“Amazing chicken vegetable soup”

The J Bar at the Hotel Jerome
Ranked #5 of 166 Restaurants in Aspen
Price range: US$8 - US$22
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Aspen's iconic J-Bar (short for "Jerome Bar") remains the town's social hot spot, with its lively yet casual dining atmosphere. Ski bums, socialites, cowboys and luminaries - from members of the Tenth Mountain Division to the late Hunter S.Thompson gather at this authentic bar for an hint of the Old West. Sit down, relax, and enjoy a beer, vintage-inspired cocktails and light dining fare for lunch or dinner. And don't pass on Aspen's best burger.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Waiter was extremely friendly and competent. But the chicken vegetable soup was the best my wife and I have ever experienced (and we are very particular!). Green pea hummus was exceptional and the burger was great.

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We were told to try the J Bar by our concierge at the St. Regis after asking for a good place for a burger....excellent choice!!! The place is very cool, stamped tin ceilings, wine glass chandeliers....and the burger was delicious!!!!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

No trip to Aspen is complete without a burger from the J-Bar. While the food has remained excellent (I can only speak to the burger because I'm pretty sure that is all I have ever ordered there) the service and atmosphere has gone down hill over the years. We went to dinner there on a Friday night, knowing it would be busy we happily sat in the hotel lounge and had drinks. After an hour we were called to our table, surprised by how fast we were seated, we were optimistic about dinner, despite the complaints we had heard from fellow skiers that week. Boy were we wrong. The place was still packed and people waiting were crammed in everywhere bumping chairs and practically leaning on the dining tables. While nice, our waitress clearly stretched to thin. She would disappear for long periods of time and forget things we had ordered. It took over 40 min just to get our check. In the end we found the lounge had been far more fun and next time we will just order our food there since they share a menu.

1  Thank phoebeuwec
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Have eaten here many times over the years while visiting Aspen and will likely continue to do so. This is a historic bar/dining area that dates back to the 19th century when Aspen was a mining town. Both the bar, itself and the decor harken back to that time period but, of course, there are several big-screen, TV's mounted throughout the roof also. On my most recent visit , I ordered the J-Bar hamburger. At 14 bucks, it might seem a little pricey but it's huge, cooked to your specification and comes with a large portion of fries, freshly cut, of course. I can't say it was outstanding but it was good and filled me up after a day of skiing at Highlands. I also had a side salad which I'd recommend skipping. For 5 bucks, it was tiny and tasted as if the kitchen staff skimped on the dressing. The wait staff here has always been friendly and efficient, as have been the bartenders-drinks are normally pretty strong too. A lively/reliable/dependable place to have a drink, bite to eat, watch the game or just people watch and shoot the breeze!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

we dropped by around 6pm for a drink on a sunday evening and then decided to stay in the bar and have something to eat too. Waitress was brisk with a veneer of friendliness. I ordered a salad but then made the mistake of choosing to have chicken with it. the chicken coating was so overly salty I couldn't eat it. should have stuck with the salad. Liked the décor and the atmosphere but food & service were not great.