“Sweet Home Away From Home”
Review of Inn at Avila Beach

Inn at Avila Beach
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
City of Angels
“Sweet Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 20 December 2009

I stay here at least 2-3 times a year. Always in a spa room....the rates are fantastic and this is an "inn" not a "hotel"....it is older, quaint, & on the ocean. I've been coming here for more than 6 years...right after the beach clean-up.

If I want 4-5 Star high class, first rate...hoity-toity....then I'll stay at the Ritz, and I'll pay the rates, but otherwise...I'm looking for a "deal" and I get it here.

If i want the same but Newer, I'll go up the street to La Fonda....same style, same city, same owner...the rooms are brand new, smaller, not ocean front.....and definitely more expensive.

No elevator? Really well the exercise doesn't bother me.......

The staff here bend over backwards to make the stay comfortable....when the roof leaked (as it use to do when it rained), they made good on it... If you want a tour, well you get one of the open rooms.....free water, coffee, tea, popcorn, movies & books... Real plates & utensils & glasses for the kitchens & an awesome sun/moon deck.

For the discounted price, you're not going to get any better deal.....unless you want to stay at Motel 6!

All those negative reviewers are whiners!

I

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
FRESNO
Reviewed 27 October 2009

This was are first relaxaing weekend in a long time, so we were very excited. We arived before check in and it was no problem are room was ready. That was great we couldn't wait. We walked into are room and it was nice... but not what we were expecting. The room was ok, but for the money that we paid we wanted something a lot nicer.There was no deck and no air condition, the shower was from 1970 and the spa tub faucets were broken, no table and the fire place did not blow out any air so it just looked nice .The roof top deck was great in the morning. Any other time it was full of people and there kids. The great thing was the beach was across the street and was a great time. The shops were super nice and all the people were great to deal with. In the future we will not be coming back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BEACH81
Shawnee, KS
Reviewed 22 October 2009

We stayed at the Inn at Avila Beach October 9 - 12, 2009. We traveled with two other familes. All together we had six adults and 2 pre-teens. The location of the hotel cannot be beat.. It is just steps from the beach. Avila Beach Grocery is just down the block in easy walking distance and you will find absolutely everything you need there..

My family has stayed here on many occasions. This is the only hotel we stay in when we visit the San Luis Obispo / Avila Beach area. This time we took friends with us for their first visit to the area so my running partner and I could compete in The City to the Sea Half -Marathon. This was our wonderful home base. Our friends absolutely loved it also. The roof-top sun deck was the PERFECT place to unwind after the run. The kids were safely playing on the beach where we could so easily see them.. (as well as the dolphins and seals that were swimming in the shallow water by the sand!)

This time we splurged and got an ocean front room. I don't know that it was really worth the extra money. You can hear the ocean from many of the rooms. My favorite room in the whole place is room 213. (not the room we were in). It has a fireplace and a jacuzzi tub. I will choose it over the ocean front room next time we go back. (and we WILL be back). All rooms get to use the sun deck, and that is a way better place to relax than your balcony. (although we did hang out there too.)

It is an older hotel and you can hear people out moving around. Just remember that and don't be the person who bangs their suitcase down the stairs at 5 AM. It is much nicer to hear the ocean! However, the older rooms and less noise insulation are far outweighed by several things -

-the service from the staff there is un-matched.
-the location can't be beat
-love the common rooms by the fireplace in the office area. we used it as our gathering spot daily.
-the beauty and charm are calling me back
-I wouldn't stay anywhere else in the area.

Pismo beach, wine tasting in SLO, wine tasting in Paso Robles, Morro Bay are all close by and worth a visit! Go and enjoy!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
california
Reviewed 19 October 2009

We love this hotel. It is beautifuly decorated. The bed & firplace in the room was so comfortable and the bathroom was large & the shower amazing! The hottub outside was private and relaxing..one of the beat hotel experiences we have had. Love it herw and will be back again.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Northern California
Reviewed 10 October 2009

We came in March for my husband's birthday. We rented one of the rooms with a fireplace and a jacuzzi since we expected to have a cozy chilly week. The room was darling in a kitschy kind of way, but it didn't turn out to be cold, it was actually quite hot (no air conditioning - but there was a ceiling fan). The fireplace was small and faced the jacuzzi not into the room. We moved after a couple nights into a beachfront room. That room was not as cute as the other—and I really loved the king in the first room—but the view was wonderful. Once we moved the fog came in and we missed our other room.... C'est la vie...

We came in around 9pm on our first night and went to check out the place. I was eager to see the sundeck. What a kick... It faces the ocean and has numerous little alcoves with couches, tvs with vcrs, umbrellas, etc so that families can each have their own little spot in this public area. Since it was late, no one else was there. It was a warm beautiful night so we got a bottle of wine and sat looking at the ocean and the stars all evening. It was really nice to have nothing to do in that beautiful place.

The town is small and toursity. There are restaurants and tourist shops but not much else.
The beach isn't a grab a blanket and lay out kind of beach but there are a couple long piers to walk on and a local spa to get a massage or facial. Otherwise, you need to go into other towns for something to do.

We went to the Crab Pot in Pismo Beach where you pick your shellfish choices and they bring them to the table with sausage and corn on the cob and dump it on the table. You are given utensils, spices, sauces and tons of paper towels. What Fun! (not cheap though). Afterwords we just walked the town to the beach... Really fun little town.

I was supposed to work and sat in that great sundeck while my husband went off biking.
The internet really SUCKS so if you have to work, prepare to be really frustrated. If you are a biking sort, there is a short trail near the golf course, but if you are a serious rider like my husband, head south and be prepared for traffic and other inconveniences (not the best place for his needs).

The hotel was not fully booked when we were there but there was no parking in the hotel lot (under the building). I found the last spot on the street and didn't move it during the day. We wouldn't have gotten back in.

They had videos in the lobby for free but the choices were very old (cool for kids, I suspect). We brought DVDs but there was no player for them. There was a one time "high tech" cd player in our room... Very 1970s.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Devon
Reviewed 27 September 2009

A lovely little hotel in a stunning setting on a lovely beach. We stayed here out of season (late September) and didn't need to book in advance. The first night we cheaped out and didn't go for the sea view, but still got a lovely room and spent a significant part of the evening in a huge hammock on the communal sun terrace a stones throw from the beach. We were only planning on staying 1 night here before heading on to Santa Barbara, but in the morning we decided to make it 2 nights and upgraded ourselves to a room with a jacuzzi. Definitely worth spending that little bit extra! The added bonus that this place also has a library of DVD's and books - oh and they lent us some sun loungers to take down to the beach! Really accommodating place, can't recommend it (and Avila Beach) enough.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Sherman Oaks, California
Reviewed 10 September 2009

I stayed at the Inn at Avila Beach for the first time at the end of August, beginning of September, and I will be back. The Inn isn't a Marriott, a Holiday Inn, or a Four Seasons. It isn't cut from a hotel chain cookie cutter, and it isn't for everyone. But it is a marvalous experience for those who appreciate something non-corporate and down to earth - with spectacular views and access to the beach. It really is like a Mexican beach house, with colorful art, walls, and furniture (especially on the gorgeous rooftop sunporch facing the ocean that lets you really, really relax in broad hammocks, wicker chairs, and daybeds made up with bedding and pillows for an afternoon siesta. Also on the sunporch are barbeques so you can make your own dinner while watching the sun go down. The place doesn't have phones in the room or internet connections, but it does have the best location in town (and right next to Yo Mama's Coffee, too!), a staff that actually thanks you for coming, and a slowed-down version life that I could easily get used to. I needed a break from everything, and this was the best, more restorative getaway I've had in many years.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
#5 of 5 in Avila Beach
Spyglass Inn
Spyglass Inn
#11 of 29 in Pismo Beach

Been to Inn at Avila Beach? Share your experiences!