“Wonderfully Peaceful and quiet”
Review of Avila Village Inn

Avila Village Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Very nice hotel. Elegantly styled rooms and bathrooms in excellent condition. The rooms are so well insulated that we never heard a sound from other guests.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ItsMona
There are newer reviews for Avila Village Inn

Reviewed 16 April 2011

We just returned from our third stay at The Avila Village Inn. It is my favorite place to stay now when we travel to San Luis Obispo. The rooms are quite beautiful and I like that it isn't too large of a hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Access to the Avila Athletic Club is great! They have pools, tennis courts, gym, spa, excersize classes, etc. We have stayed in both room categories- with and without hot tub. Both are great! We look forward to returning to this great hotel in Avila Beach.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank dramz3
Reviewed 1 April 2011

First of all, let's start with the location. From the freeway, you totally do need to know where you're going at night because there are no road lights, just your headlights guiding you. Basically, once you exit 101 off San Luis Rd, you go about 1.5 miles and turn right when you see a sign for Avila Village. It'll be a little obvious because you'll finally see light. If you come to the dead end (Avila Beach Dr.), you've passed it by maybe 100 feet. For those of you looking for beachfront property, this is not it. You still need to make a right turn into Avila Beach drive and go another... 2 miles. There you will find boutiques, restaurants, and probably more expensive hotels.

Once you turn right into the property, you will see stores, businesses, and a health club hidden in there, so drive towards the back (and hopefully you'll see the sign). I was here for 2 weeknights, and there were plenty of parking right in front. The lobby is very well appointed, and all the front desk clerks I spoke to are helpful and nice (I interacted to 4 different people!).

The hotel has two floors with about 15 rooms on each floor. The elevator is right in front of the front desk, and they have luggage carts if you need them. It's an open lobby with lots of sitting area and a fireplace, so it's one of those places where you can linger outside your room. There is a sitting area on the second floor as well.

My room was on the second floor with a balcony facing the parking lot. The bathroom was spacious with double sinks and an area in between to put your stuff and a jacuzzi tub. The tub has a shower as well. I don’t take baths in hotels, so this was not a big deal, but I couldn’t figure out how to not use the shower. There was a button, but it didn’t do anything. I do want to say that you do have to straddle the side of the tub to get it, which can be kind of “scary” when you’re in a vulnerable position! It’s very high, so I barely cleared, if you know what I mean! This can be a safety issue for many. Plenty of towels were available, and they have nice toiletries. It's gel soap instead of bar soap for the tub, but you do get a bar soap for the sink. There is also a chair if you'd like to sit there and do your make up/hair, but I didn't use it. I think it'd be difficult to see over the sink area though (the seat is kind of short). They provide a hair dryer.

The room was a little smaller than I had hoped, but it had nice amenities. There was a small refrigerator, about waist height, not the small cube ones, that is housed in a cabinet that included a sink and drawer. There is a nice stainless steel ice bucket (matches the 2 stainless steel garbage cans), but they don't have liners for them. However, you can ask for a garbage can liner to use (I wrote a note for the next day). There is no microwave or coffee maker in the room, but they have 24 hour coffee in the lobby and a microwave for all to use in the "bar" area on the second floor.

There is a fireplace (which I didn't use), an armoire with two drawers and holds the TV (a tube TV, by the way), two chairs and a small round table for a sitting area, and a bed sandwiched between two night stands. Lighting can be improved in the room. It's definitely not conducive for work, as the brightest area is in front of the fireplace because it has two nice tract light bulbs shining on it. However, if you sit in bed or in one of the chairs, it's a little dim. There is also a small closet with a handful of hangers in there along with an iron and ironing board.

If room temperature is a big deal for you like it is for me, I found that if you set the thermostat for a specific temperature, it doesn't shut off once it reaches that but about 15 minutes later. I guess that's so that it can hold that temp for a while before having to turn on again.

I think the room should have been cleaner especially for the type of hotel it is (seems more for couples, romantic, higher class). I am kind of grossed out by hotel rooms, so I have an eye for stuff that doesn't belong. There were several items such as the top of the alarm clock and the face mirror with a layer of dust on it (not a layer from 1 day, but a long time), I found hair in the area between the two sinks and on the side of the tub - I HATE seeing other people's hair.

The lobby area, especially, the second floor is very warm (for me). I saw temps of 76 and 79 on the thermostat throughout my stay, but I got the feeling that it was purposely set that high, not because the property was well insulated (since it was probably 67 inside the room. Perhaps they can save some energy by turning the thermostat down a little bit since hardly anyone hangs out in the lobby of the second floor anyway.

Breakfast is from about 7-10, and it is a very light breakfast. From what I saw, there was orange juice, milk, and coffee; there is cheerios and fruit loops cereal (bulk type, not single boxes). The bread offering were several types of bagels, sliced breads, and pastries (Danish?) in single packages. I had a bagel w/butter. You basically just help yourself. I was the only one eating at 8:00 a.m.

You can use the health club for free, but the hours didn't agree with me as I get back to the hotel late (close at 9:00 p.m. on weeknights). They have gym equipment, classes (yoga, Pilates, spinning, etc.) and a pool. They also have trainers and massage therapists (for a fee).

There is free internet and it works really well. I never got kicked off at all. I just turned on the computer, and it worked, which is not my experience in most hotels. There is no password, no installing anything, etc. When I checked out, the clerk asked if I enjoyed my stay and I said it was fine because I’m not convinced that people really care, but he was smart and followed up to asked whether something could have been fixed. The only thing I told him was that I found hair belonging to previous guest when I showed up, and he said he’d let the right people know. That’s a great sign!

I was staying somewhere else on a regular basis but finally had to change venue because of the noise. I'm glad I found this place; I never heard the people above me or next door at all. The refrigerator does make noise on a regular basis but based on my experience with the other hotel, this is the norm. I think the hotel caters more to couples rather than families or groups, so you don't have loud groups hanging around or small kids running down the hall screaming, all of which is great for me since I like it as quiet as possible. I would definitely recommend this place and will be back soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor w/only 1 neighbor
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2011

The hotel looks like it's a mountain chalet, nicely built but NOT what you want if what you're interested in is to have an OCEAN view. I paid for the ocean view upgrade, but I think I should have climbed on the roof for perhaps have a chance to see it ... Room is nice, I had the one with the small jacuzzi on the balcony.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2011

We just returned from a week long trip along the California Coast. After a stay in a small Inn in Santa Barbara, I was so pleased when I walked into my room at Avila Village Inn. That room was a sight for sore eyes. Lovely decor. The fireplace and the jaccuzi on the balcony was the icing on the cake. The large bathroom and large shower with the shower bench was also a pleasant surprise. There is a nice pathway behind the hotel. We took the 1.3 mile walk into town. There were also joggers and biker along the path. Everyone in town was so friendly. The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful with all of our requests. From suggesting restaurants for dinner, to booking our golf Tee times. Access to the Spa was a nice touch although we didn't have time to use any of the amenities. This is one of my best finds in a long time. We have deemed this our new hideaway and will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank klewis0906
Reviewed 23 February 2011

We spent 3 nights at the lovely Avila Village Inn. Our room, with a hot tub on the balcony and a gas fireplace to sit by was beautifully furnished in craftsman/mission style, with a big, well equipped bathroom and ultra-comfortable king size bed. It is located in a very peaceful spot. The staff could not have been more helpful. My only quibble, nothing to do with the hotel itself, is that there are no restaurants nearby (the nearest, at the Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort) is over half a mile away. We had a nice meal there although the service was extremely slow). the adjacent health club was extremely well equipped.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AesRochester_NY
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Had such a great experience at this inn. Got a great deal on my ro. om which consisted of a king size bed, fireplace, and a romantic jacuzzi tub. The room looked more like a bedroom than a hotel room which was great. Felt right at home. Its location is great cause its out of the way yet close enough to access whatever you need. I can't wait to stay here again for another romantic getaway. Would definitely recommend this place

• Stayed: February 2011
#10 of 29 in Pismo Beach
SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel
SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel
#9 of 29 in Pismo Beach

Been to Avila Village Inn? Share your experiences!