“Fine for intermediates on a perfect day, but watch out if the conditions change”

Aspen Mountain / Ajax
Ranked #11 of 111 things to do in Aspen
More attraction details
Owner description: Known as "the athlete's mountain," expert skiers flock to its challenging slopes.
Reviewed 16 March 2014

If the temperature drops below freezing in the late afternoon, the steep lower slopes will ice up fast, making for a very dangerous last run of the day for intermediates and some experts.

All reviews
in 28 reviews
"slopes"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Its the best, fantastic expert runs, but avoid it if you are not at least a very good intermediate. Not for beginners or less experienced intermediates. Has some nice blue runs at the top, but then to get down there is Kleenex Corner and dodging the crowds at the end of the day, Favorite expert run is International into Silver Queen with the option to drop into a bunch of double diamonds on the way. Food on the Mt. is actually very good - try Bonnies for the bratwurst/potato salad/saurerkraut for the best value.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I was a bit intimidated on my first day and found the blues a bit more steep and a bit more challenging than typical blues. I also found the skiers to be a bit more hard core and the staff not a friendly as nearby Snowmass. However, as the first day progressed, I fell in love. I spent the whole day on blue runs and found plenty to keep me interested. On the second day I did all blacks and double blacks and was extremely disappointed when the day was over. This is a more challenging mountain and not as family friendly (unless everyone in the family is a pretty good skier) as Snowmass, but it will be a "must ski" for me every time I re-visit Aspen.

Skiing with the town of Aspen in the back ground and with beautiful views of the mountains was also a benefit. And, the bar at the bottom was a great place to stop in for a drink or a bite after a great day.

1  Thank Tdiso
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Every time I eat Chinese food I promise myself never to eat it again. My last visit to Aspen about 15 years ago prompted me to promise myself never to return...but, I broke that promise just like I have with Chinese food. Anyhow the promise made 15 years ago was precipitated by our commercial flight out of Aspen airport being "bumped" by several private jets that had priority takeoff slots. So, my wife, myself and our two children missed our connection in Denver.

Thinking things at the airport may have improved, we returned. Au contraire! The airport is still a mess. Our flight from Denver was delayed and for some reason it was decided to bring the luggage by truck from Denver to Aspen. Of course, upon arrival, our luggage was not there but about 300 people were along with several hundred bags scattered all over the baggage area. Everyone was scurrying about looking at tags to find their belongings.

The only info we could get was that the truck would arrive about 9:30. So, we went back to the airport at 10PM, searched the tags, and found our luggage.

Even though the skiing was excellent, the "Chinese Food Rule" prevails: NEVER AGAIN!!