“El Crapo: This hotel is a joke and I am done with all Starwood Hotels”

The St. Regis Aspen Resort
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Reviewed 22 August 2011

St. Regis hotels are officially no longer 5 star hotels, (except for the one in NYC). I know that the talent pool in Aspen is filled with unmotivated ski bums, but the service was nonexistent.
Example: A friend of mine dropped a copy of his yet to be released book at the front desk. When I arrived the front desk person informed me that he took the liberty to read a few pages before he put in my room.
The valet front door area is worse than many 2 star hotels. We called down for our car and it was not ready and they required me to give them my valet number when I got down stairs. In addition no one was ever staffed at the front door to help us get in or out of the hotel with our stroller. I thought the St. Regis was supposed to be a special hotel where the service is above and beyond. The Hyatt in Santa Clara convention center crushes this place in service.
I went at noon to try out the hotel restaurant for lunch. I had to wait 10 minutes until someone came up to the front. Once seated I had a nasty Caesar salad while I listen to the manager walk around the room talking on his cell phone, while someone else vacuumed in the background. (insane)
When we checked out, the front desk did not even ask how was my stay! But I told them and all they said was "oh we are sorry and here is your $2200 bill for 4 nights:" We paid $500 an night and I have stayed in nicer rooms at the airport than this place, I literally felt like I had been robbed.
The Room. One of the grossest most outdated rooms I have ever stayed in. Stains on the bed sheets, disgusting shower. Shame on St Regis for not renovating this place 10 years ago.
St Regis made a very greedy and short sided decision to keep the hotel open while under construction. I was almost hit by 2 by 4s multiple times while getting off the elevator. The drills and bangs were literally nonstop all day long. Starwood is run by greedy wall street people who don't get that if while if you cut back on service and training you do save money, but they don't see that in the long run they are shooting yourself in the foot. Also, I forgot to mention that when I stayed at the St Regis at Dana Point for 3 days, they never cleaned my room once ( i am not making this up)
I have the Amex Starwood credit card and am I gold member 41115429173 but I only be using it to transfer miles to airports, because I am through with wasting my money at Starwood resorts. If St Regis cares at all about thier brand image, then this hotel must be renamed or sold to someone who knows how to run a 5 star hotel. I am so glad to be home.

9  Thank CDUB212121
hotel1Aspen, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Dear St. Regis Aspen Guest, please see letter from the general manager being sent under separate cover. Thank you.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

The St. Regis Aspen is a world-class hotel, yes, it's going through a current renovation. However, my husband and I recently celebrated our wedding anniversary and were put in a section of the hotel away from the construction that's not in need of renovations. After check-in we were unexpectedly brought a complimentary botte of wine to celebrate our anniversary. Additionally, the concierge and service continue to exceed guest expectations. The St. Regis is close to the middle of the action in Aspen. We were not inconvenienced as a result of the construction. It's important to note that many sections of the hotel are already completed. Also, other sections will not undergo changes, such as the spa. We had massages and enjoyed the oxygen lounge as well as the spa, which were all exceptional. One of the pleasant surprises we appreciated was the unpretentious nature of Aspen and the St. Regis.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
hotel1Aspen, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Dear St. Regis Aspen Guest,
I am so very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us as you celebrated your wedding anniversary. Knowing how important these celebrations are, I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations and make it a very memorable day for you. I certainly hope that we may welcome you back again next year (if not sooner) to help you celebrate yet another anniversary. It would be a pleasure to have you as our guests once again and I am sure you will enjoy seeing the resort once all the renovations have been completed. Thank you.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

This was our 5th summer stay here and may have been our best. The lobby has been partially renovated but improvements are subtle- a new bar area and the lobby "living room" has new furniture and a more modern fireplace. By the way, this lobby area smokes the tiny space at The Little Nell.

We stayed in a standard room with a nice west facing exposure, great view down the valley and if you stuck your head out the window you could watch the moon rise over Aspen Mountain. Although you can't stay in any of the new rooms yet, the "old" rooms are still very nice. I will actually miss the lovely aspen-leaf wallpaper that is kept in perfect condition. Bathrooms are not especially modern but still luxurious, the sink is topped with an inch-thick slab of marble and there is similar thick marble molding along the marble flooring. Fixtures are nice. St Regis uses its own brand of toiletries that are nothing special aside from the bath soap, I would prefer they get a top independent brand like other luxury properties. Maid service is exceptional.

I really appreciated the conceirge service this time. By now, Chef Concierge Stephanie has gotten to know us and I feel that she is really invested in providing personal, top service. When a raft trip didn't meet our expectations she went out of her way to arrange a differnt one and get us a credit towards it. Restaurant reservations were all nicely handled and she recommended Rustique as an alternative to Cache-Cache (I steered clear of that due to poor reviews on Tripadvisor) and it was phenomenal. Front desk and valet service is friendly and accomodating, either can give you free water bottles. They shuttle you around in Mercedes SUVs which are really nice if you don't feel like walking to dinner or the Music Tent. Wifi in your room is now free, perhaps this is the start of a welcome trend in top properties of not charging when you're already paying a fortune for your room.

The St Regis makes their own bread and pastries, their croissants are the best in town and we were just in Europe last month. The coffee is very good, too.

They had sent an e-mail explaining the pool would be closed. The ARC in Highlands is fine, there is a water-slide and an outdoor area to lay in the sun and read. My daughter liked it. There is also a climbing wall that she liked.

You can't beat the location and I think the friendly, easygoing, attentive staff strike the perfect tone. Looking forward to returning after renovation.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
hotel1Aspen, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Dear St. Regis Aspen Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your most recent stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. We appreciate the fact that you are a repeat guest and, while we are under renovation, I am happy to hear that this stay may have been your best one yet and that you were very pleased with the service.

You mention the fact that our concierge has gotten to know you by now and our staff also enjoy seeing our guests who return year after year as well as it gives them an opportunity to get to know them better.

We value and appreciate your business very much and we look forward to welcoming you back after the renovation as well.

Reviewed 10 August 2011

We have stayed at the St Regis in Aspen before. The location is great within walking distance to anything in town and right by the ski lift. However,
The hotel is still under renovation with no pool or hot tub,. They will drive you to the indoor crazy crowded rec center in the highlands 15 minutes each way away. But it is not the same as stepping out to your private pool or soaking in the hot tub a minute from your room
Our room had a mountain view overlooking the construction!
lots of guest rooms being renovated so the hotel was not crowded. Nearly Empty bar, desolate restaurant still oddly in the very back of the hotel. I never saw anyone there.
Mismatched decor in the lobby areas. Some areas renovated and some not.
Still has Great service from lots of friendly staff
I would Wait until its renovated and try it in December or January.
Not up to St Regis standards right now.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Dear St. Regis Aspen Guest, thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay with the renovations that were taking place and that the stay did not exceed your expectations. Please know that we are doing our utmost to minimize the impact on our guests. Having said that, I am pleased to hear that you did enjoy the service you received from our staff.

As you stated, there are some areas that have been renovated and others that have yet to be done. Please keep in mind that some of the renovations you saw may not be the final product as there could be changes or additions made to them.

All of us at The St. Regis Aspen are very excited about the ongoing renovations and to see the progress that is being made. I hope that we may welcome you back in the future when it is completed as I believe you will be very pleased with the transformation. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

Was given this stay when my last business trip was less than exceptional. Not only did the St Regis give us the free stay, they upgraded us to a suite and pampered us. Management was excellent and took care of any issues we had with room service and noise from other guests. The lounge and pools are a great way to wind down an evening. Suites come with a Butler if you need one.

Room Tip: Corner Suites are spacious and quiet!
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear St. Regis Aspen Guest, on behalf of the entire staff at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, I would like to thank you for your comments. I am very pleased to learn that your return trip to Aspen was a great deal more enjoyable than your previous experience. Our extensive renovations are still ongoing, but I certainly hope we may welcome you back again once they are completed so that you may experience all of the wonderful changes that are taking place at the St. Regis Aspen.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Great location. The lobby remodel is beautiful. Service was disappointing for various reasons. But, the checkout crew was very nice. Rooms very average for the price.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank SusieNYC03

Dear St. Regis Aspen Guest, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. While I am pleased to hear that you liked the location of the resort and the remodel of the lobby, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with some aspects of service and that your room was not up to par. We would certainly welcome any additional feedback you may have via a phone call or e-mail to the executive offices. As you may or may not know, our extensive renovation is still ongoing but I hope that we may welcome you back again in the future when it has been completed as I believe you will be very pleased with the rooms and other areas of the resort that were not completed upon your visit.

Reviewed 19 July 2011

I have been staying at this property since it was a Ritz Carlton.They are doing a extensive remodel.It looks great.Even during the renovation the service was outstanding.They went above and beyond to make us and our 2 golden retrievers feel welcome.We will continue to stay at this fantastic resort.The management and employees are all very friendly.They continue to get better every year.We cant wait to see the finished product.I would recommend this hotel to anyone.The food serice was outstanding.We attended the Sunday brunch as well as the Tuesday night BBQ.I would recommend both. The spa is one of the best in the world. This is a great place to stay.The location is great.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank andrewsteinberg
hotel1Aspen, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Dear Valued St. Regis Aspen Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay, the staff and our service. I am glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy our Sunday Brunch and the Tuesday BBQ, both of which have become very popular dining options. We are very excited about the renovations as well and look forward to the day when the final touches are put into place. We look forward to your return in the near future, along with your pooches, and appreciate your loyalty and continued business at the St. Regis Aspen Resort.