“Terrible!”
Review of Pinons Restaurant

Pinons Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Pinons Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 165 Restaurants in Aspen
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My partner and I stayed in Aspen for a couple of nights and ate at Pinons on our first evening. We had an 8:15pm reservation on a Monday. The restaurant was recommended to us by a friend, but the experience from start to finish can only be described as terrible!

When we arrived there was no welcome and we waited several minutes in a small entrance way to be acknowledged.

The dining space is dark and uninspiring. Most diners employed cell flash lights to read the menu.

The service was very impersonal. The waiting staff weren't inefficient, but you were constantly aware of where they were. They moved an empty chair at our table a number of times to serve the neighboring table. There seemed almost to be too many wait staff (noticeably all male).

The menu appeared to be a good mix of meat and fish dishes. However, I ordered chicken which they were all out of! As a second choice I had the beef filet which was very disappointing - over-cooked and tasteless. When I told the waiter he didn't seem too surprised at my complaint and offered straight away to comp it. My partner had the veal which was undercooked.

The wine list is extensive with considerable mark-ups on the mid range ($80-$200) wines. The wine we chose (although overpriced), and the fresh bread (two of the three different breads were tasty), were the best part of our meal. The sommelier was as disinterested in us as the other wait staff apart from when it came to overfilling my partner's glass.

You live and learn. Fine dining this is certainly not! There are lots of restaurants in Aspen so I would definitely not choose this one.

3  Thank Sophie H

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Being the 4th generation of my family that has lived in Aspen, I have seen and ate at many restaurants and seen many come and go. Pinions is one of the finest restaurants you will find anywhere it can compete with the best from NYC, San Francisco, Chicago. Great deals for their early bird and bar menu, often the same portions as the regular menu at a great discount. Good bar, servers, no complaints.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

An attentive, cordial, helpful and pleasant wait staff and sommelier. An outstanding wine selection. An interesting and very tasty menu with willingness to "create" for the vegetarians among us. Little more needs to be said....

Reviewed 12 July 2014

If you want deliciously creative and innovative American/Colorado cuisine, this is the place. Beautifully located on the second floor of an historic building, you can never go wrong here. The local "game" meats are wonderful. The specials are spot on. The wine list superb. The only difficulty is getting a reservation.

TIP: Make your reservations for in advance if you want to diner here.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We hadn't eaten at Pinions for several years because reservations are hard to get (call Jim). It was worth the wait. Fine food. Excellent wine list. Friendly staff. Great location near everything.