“Like a curate's egg, some parts are very good”

The St. Regis Aspen Resort
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This was really a mixed bag and as a result a little hard to have a single rating do justice to our experience. Let me start with first impressions and the generally excellent start to the stay...

The hotel is conveniently located at the base of Aspen Mountain and a few minutes from the airport by complimentary shuttle. The meet and greet service was flawless and the property is beautiful - check in was painless and our room was easily accessible on the third floor. We had left our reservation quite late, so we had the last available room which was generally fine (comfortable furnishings and well-appointed). The cupboard space was a little tight for two people who are there for winter activities and had bulky coats and accessories to store. our view was quite pleasant.

Problems started when my wife requested a butler to unpack our bags (there is a butler button on the phone and the St Regis advertises that facility as part of their distinguishing Signature Service) and was told that that was reserved for suite guests only. They eventually relented after my wife spoke to somebody in management, but it was annoying to have to jump through hoops. And therein lay the problems that unfolded later.

The staff are generally extremely nice and helpful - the sunny temperament I have seen from Filipino and Balinese in Asia (from where many of them hail) - and do try to solve issues that arise. The supervising staff is likewise attentive to our needs. HOWEVER - there seems to be a disconnect somewhere, as if there is no integration at all. The result is random lapses in service, for example:

- coffee at breakfast in the restaurant often took 20 minutes or more to arrive (not espresso or lattes but black coffee from a thermos) - one often had to ask 4-5 times.
- the first night at dinner two identical orders for a main dish for our party of seven came more than 10 minutes apart and were markedly different in appearance and taste
- the cook at the eggs station started making me my omelet and halfway through responded to a guest's request for more jam by disappearing into the kitchen leaving my dish on the stove. Luckily I asked another chef to take it off and avoided a burnt breakfast or worse. The same cook (or maybe another) literally added the cheese to my omelet as he put it on my plate so it wasn't really part of the dish.
- our room turndown service was random, We had twin beds in our room and sometimes both beds were turned down, sometimes only one. Once a window was left open (and the room was freezing as a result). Once they cleaned up the room but left a tray from room service with the remains of breakfast on the desk.
- a caffe latte once arrived cold and once with no coffee in it. The check always took a long time coming.
- our bags and packages that had been Fedexed were not brought to our room until hours after they had arrived.

Some of the staff however did a bang-up job. The butler/maid who packed our bags (Candy) was excellent and did a wonderful job. The shuttle drivers were very helpful in getting us around and running errands whenever their schedule allowed, as did those given specific instructions. The concierge found us hard-to get reservations last minute during the holiday crush and suggested excellent alternatives when she could not. The ski shop across the road (and accessible from the hotel via a walkway and elevator) was tremendous with knowledgeable staff and offer a discount and valet services to hotel guests.

As for the property itself and the public spaces, they are generally very good with a few shortcomings. The lobby lounge (a little too small for the number of guests) is separated from the main entrance by a partial wall with a fireplace on both sides. Every time both sets of doors are opened (quite common), a gust of cold air blows into the room and sending chills down people. The seating area is always fought over int he afternoon after skiing and one would have thought the designers would have known that people tend to congregate in these place at ski resorts. It seems people planned for average occupancy rather than peak...

My second-to-last negative comment is that many hotel guests walk through the lobby in their bathrobes to access the spa instead of taking the elevator directly to the basement level and walking across. I find it quite distasteful to see this (and uncomfortable to have to do this) especially as the direct route is not option when the lower level is used for a function and security make you go back up and across the lobby. Finally - while I realize it was the holiday season - there are a large number of guests with children who seemed to be running amok and causing a commotion. Many were quite ill-behaved, apparently neglected by their parents who just looked on. While kids int he U.S. are given more "freedom" in this respect, there need to be some basic standards. Finally, many guests and their children seemed to run around in what looked like bed clothes in the public areas. In a couple of instances quite pleasant people dressed like they were going to the "Redneck Riviera", dressed in cut-off shorts and wife-beaters. again - i'm not expecting the sartorial standards of Europe and Japan, but this is not a beach bungalow.

Ending on a high note, the Remede spa is excellent. Large jacuzzis, steamroom, waterfall features and great massages. My only complaint was going to be that they charge $50 for a visit if no treatment is involved, but then thought better of it as it would mean the very people I was escaping int he lobby would lounge around there all day if that were not the case (who doesn't like a free lunch).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
StRegisAspen, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Valued St. Regis Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Resort. We are pleased to hear that you found our location within Aspen to be ideal, that you were able to enjoy our newly renovated guestrooms and that your overall experience at our spa was pleasant.

We are sorry to hear, however, that your experience with our housekeeping department was less than what you expected during your stay and we sincerely apologize that the service you received from our dining venues was below par. Please know that we take all comments posted very seriously and appreciate the feedback as it helps us maintain and improve our service at the Resort.

We thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. If there is anything we may do to assist you further, please reach out to my office at info@stregisaspen.com. I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The St. Regis Aspen Resort again in the future.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Aspen Resort

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I love this hotel so much that you get welcome feeling from all of the hotel staff.
If you want to relax by yourself to get excellent food and superb spa treatment, I highly recommend this hotel.
You never get that awkward feeling sitting in the dining room or by the pool alone most of the time solo traveler faces. Try their hamburger that makes your return trip to this hotel right away!!
You will appreciate this small size resort from the moment you are picked up at the airpot to check out.
Aspen is beautiful classy town with pride attracts you so many ways.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
StRegisAspen, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Valued St. Regis Aspen Guest,

I would sincerely like to thank you for taking the time to post such charming comments regarding your summer stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. I am overwhelmed by your beautiful recommendation of our property and our bespoke service. It is indeed individuals such as you who make our resort truly feel like a home. We look forward to welcoming you to the resort again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My family visited Aspen for the Christmas 2013 winter vacation. The St. Regis was wonderful accommodations and very attentive staff. The location was superb in that a rental car was not needed due to being closely located to the municipal and ski bus lines. Also, very easy to get around by foot and walking to any destination is never more than five minutes. Staff in their restaurant, Trecento Quindini, including Virginia Kern, Derek, and Felipe, always provided exceptional service. Its a high end hotel and the staff and accommodations are in line with the price. We would not hesitate to stay again for another skiing adventure next year. Great memories.

Ps, the onsite ski shop, Aspen Sports, could not be more convenient. Just see Mr. Billy Bleeker; he and his staff will help you with any ski/snowboard necessity and its all right there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BluDogg555

Dear Valued St. Regis Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to share your comments and experiences from your recent family, Christmas vacation at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. It is such a pleasure to have read your positive feedback. I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy the accommodations, our new restaurant, Trecento Quindici Decano and Aspen Sports while here at the Resort.

I sincerely hope that when you return to Aspen you will consider staying with us once again. It was a pleasure having you as our guests.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My 13 year old son and I returned to the St. Regis the first week of January, 2014. We stayed at the St. Regis last year and had such a great experience we decided to come back. The location is right at the base of Aspen mountain and across the street from the bus that takes you to Highlands, Snowmass, and Buttermilk. Once again, we had exceptional service. We thoroughly enjoyed the treat of staying at this high end resort right in the heart of Aspen. The front desk staff was friendly, helpful, and thoughtful about their recommendations for what my son would enjoy. They recommended smores by the fire when we checked in which was a great way to start our getaway. The rooms are warmly decorated and the beds are very comfortable with a fuzzy blanket at the foot of the bed to warm your toes when it is cold outside. The bathroom has a huge tub that was a great place to soak my tired muscles after a great powder day. I had a cappuccino by the lobby fire in the morning and enjoyed the great view through the two story windows that looked up at Aspen mountain while reading my complimentary Wall Street Journal and New York Times. Sometimes the staff at higher end hotels can be a bit haughty, however, I was incredibly surprised at how the staff at the St. Regis are friendly while at the same time very attentive. I give this hotel my highest recommendation.

1  Thank KCB0930
StRegisAspen, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Valued St. Regis Guest,

I so appreciate you spending your recent Aspen vacation with your son at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. We are pleased to hear that you appreciated all of the touches of our newly renovated resort and some of our new guest offerings like the Family Traditions program. We are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The St. Regis Aspen Resort again in the future!

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Just stayed at at regis aspen ~ such a major disappointment. First of all walked in and needed to use rest room. It literally smelled like a sewer. Toilets were dirty and overflowing. No lotion or soap bottles or towels like a five star resort provides. Over flowing trash, toilets and smell was overwhelmingly disgusting.
Dining in the italian restaurant was the worst food I had in aspen. They said the chef was from Italy. I say impossible, food was not italian and cheaply prepared. Frito Misto tasted like shake and bake. Brussel sprouts were not cooked and pasta was over cooked and tasteless as well as not homemade. I guess it makes sense the place was empty when every other restaurant over the holidays was packed this place is empty for a reason. McDonalds accross the street is a MUCH better option in retrospect. Do not plan a meal, or stay here. Unless you like the smell of sewers.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank SparkleMermaid

Dear Valued St. Regis Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. Unfortunately, I am troubled to read of your observations regarding the state of our restrooms at the time of your visit and the allure of the food from our new restaurant. This type of service certainly does not meet our standards, and for that I apologize. I hope that we may have the chance to welcome you once again in the future where you have our commitment for a more enjoyable experience.

Please reach out to me at info@stregisaspen.com if there is anything that I may do to further assist with this matter.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Checked in on New Year's Day for 5 days.
Front desk staff was not up to Par. Less than happy to see us check in.
Amenities have gone way down. Choice of 2 free breakfasts or a visit to use the hot tub inside the spa, which by the way is lukewarm, not hot. ( your better off walking outside in the snow and using the outdoor hot tub)
Tried to enjoy hot chocolate and dessert in the lobby by the fire one evening, however it took the waiter over half an hour to bring one tray of s'mores, and the hot chocolate. He also appeared to not understand English, at least while waiting on us. Refills were equally as slow.
Housekeeping staff pretend to not understand English.
Housekeeping had to be called, literally, from the base of the mountain in between ski runs to ask to service our room, not one but multiple days, multiple times.
Service was less than adequate once they serviced the room. Wash cloths must be at a premium, since only 2 were left in the room each day. We had to ask for towels, etc... to be brought up multiple days. Even after hotel mgr., put in writing a request to housekeeping to service room each day at 10:00 am, it still did not happen.
Too many requests to make this stay pleasant.
Oh BTW! Forget the oxygen lounge in the spa, there is no time limit on this room with 5 beds, one of which was out of service the entire stay, so once a guest lies down on one of these twin beds attached to an oxygen tank, they may stay in the room and sleep for hours while you wait for a bed to open up, all the while being ignored while you wait in the waiting area. (skip it)

Hotel lobby is nice with fireplace. Room was nice once it was cleaned, but took too much effort to get it there.
All in all, just a place in Aspen to drop your bags and then just ski all day. Don't plan on spending time in the hotel, or your room... And whatever you do, try to avoid the staff at all cost. They really don't appear to be happy to be in the hospitality business.

Room Tip: Try the other hotels in the area. They all cost about the same anyway.
2  Thank Spokesmodel

Dear Valued St. Regis Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your New Year’s stay at the Resort. We are pleased to hear that your overall experience with our guestrooms and lobby area were pleasant and that you enjoyed our recently renovation. We are sorry to hear, however, that your experience with our housekeeping services was less than what you expected during your stay and we sincerely apologize that the service you received from our dining staff was below par. Please know that we take all comments posted very seriously and sincerely appreciate the feedback as it is of the utmost importance to us to help in maintaining and improving our standards. We thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. If there is anything we may assist you with further, please feel free to reach out to my office at info@stregisaspen.com.

We do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The St. Regis Aspen Resort again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is without a question the best hotel experience I've had in Aspen and perhaps ever. The accommodations are beautiful and luxurious but most importantly the service is truly world-class. The staff is wonderfully attentive and knowledgeable with keen attention to detail. I've stayed in many world renowned properties and can confidently say that this ranks among the best experiences one can ask for.

-Oliver Jaderko

1  Thank Oliver J

Dear Valued St. Regis Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments about your recent vacation at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. It is always wonderful to hear that our guests have enjoyed themselves during their time with us. I am so glad to hear you received uncompromising service from so many members of our staff!

Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to Aspen in the future!