“meh”
Review of Hotel Aspen

Hotel Aspen
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The best part about our stay was the housekeeping staff. Our room was clean and our one encounter with the housekeeper was great. The location is very good, too. The room was small and the bathroom miniscule. I needed a towel to wipe a spill and in order to reach it had to step around the toilet and in doing so seriously stubbed my toe. Breakfast sounds great and complete, but the supplies were average, the fruit tasted as if it had been in the fridge a week, the bread was not great, the meats and cheese very ordinary. The alarm went off at 4:30 and it was not apparent how to turn it off, and went off again at 5. Admittedly, this is not the hotel's fault but not getting enough sleep colors our experience there. Not sure I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have mixed feelings about a review since overall the room was nicely appointed, service was fine and the staff extremely helpful and friendly. The pool was large and beautiful. The lounging area was large and the Breakfast was good by most standards. Pretty usual items.

We had asked for a first floor room and got an inboard room. This room seemed smaller than it was, probably due to a small window, large countertop/wet bar on one side of the room and a tight squeeze to close the door in the bathroom. If you keep the curtains drawn for privacy, the lighting never seemed to be enough in the main living area.

The street side rooms had sliding glass doors with access to a small outside area and would have probably been a better choice.

The hotel is on a corner of the main Blvd. but the side street is fairly quiet. For kids, or for relaxing, there are parks within a block on each side of the hotel.
It's within a short stroll to the main areas downtown and shuttles stop right across the street.

Room Tip: I'd stay there again but would ask for a 2nd floor room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Our first shock was the miniscule lobby, followed by the first room we were given. We went down two stairs then up a flight and down an outside hall that was so dark we could hardly see the lock in the middle of the day. The hall looked dirty, but I think it was just linoleum that was just so old the dark color had faded to gray. The staff was very accommodating and moved us to an end unit on the second (top floor). The room was okay but not worth the price ($299 plus tax per night), which was twice the price of a charming hotel where we stayed in Vail in the middle of the village. Maybe this is just Aspen pricing, but I would recommend you bypass Aspen for Vail.

The staff sincerely tried to make us happy but they could not overcome a tired motel masquerading as a hotel. The breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for an end room or one by the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zztraveler
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear zztraveler,

Thank you for your candid feedback and I sincerely apologize if any of your stay was not to your satisfaction. I can understand that the price you paid in Aspen was more than you paid in Vail, and arguably more than in many travel destinations. However, Aspen is a expensive destination and our rates are generally half of most other Aspen hotels. In addition we include a full hot breakfast, free parking, free bicycles,. free wifi, free airport transportation, free afternoon barbeques, free local and long distance calling, pool, hot tub and much more at no additional cost. Most of our competitors charge extra for all of these things, if even offered. we strive to provide great service (which you mentioned) in a clean comfortable surrounding. While we are not a brand new hotel we have taken great lengths to update and improve our hotel. I hope that you may give us another chance in the future to overcome your perception of Aspen and our hotel, and I offer my personal assistance in making sure your concerns are addressed.

Regards,

Jeff Bay

Reviewed 21 July 2014

After a long drive from Boulder, through the endless switchbacks on Colorado 82, and getting hailed on while taking photos at Independence Pass, we finally arrived at the Aspen Hotel. Checkin was smooth and we dragged our bags to the second floor (no elevator, but we knew that). The a/c wasn't working properly so when we left for dinner we reported the problem. We were told it would be fixed by the time we returned. You can guess what happened next. We got back and the a/c still didn't work. We were offered another room. On the first floor. So down we went with our stuff. The a/c seemed fine. Within 30 minutes it conked out. We were now offered an upgraded room that had a private hot tub -- on the third floor. We took it and this time we were offered assistance with our luggage. The a/c worked great. The next day the manager approached us and offered her sincerest apologies and comped our first night. Things can always go wrong when you travel, but it's how they are fixed that makes the difference. They made it right and we'll be back. A very nice hotel with people who were determined to make it right. P.S. -- while running the following morning, I severely rolled my ankle and never got to use the hot tub.

Room Tip: Make sure the a/c works
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 264steve

Dear 264Steve,

Thank you for your feedback and genuine compliments, I hope that your ankle is healing up and you are back in full swing. I am glad that we overcame your challenges and that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to you returning to Aspen!

Take care,

Jeff Bay

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have been traveling to Aspen, Colorado for a decade. This is the worst hotel in Aspen in my opinion. The room was dark and dank. The mattress was so saggy and soft it was like sleeping in a hammock. The air-conditioner was so loud it kept me awake whenever it clicked on during the night. The breakfast offered was inedible. I will say the staff tried their best when I made a specific request (like shampoo etc.), but that was the only good point. I checked out as soon as I could the next day. I travel a great deal in the U.S. and overseas. This was one of the worst places I've stayed.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Evelyn C,

I appreciate your candid feedback and I am truly sorry if your stay was not satisfactory. I am disappointed that i could not assist you in person while you were with us, but I would appreciate an opportunity to try and make things right for you. Please feel free to contact me at jeff.bay@hotelaspen.com and I will personally address your concerns.

Regards, Jeff

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was very disappointed when we arrived. The hotel was updated at some point as you can see in the pictures they provide online photos to make it look a much nicer.The room was very dark and depressing . If you are traveling with a family of 4 the rooms are not equip for it. Bathroom is very small and the kitchenette was not function-able. Refrigerator was to small to put small bottles of waters. They do not have elevators. Breakfast was ok. I found it to be overprice and very disappointing. Unfortunately we pre-paid for 3 nights when I expressed my disappointment to the management and asked to leave early and be refunded they said no. We left anyway and lost 300.00 I find this very unethical as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dao O

Dear Dao O,

Regards, Jeff

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed there for a week, while I was in Aspen for a conference (and some skiing).

The rooms are very nice and clean, but the hotel is extremely overpriced otherwise. The staff cannot deal with any unexpected situations (like having to print a paper bill). The breakfast is ok.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business