“Fantastic stay at a home from home”
Review of Inn at Avila Beach

Inn at Avila Beach
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
Cardiff
“Fantastic stay at a home from home”
Reviewed 14 February 2008

We stayed here as part of a roadtrip. We hadn't booked in advance but managed to get a discounted rate as they were quiet. The owner is unbelievably friendly and accomodating and makes you feel as though you are staying with a friend. The suite was gorgeous with glass doors looking directly onto the beach. After a long day's drive we opted to stay in rather than go out and settled for a night in front of the TV with a bottle of wine and a video from the owner's personal collection. Pity it wasn't nice weather as we would have loved to have cooked off the BBQs on the roof and slept in one of the hammocks!

• Liked — Hospitality, location
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank trickynic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
california
Reviewed 16 January 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Inn for a week, to get away from life pressures. We enjoyed our beach front room, and listening to the waves crash at night was romantic and exciting. The room was in need of a little TLC but I loved that it felt lived in and if I spilled my wine, it wasn't going to be a huge ordeal. I was thrilled to not be at the Hilton, or similar.

Edward made me feel welcome and he was like a best friend, offering a bottle of wine and an open ear and a comforting smile. My boyfriend and I loved the ability to grab our hot chocolate, a game of clue, and whatever dishes we needed for our in room, picnic meals. I grew up in SLO area and it was wonderful to come home and spend time in a place I had only dreamed of being. Love the remodeled med. style dining room.

I hope to come back some day and relive the incredible memories made here.
ellie

• Liked — privacy
  • Disliked — room needs updated amenities
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mikkisgirlie
Ventura, CA
Reviewed 1 January 2008

We stay at the Inn a few times a year. Edward who runs the plce for the owner Michael is like an old friend every time we go back. This is a funky hotel with ocean front "suites" taht just scream relax and enjoy. The rooms ar all comfy but we like the ocean front. The last few stays have been in the Owners Suite with a fire place and jacuzzi tub. Free water, free popcorn, frig, microwave, VHS player in the room, tape and book library, all free. But it is how they treat you that is special. Like family. This is not a cookie cutter Hilton or Marriott. It has some age and a few worn corners. You will never notice as the waves lull to to sleep and you make new friends. Make your reservations diectly and ask for Edward. He will take care of you. There is a great deck with hammocks and TV's to while away the hours. You can grill a steak, borrow a blender and make margaritas or just sit back and snooze.

• Liked — The room and view
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CWS55
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 December 2007

My wife and I booked a room here as a waypoint to our final, more distant driving destination for the Thanksgiving weekend. We knew nothing about the town except its geographic convenience, and the great rate we got from Hotels.com.

We arrived after 9:00 PM and expected a cursory greeting from tired graveyard staff. Instead, we got a warm welcome and a personal tour of the common area, where we could read from their library, play one of their many board games, drink tea, coffee, or hot chocolate, or even just lounge comfortably and watch TV or DVD's. What a great first impression!

The room itself was spacious, and gave the impression that the facility had been built in the late 50's-early 60's, judging from the stove that was in the kitchenette. To be fair, as evidenced by the minor dings, dents, and erosion of some of the room's fixtures, it was certainly fighting the ultimately-losing battle against the elements, particularly the ocean that lay just across the street.

However, thanks to other details of the room, such as a pleasant color scheme, an immaculate and well-decorated bathroom, and microwave popcorn (and a microwave to go with it), I soon had a smile on my face, and wrote off the room's cosmetic imperfections as "charm".

Even better was the morning, when I visited the roof deck that faces the ocean. With sofas, televisions, and hammocks (yes, hammocks), I wanted to extend our stay so badly.

Bottom line, the inn is obviously an old girl, but still a charmer. I certainly will go out of my way to stay there next time to lie on a hammock in the sun or to play backgammon with my wife.

• Liked — Hospitality, unique amenities, location
  • Disliked — Aging room fixtures
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Otaking
California
Reviewed 18 October 2007

It's shocking to me that anyone would give this hotel a good review. When calling ahead of time to let them know we were on our way, we were beraded for making our reservations through Hotels.com. I called and told the gentleman that we were celebrating a special occasion and if he could put us in as nice a room as possible. His response was "well, a nice room would cost you three times more than you're paying through hotels.com, etc." when i heard his bad attitude, I knew it was a bad sign.

our room was a complete dump. the matress was thrown on top of a dirty water-damaged wood thing, the bathtub had a ring of dirt around it and wouldn't drain. the toilet seat was dirty with what seemed to resemble feces.

the only positive thing about this experience is that we received a full refund upon our complaint. the first guy we dealt with was a total jerk, but the guy on the second day was much nicer and agreed to refund us. we left after one night, and stayed at the Madonna Inn which was MUCH nicer than this hotel. don't believe me? check out the pictures we took!

we travel a lot and have stayed in many different types of hotel rooms -- from the Ritz Carlton to Best Western. This hotel is simply the worst we've ever seen.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2007
3 Thank travelbug227_7
Porterville, CA
Reviewed 15 October 2007

This place is so laid back and wonderful. We usually stay at Sycamore Mineral Springs, but decided to try Inn at Avila Beach. What a treat! Not only is it more personable and homey feeling, the value and view could not compare to that other place!
Falling asleep listening to the waves crash onto shore was pure heaven!
The old Mexico tile and themes were beautiful.
The roof top deck is wonderful, we actually took naps up there it's so comfortable and beautiful.
We're already planning our next trip to Inn at Avila Beach!
Oh, and the staff were AWESOME!

• Liked — EVERYTHING
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed 14 October 2007

We loved everything about this hotel -- the colorful rooms, kitchen stocked with everything you could need, all the games/books/movies, amazing location and best of all the rooftop deck! It's a great place to lounge in a hammock with a glass of wine and enjoy the view of the ocean. The owner was very friendly and accommodating. A great place to relax, I can't recommend it enough.

• Liked — The rooftop deck
  • Disliked — The lack of elevator
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
#11 of 29 in Pismo Beach
SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel
SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel
#8 of 29 in Pismo Beach

Been to Inn at Avila Beach? Share your experiences!