“A Day at the Beach...”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
new haven, ct
“A Day at the Beach...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2008

We stayed at the Avila Lighthouse Suites in August. Even though we were a couple of months before that in booking, everything was booked, and we ended up getting the rate through Expedia, but it was the same rate that was on their website...anyway it was extremely expensive for what it is, although what it is certainly is clean, roomy and nice.

After reading reviews here I emailed and requested a second floor room. When I didn't receive a reply I called. They had already made the change and when I noted that it was because we would have an elderly relative with us they thoughtfully gave us a room near the elevator. The staff was very helpful throughout.

I used the spa, and while it was very small and dim, that's fine as all you're doing is going into a tiny massage room. Prices there were competitive with other spas.

There indeed were tons of children at the place but they were not all that noisy. Walls are thin though - did hear neighbors yakking at 4 AM.

As for the dreaded foldout bed, we came prepared with a pillow and afghan and said elderly relative slept on it without opening it. She had the best night's sleep she'd had in days. Granted, she's tiny, but after reading the reviews I think if there's only one other person it would behoove them to sleep on it folded up!

Really thought I wouldn't like the nautical decor but it was bright and cheery and actually quite charming. Loved the printed window shades.

Location is great; pool and spa are across street from beach and only accessible with hotel key card.

• Liked — room and location
  • Disliked — price was very high
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank sullific

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

We stayed at this resort the last week of July. We found the hotel staff pleasant upon check-in, easy parking in the garage and it was no problem getting our luggage to the room. However, I was not pleased with the room we were given. I reserved an 'oceanview' room for the week but our room was more 'partial view'. For the price we paid, we wanted the full view of the ocean. We were on the far right side of hotel, overlooking the road and park. We went back to the front desk to complain and was graciously told the hotel was booked for the night and no more oceanview rooms were available. The clerk did say the room we had was considered an oceanview room but I don't agree (#206). The clerk offered to do some checking and get back to us. She called later to advise an oceanview room would be available next day and we could move. Our new room was perfect! We had a great view of the ocean and the pool. I was very pleased with how the staff resolved our issue. The room was very clean, quiet, had quaint decorations, 2 tv's, frig and internet connection that worked. I loved listening to the ocean waves at night from my bed. The grounds were neat, clean and attractive.

Before our trip, I read the reviews and was concerned about the complaints re:the sofabed mattress. I came prepared with an inflatible mattress but we didn't need it. Our 2 children (ages 11 and 15) had no problems and slept comfortably. The living area was a little cramped, especially when we had to move the large table to pull out the mattress but not a big deal. The bathroom was spacious with pleasing amenities (loved the lotion). The continental breakfast was ok. The waffles were delicious but I was expecting something similar to Residence Inn with the warm dishes such as scrambled eggs & hashbrowns. It was very convenient to bring your food back to the room if you didn't want to eat in the dining room, which could get rather noisy.

Our children loved the heated pool and spa but couldn't get enough of boogie boarding in the ocean. The waves were gentle and perfect for children. I enjoyed walking from my room out to the beach and reading a book. The weather was perfect - about mid 70's all week. Avila Beach was always sunny even if Pismo and Morro Bay were covered in fog.

We took a day trip to Heast Castle which is a must-see if you have never been there. Even my 11-yr old son enjoyed it. We spent a day in Pismo lounging on the beach there. The waves were bigger in Pismo but it was quite foggy all day.

The town of Avila Beach is small but fun to browse around in the shops. My daughter loved the smoothies at a shop around the corner (Blasting Blenders??). We ventured outside of Avila Beach for dinner each night. We recommend Fat Cats for a rustic cafe with indoor & outside seating. It is located at the pier at the end of Avila Beach Dr. It is in the parking lot, not on the pier. You have to try their onion rings - huge and tasty!! Another fun place is the Cracked Crab in Pismo Beach. If you order the bucket meal ($70 for 2-3 ppl), they literally pour your food from the bucket to the middle of the table for all to share. We had the prawns, lobster tails,dungeness crab, sausage, red potatoes and corn cobs - so yummy.

Overall, our vacation was really relaxing and enjoyed by all. We would definitely go back to this resort but make sure we have a room on the 2nd floor and a full ocean view. I definitely would not want a lower oceanfront room - too close to street and people can see in.

• Liked — The view and the comfortable king bed
  • Disliked — the price
1 Thank CaliGirl45
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2008

My family and I just returned from a 4 day stay at this property. The location and property are ideal for families with children. However, the set up of the one-bedroom suites are a bit stiffling. I can't put my finger on it, but the room felt small - and having to rearrange furniture to use the (very, very uncomfortable) fold-out couch bed didn't help. Avila Beach is a great place for families and the hotel is probably the best in town for kids. I was a bit surpirsed at how small the pool/pool area was - but overall a clean, newer feeling property. The complimentary nightly wine tasting was nice. I would probably stay up the road in Shell Beach on my next visit - the Dolphin Bay Resort in Shell Beach is much roomier and nicer, and not that different in price.

• Liked — Location in Avila Beach
  • Disliked — Suite was small, stiffling
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2008

We just returned from Avila Beach a couple of days ago. We stayed at the Avila Lighthouse Suites and found the hotel almost perfect. I have to say almost because if you are going there for a quiet relaxing visit, this is not the place for you, as it is a very family oriented hotel.

It is a perfect place to take children and the hotel is beautiful and well appointed. However, when booking, be sure you know the difference between an "ocean view" and "ocean front" room. Also, do not book online.....call the hotel and book requesting a top floor room. If you don't, you may end up on the bottom level with a 3 year old staying above you.

I would have thought a hotel of this caliber that is a family type hotel, would have had much better sound proofing! You can hear every footstep and movement above you and when a child is running back and forth, and back and forth, for hours........well, just call to insure your room assignment!

Also, do not expect anyone who is over the age of 10 to have to sleep on the fold out bed. It is most uncomfortable at best, and in order to use the bed, furniture must be rearranged causing any moving around an impossibility!

Even with all of this, I will not hesitate to stay again, only I will pay more and insist on an upper level room!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
1 Thank CaliforniaRaspberry
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

I stayed here on a girls weekend. The grounds and rooms are very clean and nice. The balcony of our room had a great view of the ocean and pool. The living room area was very small for a suite but was comfortable for the four of us. The parking is under the hotel and very convenient to get to. The best part of the place is the included continental breakfast. This is not your ordinary doughnut and coffee. It is everything from waffles to hard boiled eggs. Alot of variety and all of it was very good. Seating inside to eat was a little tight. Overall a very nice place to stay although Avila Beach is a very small community with not much to do in the off season.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — A little pricey
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
San Luis Obispo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2008

We have stayed in the hotel now a few times. The rooms are all super cute and have been decorated with that beach house feel. Even the smallest rooms have great views to the ocean. Once you park, it's a short walk to your room and then from your room to the pool or beach, which is only a few feet away. The rooms are clean and the bed is incredible. The sleeper sofa leaves something to be desired. You can feel the springs in the bed---very uncomfortable. And the big coffee table in that room barely fits in the room when you have to open the sofa bed!
The breakfast is great---you really look forward to making your own waffles in the morning. Plus, the variety of breakfast items is incredible. Everyone leaves happy.
It's a great hotel for small kids, or one with teenagers. Just depends when you're there--we've seen both and it isn't because of any specific time time we visisted. Both were in the summer.
The staff is mostly nice, although you expect a little better treatment for the price you pay. Some staff go out of their way, some treat you less, same as checking into a much lower priced hotel.

• Liked — poo, breakfast, access to beach
  • Disliked — some staff, pull out bed, nothing to do in immediate area except hang at pool.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
El Dorado Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2008

This is our second year of visiting Lighthouse Suits. I have found that the staff are always helpful and polite. I have two small children and find that the beach is perfect for us. The waves are small, the beach shallow. We only took one trip to Morro Bay, otherwise we stayed put and enjoyed our 5 days there.

The place can be a bit expensive, but if you check the web site and other places like Hotels.com you may be able to find a cheaper room. We originally booked an ocean front room (we had this room last year) and found right before we left for our vacation that we could get an ocean view room for about 100.00 less a night just because of a special promotion. I was very happy with the ocean view.

My girls love the chess set (mostly just to move the pieces around) and they enjoyed the heated pool after hanging out in the cold ocean water.

The park is a huge hit with them and a great change from so much water time.

We did rent the 4 seater bike and although we had fun we will never do it again since it was too difficult to peddle.

I recommend this location to any one.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,872 reviews
Spyglass Inn
Spyglass Inn
#11 of 27 in Pismo Beach

Been to Avila Lighthouse Suites? Share your experiences!