“Great Place To Eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Zeno - CLOSED

Zeno
Cuisines: Italian, American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Simi Valley, California
“Great Place To Eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We got to Aspen and checked in the Little Nell, we got to Zeno before they were open for dinner but the manager said come in and she would see what she could do, the waitress was one of the best and everyone on the staff was beyond friendly. The food was excellent. We had 4 in our party and everyone was more than satisifed. Excellent, very happy couldn't ask for a better place to eat in Aspen.

• Visited June 2014

Connecticut
“Decent new addition to the Aspen restaurant scene”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I was so excited when I heard that Zeno was opening because its predecessor (the Aspen incarnation of New York’s Il Mulino) was a complete disaster. I’ve just had my second meal at Zeno, and I’d classify it as average with the ability to easily climb above average with some minor tweaks. Our group of four had inconsistent opinions of the food. I had the Beef Carpaccio with arugula, parmigiano and horseradish. This was the second time I’ve had this dish and I liked it quite a lot both times. My only complaint is in the menu description which lists horseradish instead of horseradish cream which is what is actually in the dish. I had Tagliatelle Bolognese as my main course and also liked it very much. The pasta was cooked correctly and the sauce was flavorful and rich without being overbearing. Also, the sauce to pasta ratio was just right. Another in my group had the Meat Lasagna (which I had tried last time) and thought it was quite good. Someone else tried the vegetable lasagna and thought it was below average. My main complaints, which are the basis for my three star rating instead of four, are as follows: 1) The bread was of low quality, it was presented in a paper bag such that all of it fell out onto the table as soon as the server put it down, and we were never given any olive oil or butter with it. I think that the quality of bread and the manner of presentation sets the stage for the whole experience, and this was a letdown (though easily fixable). 2) The service, though friendly, was unprofessional. Zeno seems to favor a method of serving that I just don’t understand…one person takes your order and someone entirely different delivers the food. It’s a small space, I don’t really get why the same person can’t accomplish both tasks, which would be a more pleasant and consistent experience for the patron. The person who delivered our food was friendly, but had no idea where it went. In both courses, everyone got someone else’s food, which was a distraction. The atmosphere at Zeno is pleasant and it is attractive, but the access awkward. When you approach the front of the restaurant, you see a door which looks like it should be the entrance (because it is glass and leads right into the restaurant), except that it’s locked and has no sign on it. If you are perceptive or have been there before, you can figure out that the entrance is through a different unmarked door to your left, which leads into a weird low anteroom where you can’t actually see the person who’s greeting you (though the person who greeted us was prompt and very friendly). The entrance and first impression would be greatly improved by some simple signage. The dining room itself is clad in the obligatory “rustic chic” rough sawn wood planks. The tables and chairs are simple wood, but comfortable. It’s an attractive look, but the space is separated into a front bar/dining area with a very high ceiling and a rear dining area with a very low ceiling. Unfortunately, neither space is especially comfortable or quiet. The high ceiling space feels to cavernous and the low ceiling space feels cramped. Overall, I like Zeno and would go back, especially if its management takes the initiative to make some small but significant improvements.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank 91150
New Jersey
“Expensive - Numerous Issues”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Poorly trained staff with numerous food and service issues.
Bread service in a paper bag - what a joke.
Staff doesn't know the food at all - told us vegetable lasagna was mostly zucchini and squash - was actually 80% mushrooms - NO zucchini or squash. Crusty brown tomato sauce on top!
Osso bucco - no seasoning - very off-putting grey color.
Dessert menu is completely uninspired.
Chef spends way too much time in restaurant instead of kitchen.

$100 pp with wine - that would be ok if it was at least marginally good!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank goldmich
Los Angeles, California
“What a great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We use to come in aspen summer and winter, this new open restaurant is what the city needed.
Finally a great Italian meal, with onset price for food wine and bar. We visit twice in 2 days. Lunch and dinner. Different menus, great healthy and good. Very enjoyable wine list and spirits collection.
We will definitely be back eating here on our summer visit. Highly recommended!!

• Visited February 2014
“Simply amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Amazing restaurant with one of the best view, the food very original Italian is amazing.
Beautiful service and one of the 3 best wine list in town.
Experience memorable to be repeated as soon as we will be back in town

• Visited February 2014