“excellent value”

Tyrolean Lodge
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 January 2011

perhaps it is better to keep hidden gems out of the eye of too many others as you don't want to be disappointed when next time all rooms are gone...
anyway let me state that we enjoyed 17 days of january winter vacation in Aspen with the lodge as our base.
the key words are value. value and value...previous years we stayed in Zermatt, Beaver Creek and also Aspen in hotels with daily rates of at least 3x the Tyrolean one- with often an added "resort supplement".
of course the more expensive hotels had more amenities and lots of staff, but we always had our disappointments: mostly the view from the room( except for Zermatt).
our room in the lodge had no view, but as you can choose the room at booking/ reservation, we know what to do next time; we will keep this secret to ourselves; anyway the view of any of the 13 rooms is not very much better, but the location of the hotel and the value are winners.

amenities totally adequate; nice kitchenette with handy appliances for a quick breakfast and refrigerator for storage; i think the batteries of the smoke detector were gone as we were not punished for our unintended cremation of bacon...

bathroom totally adequate but showed results of the battle of water with pressed wood.

beds and specially bedding could use an update; sheets were of lingerie lightness and transparency; blankets were of ancient synthetic material (plus holes) and generatated nice static fireworks in the dark of the night. we considered buying some linens and perhaps pillows at the hard -and software store at the other side of the road.

housekeeping was provided on a daily base but with limitations and persistent idiosyncrasies: second blanket was never folded but always thrown around; from 1 shelve in the bathroom our belongings were always moved to another; again and otherwise: very adequate

room interior: indeed funky but with good storage facilities; nice big map of Colorado and some interesting photos.

not many staff members seen but the very friendly gentleman who we saw most often in the reception made us feel welcome and appreciated; he was very helpful and attentive , specially when our flight out of Aspen was cancelled because of a tiny snow storm.

Tyrolean provides super lodging in Aspen and- with the saving on room rates- provides you with unexpected extra funds to spend elsewhere in this nice city; we enjoyed Pyramid- excellent 'vegetar
ian" cuisine-, Explore bookshop !!!, Pinons restaurant, the nice bakery on the other side of the street with a friendly community table for breakfast.

with the disappointing "restaurants on the mountain' we will deal in another review: Cloud nine has beautiful views but frozen duck confit (2010) and ice cold elk ossobucco with texture insipred by the recent finding of mammoth remains (2011) in Snowmass....

we will come back to the nice Tyrolean lodge and are thankful for the excellent stay. the place felt better the longer we stayed and was the main ingredient of a very warm Aspen experience.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jolles
There are newer reviews for Tyrolean Lodge

Reviewed 2 December 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Tyrolean Lodge for a 4 day ski trip. The place was great and we had lots of room to put all stuff that goes along with skiing. The decor is a bit cheese, but cute. The service was amazing. They even waited up for our arrival at 11:30pm for our check in. He even took the time to give us a map of the town and tell us about resturant, shops, night life, etc. we were in walking distance to everything in town. Although we were not in the "heart" of the city we were not far at all. We walked the whole city and didn't have any problems. I would stay here again in a heartbeat! Afterall, you are there to skiing and enjoy the town. It makes it that much better to have a nice place to stay that doesn't cost you a fortune.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I stayed here for one night in September, and I selected this establishment for two reasons, 1). it looked like a cool old out of the ordinary place, and 2). it offered the most reasonably priced accomodation in town I could find. Upon arrival I was swifly greeted by a cordial gentleman that I assumed to be the proprietor and he quickly checked me in and informed me that he was going to refund me $5 because he thought he had overcharged me for my room. Huh? OK. He then proceeded to give me a brief rundown of the lodge, my room, and all the other need to know stuff and then went outside to show me the best place to park my motorcycle. During my stay we crossed paths several times and he always offered a friendly wave or greeting, this personal interaction was a nice change of pace. The building and grounds appeared to be well cared for and although right on the main road I really didn't notice the traffic and was able to enjoy a peaceful stay. The room was very comfortable and clean, well appointed and the decor was quite interesting. If ever I should return to Aspen I will first look to the Tyrolean for my lodging, and I think you should too!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We had the opportunity to stay at the Tyrolean Lodge during a multi-family gathering in August. The Lodge was just exactly what we wanted; comfortable, family-friendly, within walking distance to EVERYTHING (parks, bakeries, shops, restaurants!) and unbelievably affordable!! The kitchenettes are remodeled and super clean, the beds comfortable and the staff as nice as can be. The Lodge is so charming and historic; it's naturally retro hip. I loved that it's not only family-owned but was hand-built by the founder himself. (You can read all about him and the history of skiing within the halls of the lodge...so cool!) This is truly a gem in downtown Aspen. We're already planning our winter stay!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We had a great stay at the Tyrolean Lodge. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Having kitchen facilities (albeit minimal) made the place even more of a deal in an otherwise very spendy town. The staff was welcoming and friendly. We had a wonderful time in Aspen, thanks in no small measure to the folks at the Tyrolean Lodge.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2010

We had a very large room with a fireplace, kitchenette and great views of the mountains. There are lovely sculptures all over the grounds with great old ski photos and posters in the hallways and the rooms. The free internet kept me in touch back home, all within 2 blocks of the downtown area. It is very quaint and very private. I loved it. I will be back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2010

Look, straight up, Aspen is an expensive place to stay. You don't really get value for money here, which is a disappointing because Aspen is an awesome place. The Tyrolean Lodge gives you a room with a comfortable bed, it's clean and you get a small kitchen with your own bathroom. The kitchen is REALLY small - just a couple of stove top burners, but we stayed a week and cooked regularly, did just fine. For 2 people it's great, for any more I'd so no way. If you want to spend your money enjoying the town and the mountains instead of on your accom, this is the place to stay. The location is perfect - middle of town with buses taking you everywhere you need all the time.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple