“Far from excellent service, an inconsistent kitchen, and an unforgettably weak manager.”
Review of Steak House No 316

Steak House No 316
Reserve with OpenTable
Steak House No 316 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 160 Restaurants in Aspen
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: One block down from our location in front of the Hotel Jerome
Description: Owners Craig and Samantha Cordts-Pearce of the Wild Fig and Brexi Brasserie have opened a new restaurant called Steak HOUSE No. 316. Exceptional prime steaks as well as fish & fowl.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

In a town with plenty of fine dining and excellent service, dinner at this popular Aspen steak house made one wish for the consistency and the comfort of Morton's or The Palm, never mind the more up-to-date big city meat emporia. The servers and other help were overworked and not particularly well trained. Our table was small for 8 diners cramming 6 in a u-shaped booth. The water server reached for the unfinished oyster plate without asking if we were done. We asked him a question and he apologized that he was new on the job.

The grilled shrimp were so undercooked they were translucent and had to be taken back to be grilled. The sautéed mushrooms could have come out of a can, and the vegetable dish we assumed was a warm main course turned out to be a cold raw vegetable salad marinated in vinegar and slathered in mustard grain.

Only at the conclusion of the meal did the waiter finally arrive to ask if everything was ok by which time we were marinated in our dissatisfaction. There was no apology for any misunderstanding, no offer of an alternative dish, certainly no removal of the offending item from the bill, only a perfunctory "thank you for coming". Indifferent service and spotty quality for a meal that cost $80 a person are bound to alienate many more customers unless the owners act expeditiously.

Kansas City, Kansas
“Nice atmosphere, good food but priced to high.”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The service and servers were very friendly. The outside patio was fun. The signature onion rings and crab cakes were both okay but nothing to write home about. The salads were also okay. We all got steaks which were very good (although not the best I have had this year) but they served them in an oblong high side pan which made it rather awkward to eat.

The thing that got us was everything is a la cart and pricy. With 5 people we got 2 salads, 2 appetizers, all of us got steaks, 1 mediocre twice baked potato, asparagus and no desserts. One person had one glass of house wine. Our bill ended up just over $90 per person. I have paid much more than this for a meal but we got a lot more for our meal. The food was good but not for the high price we paid for it.

Denver, Colorado
“Terrific Food; Very Nice Ambience; A Bit "Snooty"”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Caron and I rode up to Aspen for an extended weekend getaway. I'd made reservations for 6:00 on Saturday well in advance.
We arrived at 5:30 and apologized for being early. Apparently my attire wasn't quite up to snuff; my wife saw the hostess/sommelier roll her eyes. We're motorcyclists, not "bikers," and I thought my jeans, casual button-down short sleeved shirt and boots were, if not Aspen-stylish, at least adequate. Evidently, the hostess/sommelier disagreed.
Despite the arrogance, we had a delightful meal, and found that our money spent as well as anyone else's. We started with the crab cake appetizer. Crab cakes are our eternal holy grail; we try them almost everywhere we go. We are frequently disappointed. The crab cakes served here were on a par with the very best we've had (e.g., at Del Frisco's or Shanahan's).
I ordered the 8-ounce filet with the cognac peppercorn demi; Caron ordered the 6-ounce lobster tail with the roasted wild mushrooms. Both were simply outstanding. They have a very good wine list, too. The glass of Ridge Zinfandel I ordered was a terrific match for the peppery filet (no sommelier needed, thank you).
We shared the lemon crème brûlée for dessert, and it, too, was excellent.
With the exception of the greeting we received, the service was excellent throughout. And unlike so many comparable high-end steak houses, the music playing in the background was sophisticated and well-suited to the environment.
There's only one thing this place needs to earn the five stars I've given it: a new sommelier.

1 Thank Grumpy_Dutch
“Best Steak”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The bone-in rib eye was the best steak I have ever had. Perfectly seasoned served medium rare warm red center. Ordered sauce on the side and did not touch it as I wanted to keep it as prepared.

Sides are big enough to share and would like to see a way for couples to order in a way that reduces waste and table space.

Service was excellent. Total cost was $170 for two. That's expensive for my wife and me but as a treat we enjoyed it more than we would have if we had spent less but not had such a delicious meal and great service.

Thanks 316. We will be back and recommend to friends.

• Visited July 2013
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Great place to dine”
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful meal and experience at this great Steakhouse in Aspen, Co. a town with a plethora of good eats. From my initial phone call for reservations, to the great reception upon arriving all first class. Jake one of the Managers was so personable and made sure our experience was top notch. The wine choices were great including a great Keg Pinot Noir. The main course of NY strip was melt in your mouth superb. Sides enough for four to share also excellent. Service top notch and not rushed. Highly recommend.

Visited July 2013