“Nice cabins with decks overlooking the river” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Three Rivers Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Almont
Corrales, NM
“Nice cabins with decks overlooking the river”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

When planning this vacation, I had an image of a cabin with a deck overlooking a river so I could fish and my wife and kids could hang out and read. My vision came true with this cabin. The cabin itself was nice, clean, and roomy for the 5 of us, with a decent kitchen, and a nice TV. An added bonus was we had a hot tub, grill and table on the deck. Not all cabins are adjacent to the river, and I believe these are more expensive, but I would only stay on the river. We stayed in cabins 17 and 19 (due to scheduling issues). The resort area was pretty nice. One could arrange for fly fishing, rafting, and horseback riding trips. We did all three and I would highly recommend all 3. We also fished at the pond and on the river below the cabins and caught a few fish in each. The fly shop is staffed by very friendly and helpful people, and our guide was very patient. The staff at the resort range from very friendly to not very friendly. The small restaurant serves good burgers, BBQ, and some great beers and drinks in a comfortable outdoor setting, and the servers were all great. There is a tiny grocery store with some of the basics and beer for sales. Great food is up the road 20 miles at Crested Butte, which is definitely worth the drive, and Gunnison 15 miles to the south which has many casual places, brewpubs and grocery stores. This is a great location for a family vacation. I have two suggestions: the kitchen could be better stocked with staples such as oil and salt and pepper. And the front desk and activities staff could be friendlier and more hospitable. They were a little rigid and not very welcoming and for as much as we spent, we really got no warm and fuzzies from them. But overall I recommend this resort. I would have given it a 5 easily if the staff were friendlier. Note that there are at least 3 other resorts in the area to choose from.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a cabin on the river.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank entrejoes

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Boerne, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

We love visiting this area and have found a great spot thanks to the Trip Advisor community. We typically spend time further south than here and drive up to Gunnison and Crested Butte. Three Rivers is a great location. You can be in Crested Butte or Gunnison in 15 minutes. Blue Mesa and Black Canyon are just a quick trip from your cabin and you will find it hard to compare the beauty of the Alpine Loop just an hour away.

We had a great time just relaxing in our cabin and listening to the river roll by. The teenager was able to happily, and independently, walk around the resort making friends. The little one had two playgrounds from which to choose. The restaurant on location is great for lunch or an all American dinner. My wife and I agreed, we could imagine just staying and never having to go anywhere. Next trip to the Western Slope, we will probably stay here for our entire vacation.

We stayed in cabin 60 along the Thomas and even though it was quite small we were very comfortable and would choose this location again for the four of us. The kids enjoyed the loft and the low ceiling was actually quite charming to them. We really did not have time to look into finding the "best spot" but, again, I don't think we had to for the four of us. Now if we were to think about going with a larger group, there are some very nice looking larger cabins that looked like it would be a blast.

My wife and three year old daughter took the lower raft trip and had a great time. It is a gentle ride and was fun for them both. She did not have to worry about the little one and was able to enjoy the ride. If you are out for "adventure" you probably want to try the upper raft trip which see more advanced water. The boy and I went on the half day fishing trip and were able to pull some trout into the boat thanks to our guide Dirk. All in all a great success.

Only downside? Please change out that back-cracker-of-a-mattress in the main bedroom!

Room Tip: Maybe get a higher number cabin than 60. They are more shaded, although the one to the far left of...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank thickoozymud
Eaton, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

We recently went to Gunnison to attend my son's graduation from Western State. We had 3 couples and a 15 year old and stayed in Cabin #27. It had 2 bedrooms, a futon in the living room, and a short, reclining couch. It was a little tight, but it worked fine for us since we didn't stay in the room for long. It was a little odd that there wasn't a sink in the bathroom, only in the bedrooms, but it was clean and comfortable. There are a lot of cabins close by, but we found it very quiet.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KKB52
Seguin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here in late April which is their off-season. There was plenty to do and see. Unfortunately a lot of the Forest Service roads and trails are closed at this time but there are lots of beautiful drives around. The resort is ideally situated between Gunnison and Crested Butte, and Blue Mesa and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison are relatively easy drives. The folks in the shop and office are uniformly nice and helpful.

The fishing was a blast. I am a beginning fly fisher but I caught many brown and rainbow trout although I did not land a cuttthroat trout. The resort leases private land, and has guides to take you there or to public access land. The guide we used, John, was really excellent and taught me more about fly-fishing than anyone else has. He did not fish all day, just helped me, and provided excellent value for the modest fee.

The facilities are quite adequate and clean although not fance. We stayed in a riverside 1 bedroom with loft. I would not have wanted to be in there with more than 2 people or maybe 2 adults and a couple of kids. The lofts are not usable really by adults. Also I am 6 feet, 1 inch tall and about 200 pounds. If you are much bigger than me, I would suggest you get one of the larger cabins. The one bedrooms are pretty tight in some places.

All in all, I recommend it highly as a fishing/family resort. Just please do not hire John as a guide when you go; I want him available when I go back.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

We love Three Rivers - our kids can't wait till our next trip! The cabins are cute and comfy and the location is awesome. It's great to have your own space but still be near other people. We have stayed in one of the homes on the property and plan to stay in one of the remodeled cabins over the river this summer. We look forward to the hot tub and grill on the deck overlooking the beautiful scenery.
The property itself is gorgeous, on the river with mountains surrounding. There is a barbecue restaurant on site if you don't want to cook. The cabins and homes all have kitchens too so you can cook yourself. Or you can take the short drive to Gunnison or Crested Butte to visit their restaurants.
Three Rivers has great fishing guides and fun white water rafting too. It's a great destination for adults or families with kids. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

We stayed in one of the riverside cabins at Three Rivers Resort in September 2012. We've been visiting the Gunnison/Almont area for the past 25 years for fly fishing and general relaxation. We had been staying at another property in the years past and only started staying at Three Rivers Resot three years ago - we are so glad we found Three Rivers Resort !!! Our cabin was right on the Taylor River and very nice, clean, quiet, and well appointed. The staff at Three Rivers are all wonderful, and very friendly and helpful (Mark "Stake", Vito, Jenn). Fishing guide John B. and shop manager Lendol in the WillowFly Anglers fly shop on the premises are also excellent folks and friendly and helpful. I give Three Rivers Resort my highest recommendation - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kilgore_Trout_88
Englewood CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed in one of the remodeled cabins (#20) overlooking the Taylor River. The cabin was clean, modern and had plenty of room. The kitchen is upgraded and had everything we needed to cook dinners for two nights. The deck has a private hot tub, gas grill and table/chairs. There is a screened in porch as well. The resort and fly shop staff were great. We also used Willowfly Anglers (the fly shop on the property) to guide my husband and I for two days on the Gunnison river - the guides were professional, knowledgable and able to handle two wading fishermen with no trouble. (We are experienced fly fishermen so we have some experience with other guided trips in the past). The restaurant on the the resort was really good as well - great ribs, wine and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Choose one of the cabins overlooking the river (the remodeled ones - they are the nicest).
Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Almont
The Inn at Tomichi Village
#1 of 7 in Crested Butte
Pioneer Guest Cabins
Pioneer Guest Cabins
#1 of 15 in Crested Butte

Been to Three Rivers Resort? Share your experiences!