“Great place to take children”

Aspen Center for Environmental Studies
Ranked #21 of 102 things to do in Aspen
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hallam Lake Nature Preserve, a wild place in the heart of Aspen, features an Environmental Learning Center, resident birds of prey, an indoor trout stream, a nature trail loop, bird watching, a naturalist on site, and programs all year round. Free to visit!
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Great place to take children”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

ACES is just north of downtown Aspen so if you are staying in the city it's best to walk there as parking is limited. It's a great place for kids as there is a golden eagle and great horned owl to view as well as nice walking paths around the small lake on the property. While admission is free, make a donation so the center can continue its education efforts.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Al O

Greendale, Wisconsin
“Great snowshoeing opportunities in Aspen”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Since I gave up downhill skiing a few decades ago, I look for hiking, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing opportunities whenever I'm on a winter vacation. ACES offers snowshoeing opportunities on Aspen Mountain, at Snowmass, and in Ashcroft. All of these were headed by brilliant, thoughtful, passionate about the environment, energetic guides. They took me into areas that I never would have wandered had I done this alone. Because being immersed in the beauty of the mountains was the main focus of the event, the walk varied from being moderately strenuous to easy. A nice balance was maintained all along the various routes. The Ashcroft route took us to a lovely restaurant, the Pine Creek Cookhouse, where we enjoyed a lovely lunch in a beautiful setting. While skiing offers the thrill of the ride, these events offer a much more soulful experience. A much different kind of adventure.

Visited March 2014
Newcastle, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful location!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We have been coming to Aspen for 4 years and this was our first visit to ACES, and I wish we had found it earlier. We have 2 children aged 6 and 8, and we are always looking for affordable activities on our days away from skiing. ACES is free, although I encourage you to leave a donation, and is such a valuable experience. The staff are friendly and willing to answer any questions you have. As visitors from Australia it was great for our children to see animals up close that we don't have at home e.g. bears, beavers & mountain lions (not living of course!) Hallam Lake is amazing and we loved walking the trails with our binoculars and seeing what other wildlife we could find, plus our photo's from this experience are just beautiful. Thanks ACES and all the staff for providing a free, educational experience that the whole family enjoyed. Hope to see you next year!

Visited March 2014
Carbondale, Pennsylvania
“Snowshoe”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is a must, be sure to dress warm and wear boots, Your camera will capture beauty at 13,000 ft and your guide is very informed, You will be pleased with this outing .

Visited December 2013
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“An interesting visit”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

If I had this to do over again I would have visited here first. Has a good explanation of some of the geographic and natural sites. Kind of hidden. Once again I would recommend getting a walking tour book or a good pamphlet. We finally wised up and were given a good pamphlet at our accomodations at the St. Moritz, where they were very helpful.

Visited August 2013