“Les Miserables at Theatre Aspen”

Theatre Aspen Hurst Theatre
Ranked #30 of 101 things to do in Aspen
More attraction details
Owner description: Theatre Aspen is a professional theatre, nestled in the newly renovated Rio Grande Park. Broadway actors and local artists combine talents to offer first-rate productions in a summer repertory fashion. Musicals, plays and family entertainment are all featured...
Snowmass Village, Colorado
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Les Miserables at Theatre Aspen”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Saw Les Mis last night at Theatre Aspen. My sister was visiting from California, and we were looking for local experience. The Hurst Theater is an intimate venue, small stage, in a tent, with tiered seating, and not a bad seat in the house (we were in second row a little off center). The minimalist staging brought characters to the forefront, and the staging is not limited just to "the stage", performers use the aisles as well. The sets and especially the lighting were creative and inspired. My favorites for their outstanding performances were Javert (Aloysius Gigl), Jean Valjean (Mike Eldred), Mme. Thenardier, (an exceptionally rowdy performance by Nikki Boxer) and Franz Alderfer (the bishop and multiple ensemble characters). Beth Malone's (Fantine) brief appearances were exceptional. If you are in Aspen this summer, this is a treat not to be missed.

Pittsburgh
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“New York quality in Aspen”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Saw opening night of Charlie Brown. Fantastic cast with great credentials. The whole experience was quality from the professional choreography to the front of house experience. Aspen is fortunate to be ale to attract top quality talent. If musical theater sounds relaxing after a long day of physical activities this is the place to go. The grounds are spectacular.

Janesville, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Les Mis was unbelievable!”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Theatre Aspen's production of Les Mis was fantastic! I have seen the production numerous times, and this was by far the best. The venue is unique and I enjoyed being so close to the action and music. The tent was a little hot and stuffy the night we were there, but by the end of the evening things had cooled off considerably. If other productions are as wonderful as the one we saw, I would certainly recommend and would love to return!

Aspen, Colorado
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Les Miserables”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This out door tented theatre in Aspen has always put on 3 plays a year. In years past talented locals came together to entertain. It has been years since I've been back and found a level of professionalism not seen in the past. Huge talent. Long but that's just how that play is.

Visited June 2013
Manitoba, Canada
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Les Miz sent chills down my spine!”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We bought tickets for Les Miz not knowing what to expect. For a summer production in a venue with 190 seats, I expected a cut above a high school production, despite a significant ticket price. To my absolute amazement, this show was first class, exceeding all expectations.

Theatre Aspen is celebrating its 30th anniversary and has a new home. Though it is a seasonal venue which doesn't yet have proper bathrooms, it's in a fairy tale-like setting. Formerly a dump, the area is now boasts an exquisite flowered rock pond.

The production featured a Broadway calibre cast (yes some were part of the original cast). Even the ensemble had astonishing voices. The sets and costumes were wonderful while it was technically perfect for sound and lighting. But to see this is a venue where you could literally reach out and touch the cast provided an unparalleled intimacy. Without a doubt I enjoyed this more than the movie or a travelling production. Some moments were absolutely magical. It was a 2 hr and 45 min production that I didn't want to end. I found myself humming several tunes all the way home and am not sure I'll be able to fall asleep tonight. How they can put on a show of this quality for a 2 week run is a miracle. I'm just glad that I had the opportunity to experience it. I can only guess that their other 3 summer productions will be as impressive.

Visited June 2013