“Overpriced...”

Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Seattle
“Overpriced...”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

My company paid for my room as I was in town for the Aspen Ideas Festival. I realize that the hotel can't control the fact that Aspen was experiencing a moth infestation, but they could leave the door of my room closed while cleaning the room. Every evening when I came back to the hotel, there were three or more large moths fluttering madly around the room.

The air conditioning consists of a wall unit that is so loud, it's not useable. The bathroom fan is also extremely loud. The location was convenient and I was glad to find bacon and eggs as part of the breakfast options, but the hot food is not kept hot once it's put out.

When I learned how much my company paid per night for the room, I was shocked. It was an OK room but incredibly overpriced. One of my co-workers tried to depart a day early; even though we have used the hotel for years and always book a block of rooms, they still tried to charge him for the early departure.

At check in, they told me they would charge some type of deposit fee to my credit card--that would later be removed. I have heard of this with debit cards, but never with a regular credit card--but they said it applies for ANY credit card. This makes no sense--also, the room had been pre-paid for, so it REALLY made no sense. These types of business practices were very surprising and disappointing; I've traveled a great deal and never come across anything like that.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for an internal room that's not overlooking a city sidewalk.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear WestCoastNomad,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your constructive comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm very sorry if we did not meet all of your your expectations. I did want to take just a moment to address a couple of your concerns. We do not have a moth infestation, they are naturally occuring creatures common in mountain areas, and are very attracted to the light in guest rooms. Due to the dark nature of the beautiful Aspen sky at night even a small light like a porch light will attract them, and they often fly quickly into a room with just a brief opening of a door. We do try our best to keep them out but it's just a part of living in a beautiful natural location. However, we'll try even harder to keep the pesky critters away.

As far as the room being overpriced - I do hope you compared our prices to most of our competitors, we are ususally at least 25% less expensive than most other Aspen hotels. Aspen can be a more expensive place to stay in general, and if our prices by themselves are compared to what you might expect in a different city I can see how they may seem higher, however please keep in mind that we include a full hot breakfast, free high speed internet, free parking, free airport transportation and many other included items that are usually extra at other hotels.

We clearly state our booking policies in advance with every reservation. When we make your reservation we guarantee that room for you for your entire stay, and during very busy times like the Ideas Festival we have turned away many other guests to accomodate your stay. While we greatly appreciate your business we cannot make exceptions for last minute changes, but we do make this clear to all guests well before their arrival.

Lastly, we do not assess any charges or deposits to guests when they arrive, we simply authorize a $25 amount on your credit card that is never actually charged to your card, this is to ensure we have payment for any incidentals that might be enjoyed while staying with us. If a debit card is used at check in, the bank may hold that amount until it is released upon departure, but that is completely out of our control and we discourage debit cards at check in for this reason, in fact, we have a large framed document sitting on the front desk thgat explains this. If you used a credit card I absolutely know for a fact that you were never charged a fee of any kind, and a simple look at your credit card statement will confirm this. I am sorry for any confusion this may have caused you.

We appreciate your comments and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future, I am happy to address any questions you may have and you may easily contact me at the email address below.

Best regards,

jeff.bay@hotelaspen.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We recently spent a summer week end at the Hotel Aspen and were very happy with our choice. The hotel is a bit of a throw-back from the outside- rooms open to outdoor corridors and there is no elevator to the second floor- but the rooms inside are attractive and stocked with all you could ask for- flat screen TV, coffee maker, microwave, fridge, safe, and a very pleasant balcony. Breakfast in a big room with a fireplace had everything you could want. The staff was friendly and helpful- when I went out for a swim the pool man came out to see if the water was warm enough for me, and turned it up a bit just to be sure I was comfortable. The location was perfect- a short walk to everything, but far enough away to be quiet.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear lucylaprof,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a nice review. We really appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again soon!

Take care,

Tigard, Oregon
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This hotel is on the main drag, close to the center of town. This hotel is not expensive to stay at, during the non-skiing season, but I here the price jumps up a lot, when the skiing is good. They serve a great breakfast on the second floor, above the front desk. This hotel is located in the midst of old Victorian homes. There is little designated parking, as you are competing with the neighboring homes. There are a lot of B&B around you. I've never had a room before that had a inside sitting area, between your room and the outside, in front. Both areas have curtains so you can watch the world go by, if you want. This area must be also used as a changing area, after a day of skiing or flirt with the passer byes. You find that a lot of people walk around here. We were here to photograph the autumn colors in Aspen. The drive to Maroon Bells is beautiful. We caught the changing Aspens at their peak color. I can imagine how beautiful this town must be in the winter snow. All the streets in town are lined with large trees. Come with all-wheel drive, if it's winter, and you won't be sorry. I looked to buy a vacation home here, and found that the median house value is about a million dollars, and this is no small town. It's year round population is about 7,000, and the winter population is close to 30,000. There are lots of restaurants in town, with a few fancy ones at ($$$).

Room Tip: Get a second floor room if you want quiet.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear Dave M.

I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a comprehensive and thorough review. I agree that Aspen is a special place and we are truly lucky to live and work here. I'm so glad you found the hotel to your liking and enjoyed our great location and amenities. We'll look forward to seeing you on your next visit, unless of course you pull the trigger on a second vacation home here!

Thanks,

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This was my first visit to Aspen and I was looking for an affordable hotel. The Hotel Aspen was referred to me by friends. I had a 1 bedroom suite with a mountain view that was absolutely beautiful. The room was spacious and very well-decorated plus the price was well within my budget.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
HotelAspen, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear rjtravel18,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a positive review, it really emphasizes our gr
eat location and amenities and tremendous value. Hope to see you again in Aspen soon!

Thanks, Jeff Bay - General Manager
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Spent a night in off season and found the accommodations great for the price. Room was comfortable and clean. Pool area was awesome and we enjoyed our time spent there. Hotel is in a great location with great restaurants within walking distance. Front desk staff very helpful and eager to please. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Diane C,

Thank you so much for your nice review, I'm so glad you had a great time and enjoyed the convenient location. Looking forward to your next visit.

Take care,

Jeff Bay, General Manager
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Close to the town center on Main St.
A comfortable hotel, huge beds, attractive breakfast room, friendly, helpful service.
No traffic noise. Superb views all around.
5 minute walk into town.
Very good value for Aspen.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
HotelAspen, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Hello Nickel 40,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback and review. Our location and value certainly is something we pride ourselves on. Looking forward to seeing you on another Aspen vacation soon.

Cheers,

Colorado
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Aspen this past weekend. As a family of 4 (two adults, two toddlers) finding an affordable and nice hotel in Aspen was important to us. I booked online (and saved money) so I knew I had the affordable part down (some hotels in Aspen are over $300 night and we got this hotel for $120 night). When we arrived, the girl at the front desk was swamped but very friendly to us. She even upgraded our room upon request to a more suitable room with a better view (and had the pack/n/play immediately moved over). We very much appreciated her level of service and obvious customer service skills. Unfortunately, our other dealings at the front desk were with a very unfriendly and rude man. Both interactions with him left us feeling slighted. Too bad the young girl didnt work more often. However the rest of our stay was nice. The hotel has a heated pool and our toddlers enjoyed that a great deal. The contenential breakfast was very nice - cereals, toasts, donuts, as well as, hot foods like eggs, bacon, and waffles. The room itself had a great view off of the balcony. The hotel is a bit old but the room overall was nice. The bed however was way too soft. And feather pillows only. Oh and it had a window air conditioner - noisy. Remember, this is a $120/night room - dont expect the Ritz. However it does have a fridge and microwave. So all in all we'd come back and stay in this hotel again. Its a great deal for Aspen. Plus there's a nice park right behind the hotel - perfect for young kids.

Room Tip: Ask for the 3rd floor - we were in room 323 and the views are great from the balcony!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Rillin,

Thank you so much for the detailed and balanced feedback. While I am pleased that you had an overall pleasant experience I do aapologize if any interaction with my staff was less than expected. I will share your feedback with my team and use it as a training tool to better our guest service. I hope that you will consider us for your travels on a future stay in Aspen.

Regards,