“Unexpected Surprise!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Upstate New York
“Unexpected Surprise!”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We were headed to Great Sand Dunes National Park and just happened to stay in Alamosa one night. Looking for a decent dinner, we stumbled into Calvillos and were blown away! The staff was friendly, attentive, without hovering, there was a couple and little boy playing live music on guitars (smiling the whole time), the buffet (including hand made, fresh tortillas, made right in front of us) was amazing. I can't believe they can have all of those features for the prices they charge. I think we got the buffet and a drink for eleven bucks.
Later that night they had some kind of fun Mexican party/salsa lessons, but we couldn't stay (little ones in our group). It was truly one of the best experiences of eating out that I've ever had. HIGHLY recommended.

2 Thank JBerUpstateNewYork

Parker, Colorado
“Yay - real Mexican food!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

It's pathetic how bad the Mexican food is living in Denver (and Colorado in general), so I was happily surprised at my experience eating at Calvillo's, especially since it's a buffet. Everything I tried WAS buffet food, prepared for a crowd (rather than to order), but it didn't feel that way. From the tamale to the excellent array of salsas, I wish I had a bigger appetite, it was all so good. The staff was friendly and helpful, as I didn't recogize some of the dishes. The lunch price was completely affordable considering the amount and various types of offerings. All-in-all, the next time I'm in Alamosa, I will be visiting Calvillo's again!

Visited March 2014
Estes Park, Colorado
“more choices than you can eat”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Very good Mexican restaurant and buffet. The buffet has everything on the menu and includes drink and desserts. Wonderful sopopias. A must s top I the San Louis valley.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best part of our trip!”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We are from Denver and took a long weekend trip to Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and the Great Sand Dunes. We've eaten Mexican food every day of our trip and this was the best food and experience by far!

The staff was really friendly, the owner thanked us for visiting his restaurant, and the food was soooo good! The prices are reasonable and they make you feel at home. We loved it here and will be back again!

1 Thank AdventurousTravel
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Very friendly service.”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My wife and I went to Calvillo's based on the reviews we read and a recommendation from our hotel in Alamaosa. We were impressed with how friendly and inviting the wait staff were and the selection of food offered on their buffet. I'm not a Mexican food aficionado so I can't compare it with other Mexican food, but their fruit, salads and alternate foods was fresh and tasty.