“Best hotel in the San Luis Obispo area”
Review of Avila Village Inn

Avila Village Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
Beverly Hills, California
“Best hotel in the San Luis Obispo area”
Reviewed 16 February 2006

We chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor member recommendations and were not disappointed. We ate dinner at Sycamore Springs Resort, which seemed to be crowded with more than just guests, and we were happy to return to the peace and quiet at Avila Village Inn. For the most comfort request an upper creekside room. They have a bit of traffic noise during the day but it cannot be heard at all when the sliding glass door is shut. Also, compared to other accommodations in the area this place offers the best value for what you get.

Stayed February 2006
1 Thank Facelvega

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Reviewed 11 February 2006

Having stayed at several establishments in the Avila, Pismo, San Luis Obispo area, we keep coming back here. Private, beautiful decor, lovely wine bar upstairs, near everything we enjoy (very short drive or bicycle ride to the beach), it just couldn't be better for us. I especially appreciate how clean the rooms are and how nice the beds and bedding are. Ask for room 201 because it has extra space with a nice bay window/window seats---but only if you aren't interested in the hot tub rooms. (There is no hot tub or balcony in 201, but the price reflects that.) The fitness room can't be beat and it is always empty!
One thing to beware of if you go there....do not under any circumstances eat at the Avila Village Market unless you are starving and cannot drag yourself anywhere else. The service was hostile and they could not keep up with the 8-10 people that were there trying to eat breakfast. More rude behavior from behind the counter than I have ever encountered...the cheese wasn't melted in the omlettes and they couldn't provide us with any forks because they said they were in the dishwasher! So we sat and waited until our server came out and basically threw them at us. Kind of sad because the place is really cute with lots of wonderful area wines.

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 31 December 2005

I want to know where all of the people who didn't enjoy this hotel usually stay. It sounds like they are used to 1000 tread count sheets and raw silk toilet paper. This hotel is WONDERFUL. Newly built, and very well executed. The rooms are small, but honestly, if you are traveling to the central coast, you want to get out of the hotel room and see things, not spend all of your time lounging in your room. That’s what Palm Springs is for. But the bed is large enough for lounging in any case. If you like lounging with three or four people on the floor, then you will run into a problem with the room size.

The hotel rooms are well appointed, with a huge bathroom covered in limestone, Jacuzzi tub, a shower head that works, two sinks, in side the room there is a fireplace that turns on with a switch, very comfortable beds, balcony with a nice view of the hills, and DVDs to borrow. Everything was decorated very nicely, in a style that you do not see very often in hotel rooms. Thick crown molding, carved wood headboard, and the walls are not in shades of white or beige. The water in the fridge is complimentary too, not costing two or three bucks like most hotels.

You are a very short drive to the beach, San Luis Obispo, Morro Rock, etc. We ate dinner at the Custom House in Avila Beach one night, and it was very good. Salmon is caught fresh right off the coast, best salmon I’ve had in a long time. That was about as much of the town we explored, however. We spent most of our time at Hearst Castle, Morro Rock, in San Luis Obispo, and driving up the 1.

If you want a place to just relax, and don’t care to see the sites, I think this is a great spot to do it as well. It’s just an Inn, not a large hotel. There is no room service, and you have to walk across the parking lot to the spa, which is the equivalent from going from Bebe to BCBG two stores down. But it’s a great stay, there is a little bar in house (open 4-10pm) if you don’t want to leave, and the market/deli walking distance away is a good place to eat. The rooms are also very comfortable and soothing.

This is honestly a great place to stay. I loved it at this hotel. At the end of a long day exploring, it felt like home when you got there. I would stay there again. I think it is probably best in the cooler months, when having the beach at your window isn’t a necessity, but I’m sure it’s a nice place at any time of year.

• Stayed December 2005
7 Thank socalweekender
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 26 December 2005

We went to this place during the Christmas weekend. Before leaving, we read all the reviews on this page, and after reading some of the bad reviews we were quite worried that we might have made a wrong decision to book this place for our stay - especially since we will have our year-old daughter with us. But overall we are very satisfied with the place.

The room was on the smaller side - but because of its architecture it provided enough space. The bathroom was very spacious. The room and bathroom fittings are top-notch. The room was clean. Things worked properly including the cable, DVD and wi-fi connection. The staff was helpful and courteous. I had to request them to microwave my daughter's milk at some ungodly hours (3:30 in the morning, for example). They never showed any irritation.

The only small issue was that even though the website promises the breakfast delivered to the room, that service was suspended - we were told only for this weekend. Fortunaltely for us it was not much of an inconvenience since our room was located just in front of the lobby. The breakfast itself was nothing to write home about - adequate but not fancy or hot - but then that was never promised either.

Overall, our experience was a pleasant one.

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank Buddhist_Monk
Reviewed 10 October 2005

We stayed at the hotel during a wedding, wine tasting weekend. Everything went well. Clean rooms, kind service, and questions answered. The gym facilities were above what you usually get at a hotel. Some of the wedding guests went next door to the private club and were able to play tennis for the day. We walked along a 1 and a half mile path to the beach(gorgeous fish, deer, etc.). The only suggestions I would make is to tell the guests continental breakfast is included. The rooms have irons and blow dryers, which when I called ahead the front desk was not aware of. *The best wine cellar I've seen in awhile is at the market within walking distance of the hotel!

Stayed October 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 September 2005

Oh where to begin? This is by far the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I travel to Pismo often and to my dismay there were no available rooms anywhere so I decided to try Avila Beach since it was highly recommended by a close friend. When I went on the internet to view hotel I came across what seemed like a lovely resort type atmosphere, boy was I wrong. We searched for 1 hour trying to find the hotel since we were given horrid directions upon our phone call to the hotel. When we finally found the place we were unhappy because it was not at all private and was no where near the beach like we were told. We checked in at 5 PM only to find out that our jacuzzi was not working and after going to our room we discovered that it had not been cleaned. Ok mistakes happen we went to dinner in Avila and when we returned we discovered that they would not be able to clean it so we were moved upstairs to a room right next to the bar. What a joke, the staff and management seemed to be enjoying the cocktails at the bar! The room was small, dirty, had poor lighting and while the furnishings and amenities are luxurious they bed linens were scratchy and stiff, the TV got horrible cable reception, the water pressure was very low, and our breakfast was delivered cold over an hour after we had requested. When I brought the issues to the manager I was made to feel like a nuisance! Big surprise Im not to receptive when Im hungover either!

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed 14 July 2005

I spent a week at this hotel for a work trip.
I really liked the room. It's in great shape since it is so new. The showerhead is huge, so is the jacuzzi tub. I didn't have one of the rooms with an outdoor jacuzzi. The bed was comfortable, I I liked the decor much more than the average hotel, it was really very well done, soothing. The room was small, but shaped in a way that it didn't feel that small. There was a DVD/CD player, and a nice TV...but no pay-per-view. Firepace was nice. Also had a really stong air-conditioner. I Never used the gym.

It is not on the beach, it is tucked away in a valley about 5 minutes away from the beach area. The location is a little strange, sort of a random compound tucked half-way between the freeway and Avila Beach. The little village has a decent grocery store with actually pretty good personal pizzas and a solid wine selection.
I liked the staff at the hotel. I thought it was great that the free breakfast was just left outside your door with a gentle knock instead of a load knock and them delivering in your room and needing to leave a tip. It was just really peaceful and laid-back overall, not at all what I'm used to. I slept with my window open and it was perfectly peaceful.

The only reasons I'm not giving it a 5/excellent-rating... :
1) The room was attractive and well appointed, but on the small side
2) The location is off the beaten path (which is also a good thing, it wasn't crowded or loud, and was really close to the beach...but no view of the beach).
3) Getting into the tub/shower was a climb. I'm 5'9", and I literally had to climb in. If you're short or handicapped, you will have a hard time getting in this tub.
4) The biggest problem: Room cleanliness. When I first checked in, I found an aspirin on the floor and left-over ice-cream in the fridge. There was also a large metal bracket or something on the floor inside my door for no apparent rason the whole time i was there. So...I guess you might not want to bring kids here without checking the floor of your room first for pills or left-over construction parts. The pill was right there in the middle of the floor, how does housekeeping miss that?

Stayed May 2005
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,173 reviews
Spyglass Inn
Spyglass Inn
#11 of 27 in Pismo Beach

Been to Avila Village Inn? Share your experiences!