“Not bad for Mountain Mexican”
Review of La Palapa - CLOSED

La Palapa
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Let me preface this by admitting I am a Mexican food snob as I live an area with really good Mexican food.

The Margaritas were okay, the food was better and not bad for mountain Mexican. It is overpriced but I was in Aspen, so I figured it would be.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Ate a La Palapa based mostly on the Tripadvisor reviews. We're always looking for a place to eat in Aspen that wouldn't completely cripple our retirement savings. La Palapa was good enough, but no more than that, with one exception - the jalapeno poppers, which were stuffed with shrimp, breaded and deep fried and were out of this world. It might have been worth the visit just for those.

The margaritas had been raved about by one of the staff in a store we stopped at. She must have never had one anywhere else because ours were weak and too sweet. We had seafood which was fresh and well prepared but, again, nothing special. Same for the ambiance and waitstaff, good enough but nothing special. So far in my trips to Aspen I would have to say skip the Mexican. We haven't found a really good Mexican restaurant yet, with the exception of the rather esoteric Zocalito, which we loved and some others haven't.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

This is definitely the best Mexican in Aspen. It has "coastal" Mexican cuisine with many seafood dishes in addition to meat.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Food was amazing, too! Try the chile relleno especial. They don't have a kids menu, but the happy hour mini tacos were sufficient and our waitress had the kitchen make a smaller quesadilla for our other child. Be careful when drinking at this elevation, one margarita (only $5 at happy hour) and I was done!

1  Thank Whitney M
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Sat outside and enjoyed the beautiful weather, shrimp ceviche and margaritas. The shrimp ceviche tasted just like it does when traveling in Mexico so I was pleasantly surprised. We also had a cheese dip that was just ok, but the shrimp ceviche was so amazing!