“Far below typical Kimpton standards.”

Sky Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Monica, California
“Far below typical Kimpton standards.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

Before making my reservation I considered the large number of consistently poor reviews. But I really like the Philly and D.C. Kimptons, and so I took a chance. Part of the hotel is basically a remodeled motel from the 1960s/70s. Tiny rooms stuffed too full, aged fixtures, and rooms. Too much crap on the dresser taking up precious space. It’s greedy and inconsiderate to put a vending box out, in addition to the mini-bar. The room was so jammed full, it was claustrophobic. The remodels over the years have been third rate. After complaining, we were told the tower rooms cost more but I don’t recall being given the information that there were two classes or rooms. It’s not on their website either. Trust me, the photos on the web are nothing…nothing even close to reality. I blew it and over-paid for what was a huge disappointment.
The Kimpton brand is nearly unrecognizable aside from the worn cheeky touches here and there. One wonders why someone with corporate doesn't review the property and make the necessary changes. It causes me to question the brand. And finally…I don’t need a desk clerk to tell me…hey this is a good deal for Aspen. (Not exact words) And it is not true. There ARE better values in town.
I echo the words of another reviewer: Don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank RecessionaryMary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

Arrival: No one was available to help us with our car, the valets were useless. It took over 10 minutes to get the car sorted out.
Check-in: Again, it took a looooong time to check in and the room they gave us was dreadful.
We changed rooms...
The Room: If you want to stay in a motel room with furniture that someone with bad taste thinks is trendy, then this is your place!
Food: Eat somewhere else.
Pool: Poorly designed area, not enough space or choices for seating for guests.
Frankly, if you have come to this hotel to relax, you have made a grave error.
DO NOT STAY HERE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank AustinLFlynn
coreyE_Aspen, General Manager at Sky Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2010
Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback and some ways to improve on our product. I am sorry that you were disappointed with our product and service and we will certainly work toward correcting the things that you have mentioned in your review. I would love the opportunity to speak with you in more detail if you have some time that you could share additional thoughts with me. Please call the hotel if you some time and ask to speak to Corey.

Thanks again and I look forward to speaking to you.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

We stayed at the Sky Hotel for 3 days in July. It is clearly an older building that has been renovated - the rooms are small and the bathrooms are tiny (at least the room we stayed in). The bed was very comfortable.

The room alone I would have given a 3, however, the location of the hotel is great and I thought that the staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. The concierge, Andres, was very diligent and went out of his way to make sure we were happy. Both he and the front desk staff were alway happy to give recommendations for meals and actitivies for us to do.

If you are looking for a luxury experience, this hotel is not for you - but given the reasonable price, very friendly staff, and great location I would stay here again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank north726
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and services. Thanks for the positive review and recommendation of our hotel. We have passed your praise of our concierge team on to them and they are appreciative and happy to hear that they were able to help. Please let me know if you have any further comments you would like to share. I can be reached at the hotel and ask for Corey.

Thanks again and see you next time.
DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

I didn't smell anything, I slept soundly, found the service good, and location great. But the hotel looks a little worn. The wood doors are scratched and the floor in the 3rd floor hallway buckles. Basically it seemed tired. Additionally, it's WiFi sucks! I am a member of Kimpton Hotels special for travelers and did not have to pay for the internet...if I had to pay for it I would have been pissed! But for the cost (I got the government rate) it was good and they had a shuttle service that got me to and back from the Aspen Institute. If I were to returen I would stay there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank spreese
Thanks for giving us some feedback on Tripadvisor. I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to respond but I do very much appreciate your feedback. Thanks for the feedback on the Wifi and I'm hoping you can possibly clarify if your frustration was related to the speed of the wifi system, connectivity issues, or something else. If you can, please call me at the hotel and ask for Corey.

Thanks again and I look forward to speaking with you again in the future.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

The Sky Hotel is rather Kimpton like. It has all the Kimpton touches. The rooms are very small and do not have a lot of space. The bed is comfortable and the hotel is quiet. The staff is very stiff and not relaxed like other Kimpton properties. They are also not very good at answering questions, like Where should I eat? What would be good on a Tuesday night to do in Aspen, Colorado? Their standard answer is the 39 degrees has great food. 39 degrees is the hotels bar and restaurant.

They also do not replace the toiletries regularly or the coffee. For a Kimpton, I was let down a little bit in that they seemed disorganized and also not friendly. Most people in Aspen are very friendly. You are also required to pay for parking unless you want to park a long way away. The business center was not functional. The fitness center smelled of mold. Like I said, not your Kimpton.

Overall average. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank travelcityguy
Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback via Tripadvisor. I am sorry I haven't responded to you sooner. I am very sorry that you didn't have a better experience with our front of house or housekeeping staff. We will certainly continue working with our staff to become more friendly and make sure they aren't missing things based on your feedback. I would love to have the opportunity to speak to you more about what we can do to improve. If you have some time, please call me at the hotel and ask for Corey.

Thanks again for the feedback and I look forward to speaking to you again.
Naples florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

The hotel constantly smells like sewage and the Ozium cover up fragrance. How do I know? I lived in Aspen for 3 years. It always smells. They have a sewer issue which is ongoing. If you order a Junior suite likely you will be on hte ground floor facing a parking lot with a motel like entrance so if you must stay here get a standard room which is nicer and cheaper. We were overcharged... paid about $400 a night and moved to a cheaper room and were never refunded. Cocktail waitresses are friendly particularly the South African blondes. Stay at either the Little Nell or at the residences at the Little Nell. Pool is typically filthy and foamy. Hot tub is never very hot. I like the staff... but the hotel is poor.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank turtlesavior
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

Stayed off season in May, (but still able to get in a round of golf). I always try to stay at Kimptons, tricky given their prices- but we caught this off season and under $200.00. Obviously a major upgrade of a tired old hotel. Kimpton cool evident in the lobby, bar, pool area and the rooms. Rooms are small, bathrooms smaller, but if they room has style I can deal. May be a bit cramped for a long stay. Bartenders were great, manager bought us a round and the appetizers were to die for. Bartender told us to check out Kenichi for sushi- very good call. Breakfast was fantastic, $15.00 for continental with heaps of fresh fruit (kiwis, strawberries), very fresh and good yogurt, smoked salmon, muesli. Bummer no dinner restaurant but there are so many to walk to. Wanted to stay their again this month but the rates are pushing $300.00 (summer season is on)..., next time.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business