“Great time!” 4 of 5 bubbles

24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Great time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Captain Lee is very knowledgable about the area! It's not just a boat ride to see the wildlife and water - he knows so much about the history of the area. He also engages each person and tries to get to know a little about them! A genuinely nice guy!

We were scheduled to take a 11am ride but he called us the day before to tell us that he had been out at 9:30am and saw a lot of wildlife so we switched to 9:30. Just as we were leaving he wanted to switch it to 11 since there was a lot of fog in the area but then called back to retract since the other party couldn't do 11. I was a bit disappointed since I knew it would be foggy but he said he didn't really want to do a boat ride with less than 4 people and we had 3 in our group. While I understand this, I wish we did stick with the 11am tine because by then the fog lifted and the sun was shinning! Oh well - even more reason to come back and see everything in sun shine!

Although we didn't see any whales, he tried hard to find them but they weren't around! We did see a ton of birds, otters, seals and sea lions!

$25 per person. Takes credit cards.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Erin M

san luis obispo CA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A "must do" when you visit the Central Coast....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Played tourist yesterday with Lee Henry Egan who owns SEAWEED EXPRESS. Lee provides tours of the waters off of Avila for up to 6 individuals in his well-maintained inflatable craft. I highly recommend Lee to you and any of your friends and family that desires an “up close” look at our beautiful Bay and its inhabitants.

But that is not the main reason I am recommending Lee. You see (and see/vision are key words here) my Brother In Law Gilbert is legally blind, 90% deaf, deals with Diabetes and numerous complications from this disease, not to mention that he has been dealing with debilitating learning disabilities since birth. Gilbert’s 61 birthday was yesterday and he loves the Ocean. Gilbert cannot see or hear the Ocean as you and I but he senses the beauty, and thrives on the calmness that it provides to him without any judgment to who he is, how he looks or acts. Gilbert has dealt with people judging him since birth and rarely has it been fair. Gilbert has been judged, laughed at, made fun of, and beaten up physically and mentally by others. Gilbert has challenges daily that would cripple you or I, maybe some of you know or have a Gilbert in your family. Gilbert is a Rock Star in our family and continually provides inspiration, love and happiness without asking for anything in return, the definition of unconditional love
So a call to Lee was in order to provide a day of relaxation, calmness and beauty that this world provides daily to most of us but something Gilbert normally does not get to experience. Once on the phone to Lee, I described the tour we wanted and even though he was getting ready to take off for a few days before the summer rush to relax up in Mammoth, he dropped everything and said meet me at the dock at 11…

What I was expecting was a few hours of respite from the World for Gilbert, a chance to be with his Sister and me, a time to breathe…
What we (and Gilbert specifically) received was beyond what we could have hoped for…

Imagine for a moment being deaf and blind and being escorted off a pier and into an inflatable Zodiac… pretty scary stuff. Lee took his time, made Gilbert comfortable, dissolved Gilbert's fears of being on the Ocean and made the entire trip about Gilbert…

Lee would expertly steer the craft and describe to Gilbert the wonders of our beautiful bay here in Avila. Gilbert “saw and heard” baby Seals, Pelicans, Sea Otters, and Kelp. Gilbert “listened” intently as Lee described to Gilbert the beautiful Point San Luis Lighthouse, and Pirates Cove. The highlight of the trip was when Lee gingerly piloted the Zodiac into one of the caves at Fossil Point. You may have heard that people who have lost senses such as sight and hearing that other senses are strengthened… Gilbert Smelled the Cave, Touched the Cave in a way that is unlike the ability that you or I have. In that moment Gilbert was whole, this was the stuff of childhood dreams for Gilbert.

Both my wife and I can never Thank Lee enough for providing Gilbert that one powerful moment.

Go check out Lee--- of Seaweed Express you will “see” the beautiful Bay of Avila like it was the first time ever and come back with an experience that will last a lifetime.
I have included a few images of Gilbert's discoveries on the bay yesterday as well as a pic of Gilbert, his Sister, (my lovely wife Naomi) and me, the lunatic behind the wheel. Thanks Lee for grabbing my camera and preserving the moment…

Visited June 2014
6 Thank lexus1155
San Luis Obispo, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Adventure? Oh yeah!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Captain lee gave me and a couple friends an awesome ride around Avila. He was knowledgable about the bay, its history, and it's marine life! Best way to discribe his boat driving? Confident. We stayed mostly dry but hey, it's an adventure tour! Can't wait to go out again.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Hjkessel
Livermore, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Speechless!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Our first tour and loved it. We had an incredible time with captain Lee who's down-to-earth and provided fun facts. We were blown away with seeing dolphins, sea otters, sea lions, different species of birds, caves, lighthouse, and the rich history of San Luis Bay. Planning a second trip.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Renee D
Taft, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We took a tour today that was absoluty amazing. We got to see humpback whales, which was incredible. Our boat captain was so knowledgable of the area and the ocean life. This is our third time on the Seaweed Express and everytime is awesome. I would definately recommend taking this tour, you will absolutely love it.

Visited August 2013