“Sweet Sweet Seclusion”

Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Aspen
Boulder, Colorado
“Sweet Sweet Seclusion”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in August, while following the Tour of Colorado bike race (technically, the USA Pro Cycling Challenge).

This is the type of hotel you stay at, where you don't quite feel like you're even AT a hotel. You feel like some rich friends just let you stay at their Aspen condo for a couple of days. Not in a luxurious sort of way, but in a very homey sort of way. All the furniture was incredibly modern - imagine if Don Draper decided to design the interior of a spaceship with Ikea furniture from the future.

The first thing I noticed was the TV. Each room actually has its own HD cable box, and you weren't watching this incredibly down-graded hotel feed that had to be sent to 1000s of rooms. It's little things like this that make this such a different hotel to stay at.

After riding a bike up (and down) Independence Pass to watch the race (in the rain), the last thing I wanted, was to come back a rowdy hotel with bad service and gross food. Instead, I came back to a place that felt like my secluded vacation home, and decided to walked across the street to the lobby for some much needed grub and libations.

When I arrive, I notice that the bar didn't have a bartender. As soon as I sit down, the front desk manager comes over and makes me a drink. He easily could have made me wait a couple of minutes for the bartender to come back up - just really great attention to service. His gin and tonic wasn't as quite good as the bartender's, but thats service you just aren't going to get anywhere else, and it was much appreciated :)

It might have just been the fact that I was really really hungry, but the hamburger you can get off of the bar menu was just out of this world. Perfect end to the day. Keep your eye out for someone famous, I ended up sitting at the bar next to the private jet pilot of a very well-known Colorado cyclist!

Room Tip: Use Priceline's name-your-own-price to get a room. I ended up paying only half of the normal rat...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Los Gatos, CA
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed in Jan. 2012 for4 night in this resort. It was not my first choice, but you really have to book places way in Advanced in Aspen. I would say its more like a 3 star resort, not 4
Place is very close to the town and Staff is very helpful.
Breakfast buffet is nice and children under 12 eat free. that was nice :)
Did not try the dinner at the resort, but bar/lodge area is nice with big fire place.
Complimentary coffee/tea in the morning.
Nice gym pool area. Great grounds to take a long walk.
Storage for the ski was nice. We drop our skis right when we checked in.
Room was warm and fireplace keeps the place warm for a long time
Resort building is pretty old, and reminds me of Sweden apartments.
No elevator in the building. Rooms are not very sound prove.
If some people have to catch an early flight and moving they luggage (no elevator), you will hear all of it if your room right next to the entrance door.

Room Tip: First floor, if you have to carry a lot of luggage. ski/ski boots, but away from the entrance door.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
JudHawk_Aspen, General Manager at Aspen Meadows Resort, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Dear natalyaca,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the staff working at Aspen Meadows Resort. Yes our location is perfectly situated in Aspen allowing one to enjoy close proximity to all four of the Aspen/Snowmass Ski Mountains, shopping or dining as well the beautiful environs around the property for outside exercise. There are a number of trails our guests can access right here on the resort grounds.

I appreciate your mentioning that we are a three star resort- that is true; we are inspected, rated and annually meet those standards. I believe we receive 4 and 5 star ratings from many of our guests specifically due to our high focus on customer service.

The property was first built in the mid 1950s with regular upgrades for interior design and decor; however the original Bauhaus building architecture, exterior landscaping and interiors remain as designed. Today we are historically recognized and were just featured in the Architectural Digest December 2011 issue.

If I can be of service in any way, please contact me. My telephone and email address are listed below.

Jud Hawk
Jud.hawk@aspenmeadows.com
970 544 7811
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed at the Aspen Meadows Dec 2011 for 5 nights. Large rooms with a minimalist room, separate seating area and a basic kitcken with small fridge, microwave oven and a sink. Great towels! Our seating area had a beautiful view of the mountains. This is a large property, so you can walk around using several trails. Although the location is a little secluded in a residential area, there is a shuttle service to town every 30 minutes. The service was impecable, from the front desk, to the shuttle drivers, to the restaurant. I do not believe there is a concierge, but the front desk people were always very hepful and patient. All in all, excelent value for money, and we will be back next ski season.

Room Tip: Try to get a 2nd floor room preferably at the end of one of the buildings. We loved our view of Aspe...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 24 December 2011

I checked into a 50 degree room... and after complaining twice -- they found that the boiler wasn't even on! They brought a space heater (which didn't really help.) 5 hours into the issue -- I was still bundled in sweaters hiding under the covers.

I suspect if you get a room that works then this place could be acceptable.

Oh -- by the way -- there were moths and spiders in my shower -- gross

Beware of room #731 -- it was terrible for my winter stay!

- Jamie Y

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
kansas city
Reviewed 19 December 2011

My fiance and I stayed at Aspen Meadows 10/15/11 for one night. The resort is located on the West end of town away from everything else. From the pictures and reviews, I was expecting something on the upscale end and unfortunately, we felt as though the rooms were decorated with IKEA furniture (...they call it contemporary furnishings). The room was very spacious and because we were on the top floor with a room on the end of one of the buildings, we had tons of natural light and unbelievable views of Aspen. We weren't very impressed by the outside of the buildings as they reminded us of being at camp. There were some minor renovations needed and our bathroom counter was covered with dead bugs. As for the property itself, we loved that it was secluded and the views were beautiful with the changing of the seasons. We took advantage of the short hiking trail located on property and took some great pictures. We did not eat on site but saw a wedding reception which utilized the indoor and outdoor space in the main building. We also didn't take advantage of the free airport shuttle or shuttle into town because we had a car but thought these were great extras as part of the overall value of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the end of a building with windows lining an entire side of the room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 9 December 2011

If you like the minimalist, industrial look, this is the place for you. However, we were there at the beginning of the holiday season, and unlike the other hotels in town, Aspen Meadows was not festively decorated - not even a fire in the fireplace.
The suites are roomy and bright, the staff was delightful, the spa and pool were very nice, and the shuttle was very convenient.
I'd recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank checkel
JudHawk_Aspen, General Manager at Aspen Meadows Resort, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Dear checkel,

Thank you so much for your recommendation of the Aspen Meadows Resort, we are always grateful to receive our guests comments, suggestions, and recommendations! Please forgive me for our delay in installing the holiday decorations. We have installed décor with a completely new look from prior years in all public areas where guests will enjoy the resort and are very excited how these new decorations complement the unique Bauhaus Architecture of our property.

Again thank you for your very positive account of your experience while our guest. I hope we can continue to be your property of choice when traveling to Aspen!

Jud Hawk
Branford, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I have been to Colorado numerous times and to Aspen only once previously.When ny wife and I wanted to celebrate our 5th wedding aniversary (Which Falls in October) we searched travel package deals and ended up here,We were more than happy with the accomidations,the service(they drive you to and pick you up any local destination at no extra charge) the history(the Aspen Institute is onsite) and we even saw some wildlife up close and personal.This is a great value for Aspen!We were there for foilage and early snow!We had to spend an extra day due to the storm AWWWWWW well we suffered through.

Room Tip: It seems there are all good rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple