and clean amd we had a really pleasant stay. Grounds are immaculate and pool and hot tub were warm and welcoming,
We enjoy eating in and there are excellent supermarkets a relatively short drive away. Front desk and concierge staff were friendly and helpful. The one time that we needed a maintenance person was to help us figure out the ceiling fan and it was late in the evening, we received very prompt and courteous response to our difficulty. Overall a really wonderful vacation.
Only negative is the very slow internet which we know is being addressd as well as the one elevator which was not working and which was also being attended to.

clean

Room Tip: Call ahead to request ocean facing unit
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ben B, General Manager at San Luis Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

I wanted to Thank you for all of your kind words. Sorry, about the one elevator and the slow wifi.
take care and have a great summer.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had a studio room for two nights. Room was very comfortable and clean. Patio small and disappointing. Great space with dining table, fully stocked kitchen, spacious bathroom. Shower head was a bit too powerful and rather loud, the husband compared it to a rocket engine, however I'd rather have it that way than poor pressure. Front desk staff had difficulty finding the reservation and they were not pleasant about it, especially when it was their computer error. They cater to their timeshare clientele so they get priority and it also limits them from offering an early check-in (or so they said). The concierge was very friendly and super helpful, had great advice on the area and pamphlets and coupons for things to do. Beautiful ocean view from areas in the hotel. Pool and hot tub, also arcade the little ones enjoyed. One of the two elevators was also broken during the entire holiday weekend which was rather inconvenient.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth it, otherwise you might just be staring into other people's patios.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SFCrabette
Ben B, General Manager at San Luis Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

I wanted to Thank you for the very nice comments that you gave the resort.
Sincerely yours

#10 of 29 in Pismo Beach
The Inn at the Cove
The Inn at the Cove
#1 of 29 in Pismo Beach

Been to San Luis Bay Inn? Share your experiences!