“decent location, nice rooms for the price (for Aspen)”
Review of Hotel Aspen

Hotel Aspen
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Aspen
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“decent location, nice rooms for the price (for Aspen)”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My fiance and I got stuck at the airport after a family vacation in Aspen and needed a room last minute for one night. The hotel Aspen is nothing overly fancy but the front desk people were nice, the rooms were clean, and it was a short walk into downtown. The free "happy hour" was a nice touch, even though the food was a little gross!

Room Tip: i would go first floor so you don't have to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs!
1 Thank E E
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear E E,

Thanks so much for the great feedback and we appreciate your business. I hope you can come again and stay longer with us next time. I'm open to any suggestions on what we can do to improve our free included Ape's Ski reception with beer, wine, appetizers and soup, chili, tacos, wings, pizza, cookies and more. Most folks think it's a really nice addition to what is already a great value.

Thanks,.

Jeff Bay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Ansonia, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the room with the jacuzzi which was worth the extra money as the pool and communal jacuzzi was a bit of an outdoor walk away. The hotel, room, and breakfast were nice but for $400 per night we have higher expectations even in Aspen. The property could use a lift and pay attention to details. The daily happy hour was a surprise for us and we enjoyed it throughout our stay. The location is very convenient with bus stops near by and walking distance to all the shops and restaurants.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Anka O,

Thank you for your feedback and I certainly appreciate your comments. Aspen is a expensive place, and most places $400 will get you a 5 star hotel, but in Aspen our rates are usually about half of our competitors, and we include a full free hot breakfast, apres ski reception, free wifi, free parking, airport transportation, local and LD calls and much more at no additional charge. I guarantee you our more expensive competitors don't offer this. All in all I think we're a great value in a expensive place, but we appreciate your business and hopefully will have a chance to serve you again in the future.

Regards,

Washington, DC
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My siblings and I decided to do a trip to Aspen and were initially planning on staying at another property (I work for a competing hotel chain that has a nearby location in Aspen), however our plans fell through with my company and so we chose Hotel Aspen as our second choice. We were SO pleased with this hotel. Even before we arrived I received a welcome email from Kyle asking if we needed any recommendations for food or fun and he recommended some great places (White House Tavern - has to be the best burger in Aspen). We had some travel issues on the front end and Lindsey was still there to greet us later in the evening with our ski passes in hand, which after having arrived 12 hours later than we planned was so nice to have one less thing to worry about.

The room was so comfortable and slept all 3 of us perfectly (we had a fireplace suite). The showers were hot and the beds were soft. Also having the small kitchenette area was ideal for storing our snacks and drinks, although we hardly needed them since there was such a great spread laid out each morning for breakfast. The apres ski each day was also great. Lots of options for nibbles from veggies and dip to wings and hot dogs, not to mention local beer and wine :)

Thank you so much for helping our first siblings-only getaway to be worry-free and memorable. We will continue to highly recommend this property to everyone!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leigh M
Dear Leigh M,

Thanks so much for bringing your family and staying with us, I'm so glad you had a great time and enjoyed Aspen. You're correct about White House Tavern - next time try the fish sandwich! Yum. Come back and see us again so you can try it!

Cheers, Jeff

Kopavogur, Iceland
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed at Hotel Aspen with my wife from January 31st to February 5th. We were given a spacious and comfy room, quietly situated at the back, with the extra luxury of an electric fireplace or stove. This proved to be real treat during those bitterly cold February days and nights. (Great too for warming your ski boots and drying your outerwear after a powder day on the mountain!)

The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were very pleased with the complimentary and incredibly varied breakfast buffet, and even more so with the free, daily après ski feast, tastefully prepared by the skillful Ernesto & Co. A delicious experience indeed, not to missed and far exceeding our expectations.

The ski buses stop right in front of the hotel and the attractions of the city center are within a few minutes' walk. We sincerely recommend this fabulous hotel and will definitely return.

1 Thank SveinkCi
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear SveinkCi,

Thanks for travelling all the way from Iceland to visit us and we are so glad that you had a amazing time with us. I'll pass on your compliments to the staff and we hope that you can make another visit to our corner of the worl in the future.

Cheers,

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at Hotel Aspen for four nights, and It was a great experience. They had good tips on where to eat and go each night, and were helpful in any issues which arose. The daily free breakfasts were also delicious and a great way to start the day.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi suites here are nice.
Dear Bryan D,

Thanks so much for the great review and I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your trip to Aspen and our hotel. We strive to make every guest stay with us enjoyable and we hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best regards,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My wife, dog and I had to stay here at the last minute due to a cancelled flight that stranded us in Aspen for two days. The hotel we had been staying in did not have any rooms available so I searched online for a hotel and found the Hotel Aspen.

For the rate, the room was recently renovated, clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. This is definitely a small hotel and you shouldn't expect the 24x7 service of a luxury resort, but it's also priced to reflect that. The hotel is located just a few short blocks from the main strip of downtown and it was very easy to walk to lunch and dinner from our room despite a major snowstorm.

Dear trk75,

Were so glad that you dropped in and paid us a visit, but even more pleased that you had an amazing stay with us. Hopefully your next stay with us will be planned and you can relax for a bit longer with us.

All the best,

Detroit, Oregon
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Aspen from Jan 31st to Feb 4th for my Birthday vacation. It was the worst experience we have ever encountered. The biggest issue is the service and the way they handle issues. On a ski trip, a hot shower is important and we have not had a hot shower since arriving. Every time we went to shower it was cold. I called the front desk the first day and they apologized saying they had boiler issues and would get it fixed. We went skiing for the day and when we came back to the room we had cold showers again. I called the front desk and spoke with Morgan and she wasn't sure what was going on but said she would follow up. She did not follow up. The faucet was broken as well in the shower and we took pics but up to this point no one even came into our room to check it. Day 2 we still had not heard from a true manager. We were told he does not work weekends and Morgan is the front desk manager. So we took cold showers again. We came home at night after skiing and had another round of cold showers. Then when we came home from dinner the water was randomly a hot. The next morning it was hot for 1 shower and cold by the 2nd. We called Morgan and asked for someone to come take the water temp to prove it was cold. It took them over an hour to come and it was hot. Every time we would tell them it was cold, they would not check right away. We spoke with maintenance when he came to our room and he told us they have boiler issues and often run out of hot water during peak times and other guests had issues. Even though I called everyday I never spoke to the manager. They did offer us a 1.5 night refund or to move rooms but I would never stay here again.
Also the rooms are dirty and dated. The hot tub is tiny and the free internet is extremely slow. They have an option to pay to get decent internet. So we paid, we were charged, and then there was an error message and we did not receive the internet. I called the front desk and was told it was through a 3rd party company. This issue was never resolved during our stay. Also they did not give us a ski locker. We had to drag our wet skis into our carpeted room every night. The food is basic cheap food. The only good thing was the service by Ernesto who worked in the food area. I understand that things go wrong but I would expect better service and the ability to speak to a manager at least once during our stay. I picked this place based on tripadvisor and find it shocking how well management responds on here but not to guests directly during their stay. would suggest spending a little more to stay somewhere nicer.

3 Thank 27Megan
Dear 27 Megan,

I'm disappointed that you choose to write a obviously one sided and inaccurate review. As you should clearly remember, I personally spoke to you and addressed your concerns the day you departed, and my staff took great efforts to appease you while you were with us. You were compensated for the perceived hot water concerns, you were offered repeatedly a complimentary upgrade to a suite at a reduced cost, I personally spoke to you and apologized as well as made efforts to make the situation right and yet you choose not to include any of this in your review. I even followed up with you after you departed to see if there was more that we could do to persuade you to more accurately represent the facts.

Be that as it may, I trust that the readers of TripAdvisor will see that I respond to every single review, and work personally with every guest to ensure their satisfaction. The overwhelming majority of our reviews reflect this. I only hope that you might be less biased and more factual in other reviews you may choose to write.

Respectfully,