“Charming and Great Value”
Review of Hotel Durant

Hotel Durant
Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
hotskis
“Charming and Great Value”
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Charming European style small hotel in great location close to lifts and pedestrian area.
Lobby is cozy with fireplace, couches, breakfast as well as wine and cheese after skiing which we truly enjoyed in the camaraderie of new friends. We found the hotel Durant to represent a great value in this overall fairlly expensive destination.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
texas
Reviewed 29 July 2008

We arrived during a rain storm only to find there was no parking. The lot adjacent to the hotel was for condo owners only. We parked there briefly to unload luggage, and someone quickly told us to move or BE TOWED! Trying to explain that we were only trying to unload luggage since it was raining was no use. We had to park down the street carrying luggage in the rain.
Upon entering the hotel and asking about the parking, the receptionist was unsympathetic. She replied that she could give us a street pass so as not to be ticketed. Ok, but that still meant parking a distance from the hotel.
Our room was very clean, and the linens were crisp. That was the only thing good about the small room with two small windows that overlooked a brick wall next door. No tub.
We left to go to dinner. Upon going down the old wooden steps of the hotel, I slipped on the slick wood and fell four steps down. The steps are old, uneven, and VERY slippery when wet. My husband went in to tell the receptionist. She was the ONLY staff we saw the whole time. She offered to get ice before going off duty at 9:00pm for my sore knee, ankle, and neck. We went to dinner, but by the time we got back to the room, I had several bruises. I had to keep ice on my neck and ankle all evening. The receptionist never had the owner or manager contact me to see how I was or offered any other assistance.
The next morning we had to leave around 7:20am. Breakfast was supposed to come with the room. We never saw ANY staff at this hour, and there was only a brown grocery bag on breakfast table filled with very dry scones. We took a couple from the bag, bit into them and promply threw them in the trash. There was no one on duty for us to speak with about any of the problems, and no one from the hotel has attempted to contact me since returning home. I am still bruised. We did tell the receptionist the night of the fall that the hotel should consider replacing the worn dangerous stairs. She just looked at us like she didn't care and repeated the offfer of ice.
We will NOT stay here again and do NOT recommend this place at all.

• Liked — crisp white linnens with European feel
  • Disliked — small room, no tub, horrible view of brick wall through small window, dangerous steps, cold recptionist, no management available, no concern for guests
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank speedotours
nyc
Reviewed 10 July 2008

I was so disappointed with this property. Our room was so small that they had to take our luggage out to store. I put food in the frig and it froze. I took a shower and it turned hot and cold. There was drilling outside the door from 9-6 pm. The breakfast was awful with no fresh fruit and foglers coffee. I needed to print boarding passes and they had no printer. I had to listen to something on the computer and they had no volume. I asked to change rooms and they gave me a new room in the basement with no drawers so we kept our clothes for 9 days on a chair. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at and a Super 8 Hotel for $49 was better.
The staff was very nice despite this louzy property

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — tiny dirty charmless dark room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robinnyc
Toronto
Reviewed 27 February 2008

I organized my very first trip to Aspen for the 2007 Christmas/New Year holiday. I booked with Hotel Durant and was very satisfied with this choice.

Obviously I attempted to first book with other "chic/popular" locations but they were all fully booked. I did some research on alternative locations (other than Sky, Nell, St Regis...etc) and I am very happy with my choice of staying at hotel Durant.

#1) Brian and is staff are amazing; they all go out of their way to make your stay the best it can be. We booked our hotel room in July 2007 for our December/January vacation. Make sure you book in advance so that you can get one of the "suites" - we had the Fireplace suite and considering it is the same price of all the other regular rooms it was sure worth planning ahead to get a larger room and a real wood burning fireplace. (note fireplace room is on the lower level of the hotel so if you don't want to be in the 'basement' then there are other options, but I was very happy with this room, and it is the only one of its kind in the hotel).
#2) The hotel is a small boutique like hotel - only 19 rooms, very quite.
#3) One of the best features of this hotel is that it is right on Durant Street - the main street. You are a 4 minute walk to the main gondola for Aspen mountain, and a 2 minute walk to Wagner park (where all the free buses stop to take you to the three other mountains). You can walk to everything in Aspen so the location of Hotel Durant was ideal.
#4) Compared to other hotels in Aspen this hotel has a great price. The staff is very personal and friendly. You can call the hotel and speak with Brian or Ruth and they can answer all of your questions about their hotel and Aspen.
#5) I would stay at Hotel Durant again!

• Liked — The location, the price, the friendly/helpful staff
  • Disliked — wasn't too modern, but then again you are in Aspen for Aspen - not your hotel room
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
St. Louis
Reviewed 3 February 2008

We have stayed at the Hotel Durant for more than 10 years in a row for ski season. It has a great location. very friendly staff, delicious apres ski with wine, cheeses, and cookies. Rhonda, Cynthia, Ruth and Brian will make your stay as comfortable as your second home. The rooms are on the small side but we are not here to sit in our rooms but ski and enjoy the town! I would recommend this property to any of my friends! Also, the hot tub outside is just what we need after a day of skiing. The town is just a few blocks away and we always walk. Contact me if you have any questions about staying at the Hotel Durant.

• Liked — The staff...they treat you like family!
  • Disliked — That it is not closer to home!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wc1208
Denver, CO
Reviewed 1 October 2007

While this place isn't terrible, it's certainly far from great. My title pretty much says it all... We had a "Garden level" room, to me that means slightly below ground not basement, which is what their "Garden level" actually is. The property is old and showing it's age. It's obvious the owner isn't interested in truly renovating it, and instead keeps it up in a rather hap-hazard/ barely sufficient manner. I would approximate the room was about 10' by 12', literally just enough room to walk around the king sized bed. Furnishings are somewhat dilapidated. The bathroom was abysmal. Like another reviewer mentioned, the noise that resulted from turning on the light (and connected fan) gave you the impression a helicopter was landing in the bathroom. Shower was itty-bitty, think broom closet size. Next to the shower was the toilet, in just enough space for it to fit, and then the wall, there is no way that you could have the bathroom door open and open the shower door. There are only like 19 rooms at this place, and yet housekeeping was vacuuming at 7 am on Saturday, talking super loud, and knocking on our door shortly there after. Do not stay there if you are a light sleeper, or at least bring ear plugs with you!
The most this place has going for it is the friendly and helpful staff, and the patio hot tub, which was lovely on a cold, slightly rainy night.
Like my title says, anywhere else on earth this place is a rip off, in Aspen it's acceptable because it's a room with a bed and a bathroom with running water for under $300/night.

• Liked — Friendly front desk staff, patio hot tub.
  • Disliked — Quality of the rooms, sixe of the rooms, bathrooms, noise, poorly managed ho
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Meg1028
Florida
Reviewed 26 August 2007

Hotel has excellent location. Staff was friendly. Continental breakfast was ok. Warm cookies in the afternoon. Rooms were VERY small. Bathroom was VERY small. You couldn't turn on the bathroom light without a VERY loud fan going on. Although we couldn't hear conversations in other rooms, you could hear toilets flushing and the lights turning on in bathrooms - not just the room closest to you. I am a somewhat light sleeper and it woke me up during the night - multiple times. Bed was comfortable and shower had good pressure. The water in the shower got somewhat hotter when someone else in the hotel flushed the toilet. For the money, i'd recommend seeing if there was another choice.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room size and noise
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family