“A Nice Evening”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Four friends / business associates and I took dinner at the Olde Port Inn and we ordered a variety of dishes. I chose the Cioppino and was pleased although not awed which I was looking to be. The broth was a little too garlicky and this from someone that loves garlic. Three of my friends ordered the Halibut and were very pleased. The other gentleman ordered the Sea Bass and it was too dry. He tried a taste of the Halibut from another and was impressed as was I when I tried it from a separate plate.
Overall, you have a nice setting, pre sunset is very pretty, and the service and wines were enjoyable but the meals were good but not special. Go for the atmosphere and the meal will be good to very good.

1  Thank catgordon

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Park at the end of the third pier in Avila Beach and walk out onto it for about 150 yards and you will walk back in time to a unique restaurant out over the water on what was once a thriving commercial fishing pier. Old Porte Inn is a classic seafood restaurant that serves great seafood at glass-topped tables that allow you to look straight down into the water. This place has been around for years and deserves the accolades it gets for it's food and ambiance. At night it can be very romantic as the Pacific ocean and stunning central-coast hills and valleys are just outside the windows. The portions are very generous - so be careful what you order! Servers are very polite although the front desk manager can be slightly chilly (probably cause he's always busy trying to accommodate everyone).

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We are doing a trip around California and planned to have lunch at the Old Port Inn at Avila Bay. I sent them an email several weeks ago regarding booking a table for Saturday 12th June Lunch. We never even received a reply which was a bad omen, but decided to go there anyway and chance our hand. As it happened we were given a table straight away.

Now I had read the story of the rebuilding of the pier and about the Old Port Inn and the stories of beautiful fresh fish and seafood. Sadly I must have been spoilt at home in Australia, as there was nothing on offer that was even inspiring. I had visualised a beautiful fresh fish grilled to perfection or similar, but there was nothing like this available at all. Everything was typical Californian messed about with! Cajun this and that and whatever, nothing resembling the beautiful unadulterated fresh fish I had been looking forward to. In desperation to get something to eat, I ordered simple fish and chips and even this had rubbery batter with some sort of Cajun spice in it that ruined the fish. I had a memory of Avila Beach and the Old port Inn from ten years ago or so, and was really looking forward to the experience I had then. Seeing the crowd at Avila Beach, the demographic seems to have changed downwards somewhat and so this probably accounts for the sad demise of this former great restaurant. I don't think I will return there again.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is nice for a special meal out. The atmosphere, food, service and view were all great, especially at sundown

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Olde Port Inn ... On the 3rd pier in Avila (most northern). My husband had fresh sole & I had steamers with a Caesar Salmon Salad. The food was fabulous & reasonable. All prepared to perfection. The view is beautiful with the ocean & the boats. It is at the end of a fishing pier so you have the smells of the catch of the day so don't be offended if that is not your cup of tea. It was a wonderful find with excellent food! Will definitely be back!

1  Thank Trvlinstyle