“Flawless Service- except for breakfast!”

The St. Regis Aspen Resort
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Aspen
Phoenix
“Flawless Service- except for breakfast!”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Had pretty much a perfect stay this summer at the St Regis. The renovation has left the property feeling fresh and luxurious, and the location is just great for walking to Wagner park and all the restaurants. The new bathrooms are really nice and I didn't want to get out from under the rain showerhead. But what sets this place apart is the really wonderful service. We never even stay a full week but every summer when we return we are greeted by name, and the staff seems genuinely happy to see us. They chat with my daughter and just really make us feel welcome. There is great consistency in service from the concierge to the front drive staff. This year I have to say pickups and drop-offs were incredibly speedy, we never had need of our car after we arrived since the valet staff will drive you around in the various house cars (Suburbans, Mercedes SUV, etc). I think a very good sign of a well run business is low staff turnover, and I can now recognize almost every employee. This year we got a free mango smoothie while sitting at the pool, it was really good. The pool remains a very relaxing spot under the aspen trees. Now to finish with the high and low spot. The high has to be the fantastic restaurant on-property, Chefs Club, it may not be the place "to be seen" but it is definitely the place to eat if you care most about the food. I reviewed this separately for those interested. The low is the breakfast restaurant. This place used to have great pastries but they are pretty bad now. Pancakes were bad, those also used to be pretty good. And perplexingly, service was hindered by too many staff members. It was hard for them to know what role they had, so they're almost tripping over each other but you are somehow getting slow and disorganized service. If they can work that out there would be no weakness to this place. A manager did come over and adjust my bill and apologize, I will say this made me feel a lot better, really everyone took great care of me. Overall I can't wait to come back next year.

Room Tip: I've gotten a west facing room a couple of times, and I love watching the sun set down the valle...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JamesR36
StRegisAspenResort, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Valued St. Regis Guest,

We so appreciate you spending your recent Aspen vacation at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. We are pleased to hear that you appreciated all of the touches of our newly renovated resort and some of our guest offerings like complimentary car service within the local area and the services provided by our concierge team and pool staff. I am sorry to hear that your experiences at breakfast did not meet your expectations of our resort. We take your feedback very seriously and will review to make sure we address your concerns.

We are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The St. Regis Aspen Resort again in the future so that we can fully meet all of your expectations and exceed them.

H. Steenge-Hart, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Gorgeously designed, friendly staff, overall a nice stay. A few things that kept it from being perfect --

First, we arrived early and was told that the room was being cleaned but that it would be ready shortly. No problem, we went to wait in the beautiful outdoor area, and the pool guy brought us free smoothies, which was a classy touch. After about an hour we decided to move to the lobby. We waited some more and inquired about the room. A few minutes more, we were told. OK, I went to the lobby shop and bought some things. Waited some more, had some ice tea in the lobby. Finally, after about 1 hour 40 minutes, our room was ready. This was at 3:40pm, and I understand check-in is at 4pm, so I can't really complain, but had we known upfront it would take this long we would have went for a walk around town or at least changed into clothes more appropriate for the weather.

Second, we asked for car service at 4pm to go someplace and at about 3:45 let them know that we couldn't quite be ready at that time and they said no problem. At 4:10 when we went to the car attendants and checked in for our ride. One guy goes to get the car, but then the other guy proceeds to tell us that we were supposed to be there at 4pm. Well, geeeez sorry! I thought we'd OK'd it and since the one guy went to get the car already, I don't see why we were being berated for being late. But whatever, maybe it was a miscommunication.

Lastly -- we ordered room service coffee twice and both times it took at least 1/2 hr. But then we discovered there's complimentary coffee service in the lobby every morning so it was much easier to just run downstairs.

Overall a very nice stay, beautiful property with some very nice staff. They do get so many things right that it seems picky to note the small things, but the level at which they are operating demands near-perfection.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
StRegisAspenResort, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Valued St. Regis Aspen Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our recent renovation & bespoke service.

Unfortunately, I am dismayed to read of your observations regarding your delay at check-in, miscommunication with the front drive staff, and wait times for private dining. This type of service does not meet our standards, and for that I apologize. We sincerely hope that we may have the chance to host you once again in the future where you have our commitment for a more enjoyable experience.

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any further questions or concerns. We look forward to welcoming you to the resort again in the future.

Kind regards,
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Aspen is spectacular and the St.Regis is an amazing place to enjoy all the amenities this beautiful community has to offer. The service staff is so friendly and welcoming - especially the Filipino culinary and hospitality interns. Some of the best service we have enjoyed anywhere in the world. Best to Danika, Janine, Bela, Xyra, Sherma, Roberto, Cheska and Bettina - we feel like they are all great friends!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank alansalazar1995
StRegisAspenResort, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear Valued St. Regis Aspen Guest,

We are so pleased you were able to spend your Aspen vacation at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. I am very pleased you found your overall experience with us to be inviting and that you received uncompromising service from so many members of our staff.

I do hope that you return to Aspen again and that we may welcome you back to the resort again in the future. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any further concerns or questions.

Basalt, Colorado
Reviewed 8 July 2013

July 4th weekend my finance and I stayed at the St. Regis in Aspen. The rooms are beautiful. Even with the it being a holiday weekend, the staff was incredible. The concierge desk made us feel like we were the only guests! I only wish we could have stayed longer!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim M
StRegisAspenResort, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear St. Regis Aspen Guest,

We are very pleased that you had the opportunity to stay with us at The St. Regis Aspen Resort for your July 4th Vacation to beautiful Aspen, CO. We sincerely appreciate your elegant commendation of our Resort and the uncompromising service you received from our concierge team. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to the resort again on your next vacation.

Kindest Regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 July 2013

the place is lovely. the concierge is excellent. friendly, quick, and deeply informed, armed with maps, trail options, and even a small card with directions to nearest running trails. $15/day internet is a bit amateurish for a pricey hotel tho.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bloke99
StRegisAspenResort, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Dear Valued St. Regis Aspen Guest,

We are so pleased you were able to spend your recent vacation to Aspen at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. I am very pleased you found your overall experience with us and our concierge team to be inviting. However, I am dismayed to read about your observations regarding our internet service. We recently overhauled our entire internet system to make connections faster and more reliable for our guests, and continually strive to provide the best service that we can.

I do hope that we may welcome you back to the resort again in the future. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any further concerns or questions.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Our annual family trip to southern Colorado was canceled due to the fires, but we were able to make last minute reservations at the St Regis. The hotel is beautiful and the location is perfect. Our young children had a great a stay and loved hanging around the hotel as much as going out. The concierges were very helpful and every suggestion they provided was great. The staff were friendly and always knew our names.
If friendly staff was the only factor, I would have given the hotel an excellent rating. Unfortunately, the actual service provided was at times horrible. The first few times, I put it off to being a busy time of year, but as it continued to happen again and again, it became very frustrating. Some examples of this:
I was at the pool with my kids and we ordered lunch poolside. We placed our order around 12-12:15 of two hamburgers and a salad. At 1, I asked how much longer until the food would be ready, because several other groups that ordered at the same time had received the orders quickly. The answer was 10 more minutes. 15 minutes later when I asked again, the answer was 10 more minutes. When we received our order at 1:30, the hamburgers had cheese, even though we specifically asked for no cheese, and the salad was missing three ingredients. I told my kids to just accept it, since the order had taken so long and we scrapped the cheese off the burgers. Unfortunately, the hamburgers were raw in the middle, so I couldn't let the kids eat them. A manager came by, apologized and said she would not charge us for the meal and get new hamburgers out right away. They did get the hamburgers out quickly, and while rare, with enough ketchup, the kids ate them. When we were leaving the pool, the waiter handed us the bill and when I mentioned what the manager had said, he did not seem to believe me. The original manager was nowhere to be found, so we had to wait another 10 minutes until a second manager came by and voided the check.
The breakfast buffet was very good, but at time, any requests took ages to be fulfilled. I arrived late one morning and everyone else had already started eating. Since I was the only one that drank regular coffee, there was none on the table yet. I had to ask 4 times, to 3 different people and wait 20 minutes before I finally received my coffee.
There were three times when we were sitting in the lounge or patio and the waiter either never came by to take our drink orders or came by after more than 30 minutes. It was never that busy to justify being overlooked for so long.
These were the most egregious examples, but everyday for a week, there was at least one instance of poor service.
I hate giving the hotel such a low rating because it is a beautiful place with very friendly staff, but the service was so poor so many times that I can't give it a higher rating.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
StRegisAspenResort, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Valued St. Regis Aspen Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments and observations regarding your stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. While it sounds as though you were able to enjoy the beauty of Aspen and our recent renovation, I would like to express regret for the shortcomings and difficulties you experienced with regards to the service you received from certain members of the staff. I am sorry that you were not provided with exemplary service at the Shadow Mountain Lounge and Splash Pool Bar. I would also like to offer my apologies for the fact that you were not able to fully relax during your stay given the fact that you had these service reoccurrences. This certainly does not meet our standards, nor your expectations, and for that I am truly sorry.

We sincerely appreciate online reviews as they highlight areas in need of enhancement here at the Resort and your feedback allows us to make proper improvements for the future. Thank you for bringing to my attention the frustrations you encountered with service at our dining outlets. We will address all of these issues with our staff so that we may continue to grow as a team and as a luxury Resort. I am pleased to hear that you received uncompromising service from our concierge team and that your children were able to enjoy their time at the Resort.

I do hope that the next time you travel to Aspen that you will consider staying with us once again. You have our commitment for a more enjoyable stay in the future. Please do not hesitate to reach out to my office if there is anything that I may assist you with.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Really enjoyed our visit to the St. Regis Aspen for cocktails after a good hiking day. We received excellent service (as expected from St. Regis). Lawrence did an excellent job of sabering a nice bottle of champagne. We enjoyed our après-hiking so much, that we returned the following day for Round 2. This time we were showered with exceptional service from Bryan, Michelle and Kyle. In fact, since we missed a brewery tour earlier in the weekend, St. Regis brought the tour to us, lining up a sampling of 6 local brews for us. It was spectacular and extremely thoughtful.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear St. Regis Aspen Guest,

We are very pleased that you had the opportunity to relax at The St. Regis Aspen after a long day of hiking in beautiful Aspen. We enjoyed reading your kind recommendation of our establishment and the bespoke service that you received in our Lounge. Of course, we are dismayed your experience had to come to an end, but we would love to have you here anytime as our guest; so please come visit with us again.

Kindest Regards,