Inn at Avila Beach
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
San Luis Bay Inn(Avila Beach)
  • Pool
Avila Village Inn(Avila Beach)
Spyglass Inn(Pismo Beach)
View Hotel
Shell Beach Inn(Shell Beach)
View Hotel
The Inn at the Cove(Pismo Beach)
View Hotel
All reviewssun deckocean frontpiecookiesno elevatorthird floorrecord playerboogie boardsice creamday bedcourtyard roomsand toysmicrowave popcornan older hotelbeach housethe upper deckwatch the sunset
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The Inn at Avila Beach is like staying at a friend's beach condo. Many of the comforts of home are available to you. Yes, you may find little things like peeling wallpaper, but there's a large flat screen in each room with a library of videos in the lobby if you want to decompress in your room, a refrigerator for keeping leftovers from one of the many great restaurants in the area, and a microwave for reheating those leftovers as a midnight snack. The lobby has coffee, an assortment of teas, and cold bottled water. If you've done wine tasting on the Central Coast, the sun deck is a great place to unwind with a bottle of wine you've picked up that day while watching the waves come in. Or, if you're in an ocean view room, sit on the balcony to watch the sun set. You will find families at the Inn, and they can be a bit noisy, but I marvel how it becomes so peaceful after dark. I missed the pies from the Avila Barn served in the lobby at 8 p.m. because the soothing sounds of the waves put me in relax mode and I took a little nap. That's okay, I needed the time to relax in a comfortable room with the ocean telling me to let go and live a little. We will be back.
I'm looking forward to the aforementioned renovations to see what's in store.

Room Tip: Magnificent views on the sun deck, but ocean view room are worth the extra expense.
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Inn is well located just across the road from the beach front. It's on a rise from the main "promenade" which improves the view. Saw dolphins from the balcony as the sun set. Inn is very friendly with Free cookies (nice too), hot chocolate and reasonable coffee all included. Hot fruit pies at 8pm also went down well.

On the downside, the building appears to be subsiding down the rise on the western end. You can see it on the stairs and on the bedside tables in our front corner room - objects slid off the table. It's not bad, but I hope the owners deal with it before any earthquakes.

Saw sea otters from the pier in the morning. Nice place!

Room Tip: Highly recommend a room at the front looking over the ocean.
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I made reservations for a Friday/Saturday night stay on the web site. Had an Ocean Front King room confirmed. Upon arrival was told I'd been assigned the "family suite" room, instead. I asked if it was "ocean front" and was told, "Oh, it has a living room, a bath...and the ocean view will be from the bedroom." This room is located on the 3rd floor, but overseeing the roof of a house and the ocean view blocked by the Hotel's sun deck. It was "old and tired"...the heater didn't work until my wife lit the pilot light. There was no balcony on which we love to sit and read...and it was generally a disappointment. So...if you book a room, be prepared for their reassignment. We won't return.

Room Tip: Hope that the booking guarantee matches what you're assigned upon arrival? GOOD LUCK! We won't return.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
cahotelguy, Owner at Inn at Avila Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Thank you for your recent review..We strive to do our best in accommodating all requests,but in some cases that doesnt appear possible . In checking with our staff you orginally DID book a family suite and when you arrived you, than requested oceanfront which was not available ,we tried our best we could to accommodate your last minute request and rearranged other guests stays ,to get you partial view .Again .we are very sorry that your stay was not as expected .

Often third party websites like one you booked are vague on differences in room types ,we always encourage guests to call ANY hotel direct ,so staff can accommodate your needs and desires .and some times confusing .We are doing our best to call back reservations made that way to be sure misunderstandings don't occur . Third party sites while excellent tool in identifying properties in area,rarely give you details that either hotel sites provide our talking with real person .. Particularly in non chain hotels like ours that have many different types of rooms.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write ,we are going through a major renovation of all rooms and will be done in Spring ,Fireplaces ,jacuzzi tubs for two ,multi head showers ,new everything including walls and floor treatments .But our hotel even after such major major renovation will still be 60 years old ,and have many different types of rooms and will retain its wonderful electic whimisical style . Shabby? we would disagree with your comments ,but if you are use to Motel 6 /Holiday Inn chain type hotels, clearly we are wrong hotel for you ,as we were this time . .We will never be that hotel ,but we try to whimiscal fun place to stay just steps from the water ..have good life and i hope you find room bliss ,wherever you go .

Reviewed 8 November 2013

First time staying here and I got to stay wow. Being able to sleep with the sounds of the waves was the best the ocean front room were awesome The staff was great really made you feel at home if you want to relax this a the place for you we are already planning a return trip.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are the best
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I have stayed here twice, and had a wonderful experience both times. Even though I have never stayed in the ocean view rooms, I went to sleep each night to the sound of the ocean waves. The rooms are eclectic and very unpretentious (they still use keys), but everything you could want is included and the entire hotel is very clean. The staff is helpful and more than friendly. If you are going to visit Cal Poly (as I did), it is only a ten minute drive to Avila.

Room Tip: Both times I stayed in rooms on the left side of the hotel, on the end in back, overlooking a hill. I think those rooms are the quietest.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you ! we are halfway through our major renovation ..The oceanfront and spa rooms have really turned out as we had hoped .The rest hotel will be completed in Spring .In addition to 10 more spa rooms (jacuzzi tubs for two,fireplaces, multi head showers,) we are going to have five spectular theme suites ...we should have information on our website soon .thank you again for your kind comments.