“Still Very Good”
Review of Pinons Restaurant

Pinons Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Pinons Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 160 Restaurants in Aspen
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Austin, Texas
“Still Very Good”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We've been coming to Pinons off and on in summers for twenty years.

The good news is that the restaurant has maintained a generally high degree of quality for all that time. The setting is beautiful. The service is fine. The menu still emphasizes wonderful beef (especially the buffalo!) and fish selections. The appetizers are solid (especially the tuna tacos!). The wine selection is pricey but nice.

My main problem with Pinons is that it seems flat. It is what it was. There are no real advances, no creative evolution. The net effect is that while fine diners may generally find it reliable, I left last night with a bit of a blah feeling.

It got the check mark. But a great restaurant needs to strive for more, in my view.

• Visited August 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Terrible!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My partner and I stayed in Aspen for a couple of nights and ate at Pinons on our first evening. We had an 8:15pm reservation on a Monday. The restaurant was recommended to us by a friend, but the experience from start to finish can only be described as terrible!

When we arrived there was no welcome and we waited several minutes in a small entrance way to be acknowledged.

The dining space is dark and uninspiring. Most diners employed cell flash lights to read the menu.

The service was very impersonal. The waiting staff weren't inefficient, but you were constantly aware of where they were. They moved an empty chair at our table a number of times to serve the neighboring table. There seemed almost to be too many wait staff (noticeably all male).

The menu appeared to be a good mix of meat and fish dishes. However, I ordered chicken which they were all out of! As a second choice I had the beef filet which was very disappointing - over-cooked and tasteless. When I told the waiter he didn't seem too surprised at my complaint and offered straight away to comp it. My partner had the veal which was undercooked.

The wine list is extensive with considerable mark-ups on the mid range ($80-$200) wines. The wine we chose (although overpriced), and the fresh bread (two of the three different breads were tasty), were the best part of our meal. The sommelier was as disinterested in us as the other wait staff apart from when it came to overfilling my partner's glass.

You live and learn. Fine dining this is certainly not! There are lots of restaurants in Aspen so I would definitely not choose this one.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Sophie H
Aspen, Colorado
“One of the best restaurants in Aspen”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Being the 4th generation of my family that has lived in Aspen, I have seen and ate at many restaurants and seen many come and go. Pinions is one of the finest restaurants you will find anywhere it can compete with the best from NYC, San Francisco, Chicago. Great deals for their early bird and bar menu, often the same portions as the regular menu at a great discount. Good bar, servers, no complaints.

• Visited March 2014
Denver, Colorado
“Great food, great wine selection/special occasion”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

An attentive, cordial, helpful and pleasant wait staff and sommelier. An outstanding wine selection. An interesting and very tasty menu with willingness to "create" for the vegetarians among us. Little more needs to be said....

• Visited July 2014
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Creative and Innovative”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

If you want deliciously creative and innovative American/Colorado cuisine, this is the place. Beautifully located on the second floor of an historic building, you can never go wrong here. The local "game" meats are wonderful. The specials are spot on. The wine list superb. The only difficulty is getting a reservation.

TIP: Make your reservations for in advance if you want to diner here.

Visited March 2014