The Limelight Hotel
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We have always stayed at the Limelite (former spelling)/Limelight - for 37 years! When the new owners took over last year, we admit, we were somewhat skeptical of the overal quality and service with which we have been accustomed. Last year, the atmosphere was somewhat tense which is understandable; however, this year was like coming home as it had been. We made a few new friends at the lodge with whom we hope to stay in contact. We gained an immediate and friendly connection with a few of the new staff members.

You will NOT find better service in town no matter the price you would pay. We know you will find your stay at the Limelight Lodge in Aspen, Colorado as pleasant as we have. It is like experiencing the warmth of family!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Limelightlodge, General Manager at The Limelight Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2011

UteCitySlicker,

Wow-From the Paas Family to us your commitment to the Limelight over the past 37 years is amazing and appreciated! I am glad to know that we were able to convey a feeling of warmth to you! We have a great staff here as you mentioned in your review and they take great pride in creating this type of atmosphere for our guests. From all of us at the Limelight, we look forward to welcoming you back!

Richard Stettner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,235)

Reviewed 25 September 2011

Physically excellent. Staff could polite but could have been more knowledgeable.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 24 September 2011

What a gem this is! Right in the heart of Aspen, Limelight Lodge has the look and vibe of a modern ski lodge with high end finishings. The name is deceiving – I imagined an old lodge past its prime, but it is definitely the opposite. The name is derived from the 1960s LimeLiters folk singing group who frequently played in the bar that occupied the spot where the Limelight Lodge was later constructed.

There is a large airy public/commons area that has a very good feel about it. It is utilized for the morning (complimentary) breakfast, a gathering spot for new and old friends, and in the afternoon becomes a bar and Italian restaurant with a brief but interesting menu (pizzas from the pizza oven, pasta dishes, salads). A great place to hang out. Breakfast is “European Contintental”: cold meats, cheeses, breads, bagels, yogurt, granola, fruit, cereals, pastries, etc. A huge array of lox and bagels were also provided on the Sunday we were there. Definitely a major cut above most complimentary continental breakfasts I’ve encountered. All was very tasty and high quality.

The rooms are large, airy, and very comfortable. Beds are great, bedding is double sheeted down comforter. Large nightstands provide plenty of room to store books, etc bedside. A large dresser and very large closet (with shelving and in-room safe) provide lots of room for clothing and gear storage. The king room we were in was large enough to also easily accommodate a sofa and a desk. It also included a “kitchenette” with a small refrigerator, microwave, Keurig coffee maker, and bar sink. The only caution: room 114 is lovely but has no windows, just large double doors that open onto the public swimming pool/hot tub area. The hotel staff also mentioned that there are 2 or 3 other rooms in the hotel with windows that don’t open. If you like to sleep with windows open, make a special request not to be booked into 114 or one of these other rooms.

Bathrooms are marble & granite and have a luxurious feel about them. Again, lots of storage space for guest’s bring-along toiletries and the quality of the soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion provided is very high. There is a lighted make-up mirror (with magnification) and a high end hair dryer that – gasp – isn’t attached to the wall! This makes it much easier to not bogart the bathroom when drying one’s hair (not to mention making it faster than trying to do so in a steamy bath). Unusually well thought-out.

The room design was also convenient for those that travel with an abundance of electronic gadgets. There are electrical outlets everywhere. No more crawling under the bed or unplugging all the lamps in the room to find a way to re-charge your toys.

Finally, I can’t say enough positive things about the staff here. Friendly, outgoing, competent, and well-trained they all go the extra mile to ensure that patrons have a pleasant stay. For example, upon check-in we found that we had been assigned room 114 (not knowing that room’s limitations we had not requested windows that open). Due to a large rugby tournament in town the hotel was 100% booked. The front desk staff (all four of them working in tandem) were able to juggle around a few rooms and relocate us to a higher floor with opening windows. They did so cheerfully and quickly, then volunteered to help us move our luggage. Likewise, the staff in the breakfast/bar/commons area were all very efficient, yet warm and friendly.

Limelight Lodge earns my highest recommendation – a full 5 stars.

Room Tip: Room 114 has no windows, only double doors that open to commons/swimming pool area
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I must say I was getting hesitant about staying here given some of the reviews about people being given wrong rooms and rugby week and such but when this hotel gets it right; it is a wonderful place to stay.

I guess I should state we also stayed during rugby week though it was not the reason for our stay.

We were greeted quite cordially by staff and upon entry of our 2 queen with fireplace room, my mom melted. We were both elated over the accommodation. It had a split bath area. The main area had a huge deep tub with double vanity and sit down shower. Walk out a few steps down the hall and there is the second bath area. It had a sink and toilet. The amenities were Olivia – a very creamy olive oil based bath product. Everything was spotless. The closet was huge. The TV was medium size but viewable from both beds. The fireplace is on a timer, which I like, so if I snooze while watching TV I don’t have to worry because it goes off automatically.

There is a large sitting area for extra luggage - I like an area to open all my stuff and not hinder the walk way. The beds were awesome.
The continental breakfast was the best on our 10 day trip across Colorado. They have a European flair with an offering of cheese and meat along with yogurt and hearty granola. They also have cereal, fruit and donuts. A selection of juice, milk coffee and teas are also available.

The staff helped us with great places to eat. Jimmy’s was our favorite and JBar at Hotel Jerome is famous and a hot spot for drinking and socializing but the food was just ok. They do have great hot pepper soup. The shuttle service really saved us. My mom is going on 80 and even a few blocks can really take a toll on her. Mike drove us to our eating destination and picked us up when we called that we were done. Mom said I specifically had to mention him by name and say how wonderful he was and I agree. If you do not have limited abilities, walking distance is not a problem to many fine eating places. Parking is a premium in Aspen.

Speaking of parking, it is not free at the hotel. You can find some spots for 2 hours. You can opt for a $5 pass which I am not sure if this is for the entire visit or per day. It gives you the privilege of parking anywhere you can find a spot – except handicap of course unless you are handicap. My mom is. However, I opted to pay $15 per day for underground parking and it was right next to the elevator for her. If it were just me, I would have opted for the $5 pass. You can find spots unless you come in later than normal when everyone is in. Someone had mentioned in a review about the $15 parking but I can see where they need to charge this. It is very limited underground – maybe 60 places. So, the hotel would need to be exclusive with this and there are those like my mom who really need this.
We never heard the rugby players as I expected we would.

Are there any negatives? Yes, we were located directly over the entrance to the hotel and at night while just getting to sleep I could hear several people but it eventually calmed down around 11 – midnight. The only other negative for me was the reservation. When I first made the reservation on line, I never selected AAA discount because I could not find it. When I received the PDF confirmation it obviously was not on there so I called to correct it. Over and over they kept saying it was on there, but it was not. I had quite a few conversations before anyone understood me and finally it got corrected.

After the trip I was charged a bottle of water which we only drink Fuji or Evian (mom insists) so I called the hotel and they did correct. I do have to say though I remember 2 bottles being in there when I checked the frig as I left. It disturbs me slightly that housekeeping would put this down.

Still, of all the hotels on our trip, my mom voted this the best we stayed at and I ranked it equal to another in Ouray.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Limelightlodge, General Manager at The Limelight Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

HazelEyesFromTN,

It seems as though you and your mom had a great vacation and tour across Colorado. I am glad to know that your stay with us was enjoyable! Our staff does try to go above and beyond for all of our guests and Mike is a great example of that service ethic we have. I appreciate your feedback about your experience with us and look forward to welcoming you back!

Thank you!

Richard Stettner

Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed one night in a room on the 4th floor. It had a HUGE terrace with a beautiful view of the town and surrounding mountains. The staff was excellent and very accommodating. The bar/lounge was so comfortable with leather couches and a beautiful fireplace. Highly recommend and will stay again next time we're in town.

Room Tip: Fourth floor has beautiful big terraces.
Reviewed 19 September 2011

There are certainly more expensive hotel options in Aspen. And although the Limelight isn't cheap (remember, you are in Aspen!), it is exceptional in so many ways.

First, you park your car in the garage or on the street (Limelight will sell you a $5 street parking pass that is worth every penny) and forget about it. The location of the hotel makes it possible to walk anywhere in town.

Second, it is obvious that the staff genuinely enjoys working there. Even the housekeeping staff, which at most hotels will do anything to avoid eye contact, are eager to engage and always flash a genuine smile. Also, can't say enough about the bar manager, Henning, and the entire staff that works in the lobby restaurant area. These are genuinely nice people who really want to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Third, the breakfast that is included the room rate is excellent. It's a continental style but so much better than the typical continental breakfast. The homemade granola is fantastic, there are hard boiled eggs, cold cuts, juices, coffee, bagels, pastries, fresh fruit, and the list goes on. The breakfast is served in the main lobby area, which is beautiful, and there is plenty of staff on the floor to restock food, clear plates, and keep everything running smoothly. Also, the pizzas they serve in the lobby in the afternoon and evenings are excellent. Thin crust, cooked to perfection in the exposed pizza oven, and an excellent value.

Lastly, the property is new and very pretty. The saline pool and huge hot tubs are beautiful, there is plenty of natural light in the rooms and hallways, and everything is very clean and well maintained.

Have a great stay at the Limelight. It's a great hotel at a reasonable price with great amenities and the best location.

Reviewed 15 September 2011

We are still at The Limelight as this review is being written. The room is fine, the location is great, and the staff very friendly and accommodating. The one thing that is making our stay somewhat unpleasant is the presence of the rugby players who have taken over the lobby of this hotel. There is a very large group of 40-60 year old rugby players staying here and playing on the field right across the street. It has also been raining on and off all the while we have been here. So these guys play rugby all day, then come back to the hotel lobby, all sweaty, injured, and caked in mud, and proceed to treat the lobby like it is their personal locker room! They take their shirts off to get a rub down from a therapist, lay all over the furniture and floor covered in mud, and hang around like that for hours. Not only does it make it difficult to find a spot to sit in in the otherwise very inviting lobby, one also has to endure seeing and smelling them. Trust me---they are not a pretty sight. I did speak to one of the hotel representatives at the desk about this. He sounded sympathetic and said he would see what could be done, but I didn't get the sense that he really got how offensive these guys were. So bottom line---this is a really good place to stay in downtown Aspen, but you might want to check first to see if the rugby players will be there at the same time.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor which was fine, but heard the rooms on the fourth floor were nicer