“Disappointed from the start”
Review of Hotel Aspen

Hotel Aspen
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Disappointed from the start”
Reviewed 15 December 2010

My wife and I booked our room online well ahead of time on the Hotel Aspen website. I booked a room with a private outdoor jacuzzi on the patio. When we arrived at Hotel Aspen we were told that they had accidentally overbooked. They told us we would be staying at their sister hotel, the Molly Gibson across the street, and to make up for the inconvenience we were given a bottle of wine and a bigger room which they said would be an upgrade. I looked at the prices and the room was not an upgrade. We did not have an outdoor jacuzzi, and the bottle of wine was one of those cheap $4 bottles. What a smack in the face! The room had a fireplace that when lit filled the room with smoke. The damper did not properly let the smoke out, so we could not use the fireplace. When someone books a room and receives confirmation, the expectation is to stay in that room during their vacation. They handled the situation poorly, and it set the tone for a rather disappointing trip that we had been looking forward to for a long time. I would not recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2_vagab0nds
HotelAspen, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 16 December 2010
Dear 2 Vagabonds,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us regarding the less than perfect experience you had with us at our hotel. Let me begin for apologizing wholeheartedly for the mistake on your reservation and our well intended but less than satisfying resolution.

I will not make excuses as to why we overbooked, we made a mistake and you should not have been inconvenienced as a result. I believe our staff made what they felt was a reasonable gesture to make your stay comfortable by moving you to a Deluxe room with private jetted tub and fireplace (the Jacuzzi room at Hotel Aspen would not have had a fireplace) and a bottle of wine, but our efforts fell short. During cold weather a wood burning fireplace will occaisionally down draft as the cold air comes down the chimney, but usually the situation is quickly resolved once a fire is going. Our maintenance staff is more than happy to assist in these situations. We do not have a restaurant and bar on property, so our staff chose a bottle of wine that we use at our Apres" ski reception, not fancy but good wine and it certainly was not meant as an insult to you of any kind.

I wish I would have had the chance to work with you personally on your challenges during your stay instead of replying to you here, but I would appreciate the oppportnity to have you stay with us as my guest at the Hotel Aspen at your convenience in the future. I believe you will find our hotel to be upscale, comfortable, friendly and an excellent experience. I'm confident that your feedback after actually experiencing the hotel will be extemely positive.

Jeff Bay C.H.A
Hotel Aspen - Molly Gibson Lodge
jeff.bay@hotelaspen.com
970-925-3441

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I guess the rates vary!! We came in the Eraly Season before the Christmas rush and had a hottub suite for less then $150/night IN ASPEN!!! a good breakfast and a good happy hour. I have to say the staff went out of their way to make us happy. We booked for 2010 already!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 December 2010

When we first arrived everything seemed very great, the front desk was helpful and kind. Great location and hotel room was very nice and clean. Later that evening though night staff were horrible and didn't know about anything around the town to top off that there were many drunk people in there pool and around the area not good especially when the rules say no bottles by there and of course there were! I'd say this hotel honestly is not for kids or families! And then when asked questions about the room no one knew any answers or even asked a manger! To top it off when check out know one was there and when tried to call the person who answered didn't even know were to leave the keys? Honestly know one knew there job's working there?...

• Stayed December 2010
HotelAspen, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
Dear Casewell 123,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us, we take your comments and opinions seriously and will take whatever steps we can to continue to improve our product and service.

I am sorry that some aspects of your stay were less than expected. We take pride in the quality of our service and our hotel, and our many positive reviews reflect this. You indicated that you found the hotel itself and your initial staff experiences very positive, thank you! I am truly sorry that some of our guests made it uncomfortable for you at our pool area and we will be more proactive in monitoring guest activities and making sure hotel regulations are followed. We certainly do not encourage behavior that disturbs other guests and sometimes it is out of our immediate control. I assure you that had we known that you were being bothered we would have asked the offending guests to be more respectful. It seems that occaisionally our guests who are on vacation are excited from the days activities in Aspen and the great skiing and can be very lively.

As far as any other of our staff not being able to give you sufficient information on the town and activities, I apologize. We try to make sure we hire local staff that can reccomend area activities and restaurants, and we will continue to educate them in the offerings in the commmunity.

Lastly, in an effort to keep our prices affordable we do not staff an overnight attendant, but we do provide a professional on-call service to take care of any guest needs. Many of our guests leave their keys in their room upon departure in the early hours, and I'm sorry if there was no one to take your keys in person. We'll look at adding a drop box or another system to allieviate this situation in the future.

We hope you enjoyed our extended complimentary Continental breakfast with fresh coffee, juices, tea and cocoa, made to order waffles, bagels and a toaster to heat them, fresh fruit, eggs, meats and cheeses, pastries, cereal and fresh bread. We also include complimentary parking, wireless internet, complimentary airport transportation and several daily newspapers including the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

We truly feel that if you compare our hotel to any other hotel in Aspen in our price range you will find that Hotel Aspen represents a tremendous value for the money and a warm, relaxing and comfortable lodging experience.

Thanks again for your comments, and we hope to see you back in Aspen and the Hotel Aspen soon,

Jeff Bay C.H.A.
Reviewed 1 November 2010

We came to Aspen for a hockey tournament. The entire team stayed at this hotel. Had trouble with the staff honoring the room rates they agreed upon when calling to book the rooms. They also dont tell you that they will charge your card 14 days before your arrival. That is in the fine print so be prepared for that. The room was nice. Beds very comfortable. Location great. Had hot water int he shower. Amenities were awesome. The free breakfast was terrible. Waffle maker died. They didnt keep the beverages replenished or chilled and the selection was minimal to say the least. We asked for a late check out when we checked in. 3pm was agreed upon. Had some trouble with our keys not working and when I went to get the keys re programmed I confirmed the late check out and the new person at the front desk did not accomodate saying we needed to be out by noon. Overall, I rate the hotel high but the service from the staff was very poor.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Clean rooms, friendly and more importantly helpful staff. They even had full breakfast until 10am.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Edwards, Colorado
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Our room could not have been more perfect for our needs - a small patio area outside that lead to a gassy area on the hotel property and then a park across the way. Just perfect. And close to the trail system along the river. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Hi there --

I would have to agree with some of the other honest comments about this "hotel."

Indeed, the folks at the front desk (especially Tatiana) were very nice and accomodating. Without an inquiry, she took the time to tell me the "must see's" in/around Aspen and places to eat. She was lovely....

The pool area is very nice and upscale but the rooms do not rate on the same level. Agreed that the picture of the hotel front makes it appear nicer than it is. The hallways are very dark and I too feel that this was once a very average motel that has had a descent makeover.

That said, make no mistake that it still has the feel / ambiance of a motel that has been madeover. While the beds were comfy and the bathroom had nice Rusk bath products the feel of the place felt very dated -- old windows...dimly lit hallways, etc.

Also, I totally agree about the breakfast...very mediocre and limited (cereal, milk, cold bagels, cream cheese, sliced turkey, OJ, tea, coffee).

Would I stay there again? Yes b/c it was descent enough. I would rather stay at a remodeled motel w/ a comfy, clean bed and a nice pool area than at a Super 8 (or something along those lines).

I always prefer 4 and 5 star hotels but for a three star I think it was about as good as you're going to get. It is centrally located in the heart of town...it felt safe (albeit the dimly lit hallways)...the staff was nice...the beds were very comfy and it was clean.

As long as you know what you're getting, you should be pleased with your stay.

Ciao....

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
HotelAspen, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, 14 October 2010
Dear Clarebearroy,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us, we take your comments and opinions seriously and will take whatever steps we can to continue to improve our product and services.

Just to clear up any misconceptions, the Hotel Aspen was never a motel, it was developed in the 1980's as a condominium hotel and when the current owners purchased it a few years ago they immediately embarked on a 2 million dollar complete renovation of the hotel. In the last 2 years all of the property’s 45 guestrooms were stripped to the core and renovated with wood floors, contemporary furnishings, plush bedding, new high efficiency Andersen windows and window treatments, new air conditioning and fully refurbished bathrooms. The poolside courtyard sports stylish, new Buddha beds, fire pit and water features and the interior and exterior of the Aspen landmark share a fresh color palette. Our property’s trademark friendly service and intimate feel remain unchanged. The result is an Aspen accommodation that is modern, stylish, yet still affordable.

We offer a extended complimentary Continental breakfast with fresh coffee, juices, tea and cocoa, made to order waffles, bagels and a toaster to heat them, fresh fruit, eggs, meats and cheeses, pastries, cereal and fresh bread. We also include complimentary parking, wireless internet, complimentary airport transportation and several daily newspapers including the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

Thanks again for your comments, and we hope to see you back in aspen and the Hotel Aspen soon,

Jeff Bay C.H.A.