“very nice hotel at a bargin!!”
Review of Hotel Aspen

Hotel Aspen
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“very nice hotel at a bargin!!”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Had a good experience even though I only spent 1 night in this hotel after flying in late at night. this was my "stop over hotel" before going to another Aspen hotel. Having shuttle pick up at the airport was a nice touch. The hotel room is a good size and quite comfortable. Each room as a window AC unit which can get loud, so it can be a problem If you are a light sleeper. However, this was the only downside to my stay at the hotel aspen. The hotel has a spacious and relaxing common dinning area where the guests go for complementary self serve breakfast. This was my favorite part of the stay. The food selection was very good, with hot food like scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage. There were also yogurt, granola, donuts, pastry, and fresh fruits. All in all, this hotel is a great bargin for the accomodation and the free breakfast. All the staff that I met were super friendly and helpful. I asked the front desk staffer to call me a cab the next day so I can trasfer to another hotel. The front desk actually had their own valet take me to my new hotel so that no cab fare needed to be spent!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear 1024ori,

Thanks so much for the kind words and great review. Sorry if the A/C kept you up but we tried as best as we could to find the highest quality and Energy Star rated units to install. Hopefully it's better than being too warm :-) I'll pass on your compliments to the staff and we'll look forward to your next visit to Aspen!

Take care,

Jeff Bay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We spent the first night of our mini-moon at the Hotel Aspen. While obvviously an older hotel in design, it has been beautifully remodeled and has a great modern look to it. Upon check-in, we were upgraded to one of their rooms on the third floor with a jacuzzi on balcony. It was such a treat to wind down after the long wedding weekend in the spa while the snow/rain was falling!

The staff member who checked us in was very friendly and personable. He gave us some great restaurant recommendations all within easy walking distance of the hotel, and even provided an umbrella for the rain. While we were only visiting for one night, we found our stay to be very welcoming and relaxing.

Hotel Aspen offers an affordable option for visiting Aspen without compromising on the style or service you'd expect from a resort destination!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear ColoradoGirl1213,

First of all - Congratulations on your "mini-moon"! I'm so glad that we could be a part of making your special occasion memorable. I appreciate the warm compliments and I'll be sure to pass on your accolades to the staff. Shall we reserve a room for your first anniversary?

Best regards,

Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed here at the last minute on a fall - color trip through Aspen, and so glad we did. The rooms were large, clean, and well decorated. Great breakfast, with lots of choices. Front desk clerk was so friendly and helpful, and the price was right. Great location, as we could walk into town to eat that evening.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Ann M,

I so appreciate your great review and we're so pleased that you had a great fall vacation with us. I'll pass on your compliments to the staff and we'll look forward to your next visit with us.

Take care,

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is not a 5-star hotel but it is an excellent hotel. A fantastic location where you can walk anywhere in Aspen from. Breakfast is free and good enough. The staff is what makes this!! They were incredibly friendly and were very easy to talk to. The rooms are definitely drive to / walk-to style but they are in good condition and big enough. They have a small fridge and microwave, good sized flat screen TV and dedicated heating / cooling.

Aspen is a VERY expensive place to stay so, for the price, we were very happy. We typically stay in Marriott / Hilton style hotels and were a little anxious about "roughing it". Concerns were unfounded.

Room Tip: We were on the first level. It was nice not to have to play with stairs.
Dear Washout,

Thanks so much for the nice review and we appreciate your patronage. I'm glad that we overcame your fears of "roughing it" with us and that you could see that we are not a "budget hotel" but a "great value hotel" with amazing service, tons of free included amenities such as breakfast, parking, wifi, bikes, local and LD calls and much more included at no extra cost. We hope you can come back and visit us again soon.

All the best,

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We booked this room last-minute for one night in October while viewing fall colors. At check in we were told that due to an overbooking via Orbitz we were upgraded to a room with private hot tub on the balcony! Yes! Perfect, and the view was of the hills covered in fall foliage. Not dirty like a lot of small hot tubs...added the perfect touch. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the bedding very soft. Room was perfect, my only complaint is that the bathroom is tiny and the bathroom outlet and the only other outlet near a mirror were filled in and we were unable to plug appliances, hairdryers, etc. into them. Made the hair styling process a little difficult. Also the breakfast was advertised as a deluxe continental...wasn't that great. But for a free breakfast I can't complain...it was adequate for what we needed. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, and the hotel very quiet. The pool area is very nice and if it had been a little warmer we would've taken advantage. I definitely plan on staying here next time I'm in Aspen. It's an affordable option in a place that isn't known for being affordable. There is also a small sink area with a microwave and coffee pot. Very quiet and perfect for a good night's sleep. Also in walking distance of downtown, many restaurants, shops, etc.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear CONatureGirl,

I really appreciate your taking the time to let us know you had a great stay with us. Being a traditional Aspen Ski Lodge we are limited with the building design and amount of electrical outlets we have in the rooms, but we are always happy to provide a power strip or extension cord. As for our breakfast, we do indeed feature a full hot breakfast with the following items: We currently offer fresh eggs 2 ways, bacon, sausage, potatoes, bread, pastries, juice, coffee, cold cuts, cheese, fresh fruit, bagels, oatmeal, pancakes, cereal and more, all included at no extra charge.Thank you so much for your candid feedback and we certainly welcome any comments and suggestions that our guests may offer. We are always trying to make our included, free breakfast a positive experience and will look at adding additional items to enhance it.

Thanks again and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Regards,

Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Aspen on many different occasions over the past few years. Our friends from Europe came to ski with us in Aspen -- twice, and we also booked the rooms both times at the Hotel Aspen. We found the Hotel Aspen a comfortable place to stay -- it was our "go-to" place in Aspen if you will.

Well... this last weekend were passing through Aspen and stopped into book a room for the evening, it was off season and 4:00 in the afternoon. We were asked if we had stayed with them before. We were in the computer -- the young woman at the front desk said "yes" we have a room -- quoted us a rate of 114.00. We said great!! As I was paying with our credit card, for 10 minutes -- she looked up said the booking was being blocked?? She came back and said we could still book the room, only thing -- is it was over 3 times the quoted price. It went from $114.00 to $385 for the evening. It felt like this was a bait and switch tactic from a used car dealer!!

We decided not to book the room and went to the Westin Hotel in Snowmass instead, for even less $109.00.

Just wanted to share that the "loyalty you give" isn't equal to the "loyalty you get" at the Hotel Aspen.

Disappointed

Dear Don E,

My deepest apologies for the misunderstanding regarding your room rate for this last weekend. I can certainly understand why you would be disappointed and upset when we mistakenly offered you a room at at a rate that was not available. My front desk agent had accidentally clicked on the wrong date in our system and when they realized that they had made a mistake we should have handled it better. I assure you that there was no intentional deceit intended.

While you mention that you thought it was "off season" in Aspen we are actually quite busy with guests enjoying fall colors, weddings, sports tournaments and conferences. We are generally sold out on Fridays and Saturdays and when you visited the one or two remaining rooms that we had available were at a higher rate than we offer on weekdays. Nonetheless we should have made a greater effort to acknowledge our mistake and recognize your repeat patronage, which we are very grateful for.

I'm glad that you found a room at another hotel that worked within your budget, but I did want to mention that the hotel you stayed at is 10 miles away and not located on Main St. in downtown Aspen, nor does it offer the complimentary full hot breakfast, free parking, free wi-fi, free local and LD calls, free airport transportation and more that we include in our room rate at no extra charge.

That being said, I would like to try to make up for the mistake on our part and insure a perfect stay for you next time you may be in the Aspen area. You may contact me personally to arrange all the details and I assure you that I will do everything in my power to overcome any less than positive feelings you may have of us.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 6 October 2013

The Hotel is well situated in Aspen. The rooms were clean and well appointed. The breakfast was poor. Most hot items were tasteless and the pastries and bread items were hard. Disappointed that we had to ask for the room to be cleaned mid-afternoon when we returned having been out all morning.

Dear DycerJim,

Thank you so much for your candid feedback and we certainly welcome any comments and suggestions that our guests may offer. We are always trying to make our included, free breakfast a positive experience and will look at adding additional items to enhance it. We currently offer fresh eggs 2 ways, bacon, sausage, potatoes, bread, pastries, juice, coffee, cold cuts, cheese, fresh fruit, bagels, oatmeal, pancakes, cereal and more, all included at no extra charge. Also - we do thoroughly clean every room every day, and it's simply impossible to have every room complete by mid afternoon when we are busy, but if you let us know if you have a preferred time to have your room serviced we are more than happy to ensure this happens. I hope that you will come back and allow us to serve you again, I would be pleased to handle your reservation personally.,

Best regards,