“Overrated”

The White House Tavern
Ranked #1 of 160 Restaurants in Aspen
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ottawa, Kansas
“Overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Service: Poor. Drinks ordered: rum & coke and bourbon & club soda. Drinks delivered: bourbon & coke and rum & club soda. Food: below average. Crispy chicken sandwich consists mainly of thin deep fried chicken breast, and an inch or more of slaw. Have had better fries at fast food restaurants. This should NOT be the number one restaurant in Aspen.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank JayhawkBBfans

Hopkins, Minnesota, USA
“Superb and worth the wait (try the bar to eat)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Small menu of light dishes but each dish superbly crafted. Host, bartender, and wait staff helpful and delightful. Can see why this is #1 in Aspen on Trip Advisor

Visited August 2014
New York City, New York
“Exceeded our Expecations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a delicious lunch! The food was absolutely as good, if not better, than we had heard. I think between the 8 people in our party we all basically got everything on the menu and each person was thrilled with their choice. I also want to especially thank the host Anderson who was beyond gracious when dealing with another party giving him a hard time therefore making my party wait even longer. Anderson handled the situation with extreme professionalism and such sweetness I had to give him a big when we left. Can't wait to go back! Ever think of opening one in NY????

• Visited August 2014
Denver, Colorado
“Superb service, great food and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We ate here twice during a recent visit to Aspen. Besides seeing the reviews on Trip Advisor, our hotel newsletter recommended the White House Tavern and the kale salad. They were correct on both. We got here early on a Friday evening and were able to secure an open table on the patio. Service was prompt and efficient and the manager each time went out of the way to ask us if everything was fine. I had the kale salad, the queso and guacamole dip duo and my husband had the macho salad. The finely chopped kale with small bits of mint and its light dressing were delicious. Our husband thought the cornbread croutons on his salad were the best he'd ever had. We came back for a weekday lunch and repeated our choices. I was surprised to learn that the WHT is part of the Hillstone chain since Hillstone is one of my favorite restaurants in Denver.

• Visited July 2014
Los Angeles, CA
“Cozy Atmosphere, Limited Menu, Super-Expensive Drinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Ok, so the White House Tavern is usually busy (for lunch or dinner) and doesn't take reservations. You can call up before you go over, though, and they will put you on a short list. Still, you have to wait.

Is the food good? Somewhat, if you can find something you like on the EXTREMELY limited menu. But here's a part of the menu that is unlimited: the drinks. You name it and they can make it. The bar runs nearly the entire length of the dining room and obviously the place survives on its drinks, which are $14 a pop. Maybe I don't drink enough to know but that seemed extremely expensive to me.

Is the food great? Not really, nor is it that special. Would I eat here again? Not necessarily, not if I didn't want to blow $100 for three of us or wait half an hour for a table, even if I had called ahead. Of course, the twenty somethings who furnished their parent's credit card to pay for it all didn't seem to care. If you're in that privileged group with nothing to do other than spend your family's ample funds that you yourself didn't earn, by all means enjoy yourself in deluxe downtown Aspen. Meanwhile, there are other places nearby that serve food that is as good or better.

• Visited July 2014

Been to The White House Tavern? Share your experiences!